Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB750 owners. Pros/Cons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chris818, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Any owners of the DB750 here?
    Can you tell what your thoughts are on this amp? What do you like, what do you dislike? Tone, reliability, etc. Is it worth the coin?
    Please include your cab, bass, playing style and all other applicable tone shaping variables?

I'll be testing one on Saturday but would like to hear some feedback from actual owners.
    I've read only a couple reviews on HC but I'm not sure if they're trustworthy or just fluff. Ya never know with HC.

As for my taste in amps, I like simplicity and power on tap.
    I don't like to tweak knobs often but rather like to find a setting and stick with it. However, that's not to say I want an amp that is a One Trick Pony. I also need an amp that can go down to 2 ohms as I use two 4 ohm Shros.

I currently use an Ampeg SVT Classic. It's simple, pretty damn powerful and has some incredibly warm tube tone. However, I'm ready to move on to something else....something lighter and more sophisticated.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. I love mine. It sounds great with minimal tweaking. (which I like, I hate messing with 50 knobs and switches to sound good)

I bought mine new from bass central. I bought new for the 10 year warranty, but I think I'd go the used route if I had to do it again.

3. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Pros-Great sound out of the box. Nice, round tone, tending to warm, but with lots of clarity and articulation. Simple, not a lot to tweak even if you want to. Tons of headroom. Jensen transformer on the built-in DI. Series or parallel choice on the FX loop, which can be at pedal or line level.

Cons-Still a heavy dude. Not SVT heavy, but heavy nonetheless. No parametric EQing possibilities for those who like that. Long turn on wait if you're an impatient person. Have to pay extra for a foot mute switch which sure as heck should be included for the price you're paying. Expensive.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you're coming from a SVT, the weight of the aguilar would actually be a godsend, IMO.

tone-wise, the DB750 is fast becoming a fav of mine. my friend has to fend me off with a stick everytime i'm over his place. tons of power on tap, and yet, the tone is oddly warm, and nearly tube like! stays tight, taut and responsively punchy. its the flagship of the aguilar line, and its very easy to hear why.

has that lower middy girth that i hear in tube amps, and yet isnt as sloshy or sloppy like most tube amps. i've owned the 659 preamp, which the front end seems to be based on, so i know the tone has much to do w/ the power section. i've been pestering Dave B. @ aguilar to make the 750's power section available as the ultimate power amp!!

btw, there's a few in the classifieds emporium, so trying one out for a few weeks to see how it would fit your gigging needs shouldnt cost you much. but i highly doubt you wouldnt be deeply impressed.

5. Rich's_Alice

Rich's_Alice

Aug 18, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    That about says it all. I haven't had mine long enough (two months) to speak to the reliability, but so far no issues. As far as tone goes, I really only use it two ways tonewise playing rock and blues. I use a MIM fender jazz (passive) for a nice poppy sound. When I want something fatter and jucier I add in a Sadowsy outboard pre-amp which really enhances the guitars sound nicely.

I own a Schroeder 410 and a Steelsound 2 x 12, both 4 ohms. Just for giggles I used them together one night. It was just stupid loud. I can't even imagine how two Shroeder cabs would sound together with this head.

I bought the DB 750 as a result of Jorg's reccommendation. I wouldn't put it in the lightweight category, but I am sure it will be a big break compared to your Ampeg.

The only con's I can think of have already been mentioned. It is not a cheap amp, but comes with a great warranty. If the sound and price work for you, I don't think you will disappointed otherwise.

Good luck in your choosings!

6. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i got to try out a db750 the other day, it was really great sounding,
    very tubey...i thought it has a tube power-section at first!
    only one thing bothered me...it was putting out alot of hiss...i even turned the input all the way down but it didn't make a difference, so it was post pre-amp...same amount with the bright switch on or off...tried it with an accugroove tri1x12, aggie gs1x12, and a schroder 1210, same results (each cab has it's own unique voice, but the 750 overall sounded great through all) so... just wondering if this is just an isolated issue or a charachteristic of these amps in general.
    once again, nothing to do with the awesome tone these things can generate, eq controls didn't really change it..... but it was enough to make me wonder.
    thanks!
    d

7. Mine is dead quiet. Could be an isolated issue OR it could do with what bass you had plugged in. My Warwick thumb5, streamer St II 5, and musicman sterling don't make a hiss-scratch,peep...nothing.

8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Pros:
    Great sound, more headroom than you can imagine, reliable, and sexy looking!

I use mine with either a Bergantino HT322 or NV425

Cons:
    Heavy and bulky in a hard case.

Summary:
    Get one, get one now!

9. Rich's_Alice

Rich's_Alice

Aug 18, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    No hiss here either, the cooling fan can be heard on start, but no hiss.

10. Hey guys, thanks a lot for all you replies. Really, really helpful. I'm glad I asked!

I have a lot more confidence going into a purchase like this now knowing what you owners already know.

Thanks alot!

11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Actually the hiss comes from the electrical system in the shop. There's a grounding issue somewhere and it's annoying, especially when trying out awesome amps like the DB750!

12. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    The DB750 is a great amp. Incredible tone and simple operation. The sound is fat, clear, and warm. The bad part is that I'd never bring it to a gig because it is so heavy. If I had a roadie, then most definitely.

The only other knock I have on the DB750 is that the jack that the power cord goes into is a little flimsy. It looks like the power cord can fall out of the rear jack easily, even though it never seems to happen. I would like it more if the power cord plugged in more snug.

13. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Funny that you mention that jive, mine fits pretty loosely as well. I've taken to taping it in with gaffer's tape on gigs.

14. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    thanks, jive....great shop, so nice to try some of these amazing amps... looking foreward to cranking up through some stewarts shortly!
    sorry to hijack..back to the db750.
    cheers
    d

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    *cough*
    *cough*JiveSound has one in stock, and best prices i've seen.*cough*
    *cough*

whew, my bad, dunno where that came from. darn winter...

;)

16. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I absolutely love this head....to me it gives a nice blend of tube warmth and grit, but at the same time gives focus and clarity....the weight is not a problem for me, but I'm coming from the aggie db680/db728 and Ampeg SVT...hehe

17. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    Pro: Massive volume. Ability to push a 2 ohm load. Incredible inherent tone, which is great because...

Con:..I find the amps EQ to be very limited, so much so that I've got a Rane parametric on the way so I can EQ for the room. It's a heavy beast, but that's why I have a cart.

18. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
  19. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    I just fixed it :)

20. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Jive, ya need to start carrying Bergie stuff so I can buy an NV series cab from ya. ;)