Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB750, Mesa Boogie M-pulse 600 or GK 2100RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shri, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Hi !

I'm about to buy a powerful amp for gigs but i don't know which one to choose between the Aguilar hybrid DB 750 (i've heard very good things about it), the mesa M-pulse 600 that i tried and really liked, and the GK 2100 RB (i've tried the 700 rb and really liked it also). Can someone advise me please???:confused:
    I have no pbs for money and i'm looking for a clear tone which does not alter the sound of my american spector.
    thanks !:bassist:

2. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    But i'm also looking for a punchy tone !!!!! power and no muddiness. I don't really like ampeg for example... I prefer a clear deep tone also.:cool:

3. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    gk!

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    GK :bassist:

5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    If you want punch, GK!!

6. Clarity ?

GK.

Rich ?

Get the GK and the Aguilar DB680.

7. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Thanks !!!!! GK seem to be very popular !!! I feared that it wouldn't have a tone as rich as a tube amp would...but according to you, GK rocks !!
    Can someone also explain me what 1080w bridged mean?? What does bridged really mean??
    I also need a compressor but maybe it's no use with the GK 2100rb. Do you know a very good compressor though? I've tried the ibanez tube king (tc 999) and i liked it except some hisses that i could hear by inscreasing the sustain knob.
    Thanks guys for the advices !!:D

8. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I use dbx 160 and it's very good.

9. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    If you decide the Aguilar is for you, try and find a used one, as prices have increased significantly.

10. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    ok, thanks for the answers! i'll go and try some !!

11. Before I bought my amp I went out and tried just about every other amp I could get my hands on, and believe you me I went to many different places, from smaller shops to the larger corporate ones as well.

I personally own a DB750 and absolutely love it. The sound is great on the unit and I really couldn't ask for a better sound. It's completely clear, thick, and has got lots of punch as well. I would definately recommend at least giving it a shot.

12. Just thought I would give an opposed opinion.

I personally use the m-pulse for a reason, you can get the clarity, punch, and exceptional depth (If you like it deep). It has a really great tube sound that produces all of these qualities. The gain knob alone can be used to dial in a clear to round tubey to dirty sound. I also really like the built in compressor, but only a touch in boomy rooms, or to balance the lows with the highs. I really like the m-pulse, however I regret to inform you I haven't tried the agulair stuff out yet, but IMHO it beats the GK. It's deeper, punchier and I'm shure it's clearer (keep the gain setting lower).

13. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    out of those i would definitely take the Aguilar. i'm very partial to them (i own the GS412 cabinet). a friend of mine uses the DB680 preamp, and it sounds excellent!

14. As the sun sets, how do you like the GS412? I am looking to probably aquire one to add underneath my GS410.

15. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    put it underneath the 410!? that'd be nuts! the GS412 is a 4x12 cab, you know, the size of an 8x10! but anyways, it's awesome! it's definitely the best cab i have ever played through. it can handle all the lows you throw at it (like 15's), and it's still nice and punchy like it's got 10's! it's a great investment. i paid $1027 for mine total (including tax - it was $979 + tax [i picked it up, not shipped])

16. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I've had all three you are considering, and the Ampeg SVT-4 Pro blew all 3 away. Sorry, but not IMHO. The winner was quite clear.

Do yourself a favor and make it a 4 way race. I think I know who will make it to the finish line.

Good luck.

Nick
    www.theincognitos.com

17. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    If you really want to get the ultimate power and tone go with a power amp - preamp setup. I've owned Gk, Aguilar, Swr, Ampeg, Carvin but my best rig is the Crest LT 1500 power amp with a Kern 777 pre-amp. The tone is awesome.

18. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Shri, no one answered one of your questions...what is bridging?

Bridging is basically a method of connecting two power amps together to act as one more powerful one. If you can envision a sine wave, one power amp works on the positive swing, the other one the negative.

You need to make sure that you keep the load impedance at or above the minimum stated for the amp (4 ohms is usually the absolute minimum since that really operates each channel at 2 ohms).

I hope that helps.

19. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've owned a mid-1970s GK 400B, an early 1980s 400rb, a 1990 800rb, and a Y2k 1001rb, but not a 2001rb. I did get try a 2001rb when I sat in with a band where the bassplayer was using one. It sounded like my 1001rb, but with a ton more headroom.

I can say that all the GK amps that I've owned have been great amps and trouble free.

I've heard people play through the Aggie 750. It has a deep tube-style bottom with good high end. IMHO, a GK and Aguilar comparison is comparing apples and oranges. Many of the guys who want a fast, quick, clean punchy tone will probably go with GK; they guys who are looking for a warm, tube-style deep bottom, with a little growl might more likely go for the Aggie. It's two different camps. That's just my perspective, albeit coming from a somewhat limited experience with the Aggie.

I've never had the opportunity to hear the Mesa.

20. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    The 2001RB willl be the louder, punchier and cleaneer of the three.the Aggie will be warmer and more tubelike.IMO the hybrid Mesa amps are just OK .