Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB750 picks up too much power on turning on?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by booch, Jul 15, 2005.

1. booch

booch

Aug 12, 2004
    I just got this used amp and have a problem. Based on the info from the seller, this problem always existed.

Each time I turn on the Main power, the fuse protecting the circuit the amp is connected to, breaks. Or, in case of my flat, the switch of the flat's electricity turns itself down.
    The problem can only worked around by connecting the amp to the power socket via a 20m (approx. 60 feet) power cord extension cable.

I live in Europe so it's possible that someone fiddled with the amp's power properties so it can be used with 220V not only 110V.

Anybody experienced this before?

2. I've got that problem too.
    I bought my DB750 brand new. In our practice spot, the outlets are all on a 20amp breaker from a 150amp panel. 75% of the time when I flip the power switch, the breaker pops. Beats me what the deal is, I just reset the breaker and try again, it usually works the second time. It's a pain in the butt to deal with, but your not alone. I have yet to contact Aguilar to see if it's a problem or just the way it is.

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I have the same issue. It seems to draw so much power when you first flip the switch that it can flip a breaker. I can't play the 750 in my house unless I plug into certain outlets. At gigs, i make sure I plug in and turn on before anyone else in the band and thus far have had no problems.

4. booch

booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Was there any logical way to find which outlet to use at your house? (say, without power cord extensions or the closest one to the main electric cable entering my apartment etc.)

Anyway, turning on the amp before everybody else is not always an option. In a small cafe I cound pop the circuit breaker of the whole place. Also, when playing festivals (which around here are extremely badly organized) I can't expect everybody during the 5-minute break between bands to turn off all electric equipment on stage... :(

Any known solutions to this problem? If I'm not sure I can take it onstage anywhere anytime I'll opt for the Eden WT800 instead.

5. I have read that the power up draw of the 750 is about 13-15 Amps.....judging from the size and heft of the transformers I would expect that is true........So far I have made sure that I power up my amp BEFORE powering up anything else when out on a gig and that has worked fine......I don't really have any suggestions for inhome use other than to say turn off other things that are on the same circuit or try and find a circuit which is unused by anything else.....Enjoy!

Peace,

T

6. An amp powerful enough to blow circuits when you turn it on.... that's what I'm talkin' about :hyper:

7. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

The Eden poweramps are the same. They need their own 20 amp circuit. I always make sure I am plugged in on a seperate circuit.

8. Damn that sucks... I had a similar problem with my US Gallien Krueger 800RB- it's no 750w power hungy tube monster... But every time I turned it on- POP it would blow the fuse in the step down transformer. I later found out there was too much current draw on that circuit.

Try to plug your amp into a circuit with no heaters, fidges, air conditioners or computers- This may help eleviate the problem, it did mine... Also maybe a power conditioner / voltage regulator may help-I'm not all that sure how they function, but it may be the answer to your troubles.

Short of that, Take it to an Aguilar tech, adn get them to check it out.

9. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    how about trying a rack-mount power conditioner with a voltage meter? not just a power supply, but a conditioner with a transformer
    to keep the level stable?
    then you can also make sure the voltage is available by checking the meter before turning on the amp.
    d

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the only time i has a problem like that was when my rack (which did not contain a 750) used a pl-pro powerstrip, which is a 20 amp unit. sometimes it would blow breakers on startup, but only in areas where the power was already a bit suspect.

11. booch

booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Thanks for the responses! So this is a normal behavior - I'm more relaxed now...

I'm no expert but this rack mount power conditioner sounds cool... what's this and where can I get one?

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    [​IMG]