Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar Db750 - Parametric EQ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacove, Aug 14, 2005.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi There,

I was wondering if any of you DB750 owners, have felt the need to add an Parametric EQ? The EQ on the DB750 is pretty simple, isn't this a problem in certain situations, I'm thinking of boomy rooms and so on....Which parametric EQ would you recommend + will it somehow be a shame to run it with the DB750? :meh:

2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    So far, I haven't had any problems. In a boomy room, I made sure the deep switch was off and the bass control was down to 11:00. Worked like a charm.

3. Hi
    I'm not really going to answer your question, but I've just tried my DB750 last night with the El Whappo. Man... my bandmates instantly turned their heads towards me on the first song. They were smiling... It was an outside gig, smaller type in a pavillion with small stage and roof but open to all sides. Very humid and wet out although it finally stopped raining for our gig...perfect evening but humid. You all know what thick heavy humidity does to your sound. The 750 performed like a Stealth Bomber! I ran the gain up to about 1:00 and the master on about 11:00 tones all staight up. Did some tweaking on my Sadowsky that's it. Cut like a bazooka with a nice little SVT type grind vibe happening. No Boom for me, but I haven't tried it a room yet... next Saturday. So far I'm really impressed with this amp and it's not that heavy. I took another TB'r advise and got a Gator 4-space Effects rack which just barely fits it but makes a smaller more managable rack. I just have to pull ALL the cords and plugs out everytime which I don't like to do.... but it's fantastic so far. Sorry to not quite contribute to your question. I think a parametric would always be handy though. I don't think I'll ever be using one with this rig though. Much of that is the very non-boomy Accugroove El Whappo that I'm also very very happy with.

4. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Thanks, Kjones and BigString....really glad you like the DB750 with El Whappo, I'm looking forward to gig with this combo next weekend :hyper: BigString, how is the Db750 compared to Walter Woods and Thunderfunk...I think it was Tommixx who did an a/b and he was suprised that the Thunderfunk was close to the DB750...what is your impression?

5. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have the db680 pre w/ parametric eq and got the db750 about a month ago. Ive giged the 750 about 10 times both inside and outside. So far I havent missed the para eq. The 750 is a great amp.

6. So far out of all my rigs the DB750 beats all of them.
    The Demeter/CA9 is a close second and for the small amps the WWU is next. I have to try the TF with the EW but have not. In my practice room I keep going back to the WWU. The WWU is great but lacks a little of the more solid bottom that the TF has in spades but can sound cloudy to me in a mix. (I have hearing loss though) With the TF I haven't had the wonderful experience yet that many like the very knowledgeable Tommix has had. I really must bring the famed TF out for a live gig run. It wasn't that great through my Berg Mini Stack.

I've been pm-ing a bunch of highly respected TBr's to get to were I'm at right now (pretty dog-gone happy) not to mention talking with many gear makers. Many thanks to all of you. I bow in your dedication to the bass community.

To answer finally... :rolleyes:
    The DB750 seems to be one of the 'perfect' rigs for the El Whappo. The extra power is key here. The WWU and TF are very powerful little amps, but they ARE little amps and can't compare to the extra muscle of more watts. (type/class that is) Again, all of my amps sound very very good, but to my ears in a live situation the DB750 is several levels above all my other amps. Note: only one gig trial so far.