Aguilar DB750...Love it, Hate it, or Must Have? Talk me out of it...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tommixx, Jun 11, 2005.

1. First of all, I LOVE my T-Funk, one of the best if not THE best amps I have had over the years....I had a chance to pick up a DB 359 not once but TWICE in the last few days but it did not work out for whatever reason but it got me wondering....How about new a DB750 with the 10 year warranty???? I KNOW, I am insane, and I KNOW, I do NOT need any more gear, but what the hell, you only live once!!! I have never had an Aggie amp before and believe it or not have never really played through one (Aggie amp that is, I do have a DB680 currently that I have had for about 5 years or so and it is one of those pieces I will never get rid of!!) I am thinking that my El Whappo would LOVE that Aggie Tube zest with that nice high power rating the 750 has!!!

Anyway, I was hoping that any of you guys that have a 750 can give me some ideas on how it would match up with my NYC Vintage 4 Sadowsky (Alder/Morado) and the NYC Standard 4 (Ash/Maple) that I have on order and my El Whappo....I do not have any way to try one as nobody has one anywhere near me but like I said I do have a 680 now so I have some reference point....if anyone who has both the 750 and the 680 could compare the pre section that would probably be helpful....I also have an Avalon VT737 that I am gonna pair with my CA9 at a club gig tonight just to "get my feet wet"....I have been playing the T-Funk and have yet to do 4 sets with the VT737 rig but I am looking forward to it!!! The 680/CA9 rig is awesome!! I am hoiping that the 750 would give me something similar in a lighter package (but not that much lighter I guess??)

I am hoping that somebody can talk me out of it or into it as it were.....Many Thanks in advance....

By the way, I did a search but did not find much that was helpful....

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I highly recommend the 750. I gigged last night and here was my rig:

Whappo Jr.
    Reverend Rumblefish

The 750 is a POWERFUL amp. I ran both the gain and master at 9:00 o'clock (very small volume) and my sound was awesome (Accuswitch at 8 ohms). The amp pumps good tone at any volume. Last week I played an outdoor gig and used this rig:

Bergantino NV425
    Reverend Rumblefish

I had the gain at 9:00 and the master at 12:00. No need for me to go through the PA. In fact, I was asked to turn down!

GET IT! Life is too short for settleing. If you don't like it, you still have a Thunderfunk!

P.S. I have a DB728 that I am dying to use in conjunction with the 750 someday. Thank God I need to save some $ for the new tubes, because I think that combo could shift the moon's orbit. Oh, yeah, your Sadowsky should kill with the 750!
  3. WOW!! Thanks!! (I think, that certainly did not ease the GAS!!)) LOL!!) Sounds like you have a great rig there yourself.....I know that the Whappo Jr must have been kicking and I bet the Bergie was sweet Old School....I really liked my Bergie Mini Stack But needed a single cab for a tour I have coming up....thanks for your help...I think...I agree about my T-Funk worse case scenario I'd still have it!! (I actually have 2 of them!! I picked up a second one to have here at the house!)Todld ya'll I love it!!!

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Y'know Tom, I've already hooked you in that other thread, but if old school is your tone, then the DB 750 is a must.
  5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I just received a DB 750 tuesday and have not had a chance to gig with it yet. I'm running thru and LDS neo 210 and and old Eden 410T. It is far louder and fatter with one cab (the 210) then my Eden traveler was with both. I'm running a Sadowsky RV5 and I can't imagine a fatter more "old school" sound that still has articulation and definition! Very impressed, but it hasn't been out of the house. So the gain or the volume have not been above 3, bass at about 6!
  6. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    You see TONS of those amps for sale used... I'm not too sure thats pure coincidence
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Care to elaborate?
  8. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I recently had the pleasure of trying one and really liked it. I am rethinking my current rig (Eden of course).

Another piece I really want to try is the Demeter VTB-201S. Rob highly recommends it.

I guess it depends on the tone you are after. I know a guy that went from the Aggie 659 Pre to the SansAmp RBI pre.

Mark at Accugroove is lining me up to borrow an El Whappo. I am interested to see what they sound like. I am not an audiophile but I want pure tone and I can get the growl/edge from the Sadowsky and the Pre.
  9. My regular gig-rig these days is simply:

DB750-->EL Whappo

Nothing else needed, beside your of choice bass of course. As has been said, it has plenty of power and pumps out great tone.

On the downside (you knew there was one) it's a fairly hefty piece of gear to cart around, but I find it to be well worth the trouble.
  10. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Do you run any compression? Does anyone other than me?

I liked the DB750 and I am dying to try the Demeter pre with my Eden poweramp combination.

As I said to Tomix, the term audiophile brings bad things to mind for me. I hate the hi-fi, no warmth and feel that audiophile bassists I hear at NAMM are using.

The Aggie isn't that at all but I am wondering how that translates going through an "Auidophile on Steroids" cabinet like the Accugroove.
  11. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    db750? mmm...

Reasons to consider the TFunk?

1) Weight/size

2) Whappo likes what the TF does well enough to endorse it as a good match with his cabs.

It sounds like you've got the 420. You could always up to the 550...even though it's "only" a 20% increase in watts.

...and then buy the db750...and keep both.
  12. Thanks guys...

dude....I actually have 2 550's and only need one I am thinking about keeping one and getting a tube or hybrid amp...I have a 680 and an Avalon VT 737 as well as some real high end studio stuff BUT I don't know if I want to take most of this stuff out on the road....I know the Aguialr stuff is built for the road and can take the abuse......I am not sure about some of the other stuff....I would likely keep one of the T-Funks and probably sell the other....

BigMikeW.....The cool thing about the El Whappo is that it is so neutral it will sound like whatever you EQ it to sound like...Keep an open mind and dial up the sound you want when you get a chance to check it out....I have found that with Sadowsky basses I seldom use compression at all even in the studio...I will use a Demeter Compulator to get that really warm Old School Squash sound when I pop...and if I need a general tightening up of the tone...

tunaman....that is one of the very reasons I am asking this question....

13. Typically I use a little compression with a high-powered SS amp to reign in transients a bit and tighten things up, but I don't really miss the feature with the 750. As Tom suggests there are excellent outboard compressors available if needed.

I hear you! :) Tom beat me to it but he's right on the mark. The El Whappo is extremely neutral and will accurately reproduce exactly what you put into it. If you want that nice thick sound of the DB750 there's not much to do besides minor adjustment of the EQ to your personal taste.
  14. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The 750 is a great amp. It is POWERFUL. It can be overkill, but I think you can't go wrong. I think one of the reasons you see so many for sell is that once you get it, it's probably too much for most situations. Considering weight, volume and portability, it's not for everyone. Just yesterday, I was playing one thru a berg 210/115 stack and the sound was awesome! I was using my '78 jazz with aeros and the Sadowsky preamp/di. Although it's not your sadowsky, but it's close in sound. Everyone was blown away with the sound.I think the amp will be audiophile enough.
  15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    very cool amp the 750.

I'll be honest, i like some other preamps a little better, but the one in the 750 still has a lot of flexibility once you get over the fact that you can turn the knobs almost all the way to full cut or boost and still get usable tones. And yes, you can get a good amount of very "old school" tones.

Volume wise, I hear that the TF amps are a little louder than simalarly rated amps. IF you said that about the 750 it would be a gross understatement. that amp is so loud it's scary. That and the fact that it's able to power a 2 ohm load make it one of the oly mono amps i can think of that could cut almost any gig imaginable. (think playing with Jimi Hendrix before the PA was used for bass).

Also, FWIW, if you buy into the idea that some solid state power amps sound better than others, this seems to be one of them. (I'm still not sure if i comepletly buy into that theory, but i did try preamps into the poweramp in of the 750 and into other preamps using the same bass and cabs and methinks i heard a nice difference)

Other than that, No you shouldnt get one. You should buy one and send it to me along with one of your 550TF amps. :smug:
  16. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I can tell you why I sold mine. WEIGHT!!!
  17. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Personally I think Aggies are an exercise in design and marketing hyperbole over anything really substantive, like good sound. They're kind of like putting a silk hat on a pig. the pig may be prettier but it's still a pig.

If you want a wicked sounding amp that's compact and aroundthe sameprice (i'm guessing), why not get something like a Demeter HB600?
  18. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Another idea for me personally is to check out the Aggie 659 Pre.

I absolutely love the Eden poweramps! I think they are probably one of the best out there and I ain't saying that because I have a deal with them. I have a couple of them and those thing are so clean, so loud and I love the Tune control. Grest for slight tweeks for the room you are in; great for outdoors.

If I am right this is the same pre as in the DB750. This may be a great option for me personally. I think I mentioned earlier that a buddy of mine has a deal with Aguilar and switched fromt he DB659 to the SansAmp RBI. I thought this was interesting since I have a deal with Tech21.

I guess I need to get a DB659 and a/b them with my eden pwoeramps and cabs, THEN take Mark at Accugroove up on his offer to borrow an El Whappo.

All in time. I am currently writing with the female country artist I have been working with. I may not need my live rig for a while.
  19. I love Aguilar gear and currently have the 750 AND DB680/728. I also use a Stew 2.1 with the 680 when I don't feel like slinging the 680/728 around.
    My favorite is without question the 680 with any poweramp you choose. The DB750 is different. It's essentally the DB 659 preamp with a mosfet power section. A very powerful amp that cuts through ANY loud drummer/Marshall Stack with ease. Both Laklands and Sadowskys sound great with either.
    I'm personally considering something smaller than the 750 'cause it is a heavy sucker and I'm never selling the 680.
  20. I thought about the 659 too and add a tube amp but don't know if I can handle the extra weight as it is....

Thanks guys!!