Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB750 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Daywalker, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    This amp gets great reviews, but with only 750watts I'm wondering if it'll sound better than my SVT-4Pro. For all who have tried out this amp, would I need to run two cabs(2ohms) to get the full potential out of this amp? If anyone has A/B'd this amp with Ampeg amps that can give me the scoop would be great, thanks...

DW

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Having only tried a DB750 out in stores a few times, not on gigs, in my experience, the D750 can get between 'stupid' loud and 'idiot' loud at 4 ohms, which is more than enough. Of course, the volume will also depend on the cabinets that you're playing into, I think I was in an Aguilar 210 and 410, both 8 ohms I believe. But I'm pretty sure my 400+ into my NV215 can get louder, approaching 'dufus' loud. If I ever get a Bergantino NV610, and I power both bergs with my 400+, I'm pretty sure I can get 'Your neighbor is coming over, and he's bringing his 12 gauge' loud. That should be cool. :smug: Until he actually gets to my house. :meh:

3. The DB750 actually goes up to 'blindingly' loud at 2ohms, if for some unknown reason you felt compelled to drive it that way. At 4ohms it sits comfortably at just about "bowel-movement inducing" loudness.

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    But is that as loud as "blow out your ass" loud?:eyebrow:

5. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland

Sound better? Only you can answer that one. I will say it sounds more tube-like, more round, and full.

As to getting the full potential out of this, let me say this definitively. I can't imagine any scenario in any situation, assuming normal human beings are listening, that a 750 would not be loud enough. I play in big rooms with a band at volumes competing with '68-era Cream without sound reinforcement, and my volume never goes above maybe 10:30-11:00.

6. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Volume should not be an issue with this unit, unless you play Woodstock regularly and can't go through the mains. Even then, it might be just fine. Just make sure you have adequate ear protection.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The DB 750 seems to sound great and get as loud as I would ever need into a 4 ohm load (with my favorite cabs being either an NV215 or two custom Wizzy 2x12's).

Tom.

8. I concur with everyone here...the 750 is a true monster...the cool thing is that the 750 is capable of producing its full rated output at ALL frequencies!! Which is why it has such a nice robust heft to it in my opinion....Personally, I very rarely have need to go past 10 o'clock on the master and that is with the pre at about 10 o'clock as well....the few times I have ventured into nose bleed territory were very interesting but totally unnecessary...FWIW I typically use mine into a Bergantino NV610 and love the result...And ina nod to Jim B the 610 takes EVERYTHING the 750 can dish out and kindly says thank you may I have some more!! LOL!

Peace,

T

9. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    I have to say that when I tried one out at a gig I couldn't believe how loud this thing could get, especially in a band setting. It's not just the volume, but it really cut through the mix, much better than my Eden. I ended up playing at lower volume than normal to sound right with the band. When the band stopped playing it seemed much quieter than my normal volume through the Eden.

I would love one but the weight.....

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's hella loud. The most common comment I get on mine is, "Can you turn it down?"

11. Hi, I've had my DB750 for two weeks now. I purchased it used from Jorg Schroeder of Schroeder cabinets. Wonderful guy!

I run a Schroeder 4x10 and 2x12 at 2 Ohms.

To answer your first question:
    No, you will not have to run the DB750 at 2 Ohms to get the full potential. I tried it with just the 4 ohm 4x10 for an entire rehearsal on Sunday (becasue my keyboardist needed one of my two speakon cables...forcing me to use only one cab.), and I had no volume issues of cutting through guitar, drums and B3 Organ. This amp can get so loud it hurts...literally.

To answer your second question:
    I A/Bed the DB750 with my Ampeg SVT Classic...a Real Tube Monster.

The DB 750 sounds very tube-like but has a faster, punchier, response (a good thing).
    And the knobs are so much more sensitive than on a tube amp. Meaning, when you turn up the Master, Gain, Treb, Mid or Bass knob, you immediately hear a difference in sound respective to the knob you tweaked. Also, the Deep and Bright switches really work and add character.
    It also sounds just as good at bedroom volumes as it does cranked up in rehearsal volumes.
    Just a well-built peice of machinery.

Although "tone" is entirely subjective.
    I can tell you that in my humble opinion, the DB750's tone though my particular rig and basses, is hands down BAD ASS!!! My tone quest is over...blah, blah, blah.

I still love the Ampeg tone through the Schroeder cabinets though. Just Amazing! But it's a heavy amp and that's why I went for the still-heavy-but-lighter DB750.

12. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I have one, and I have a choice: 2 Ohm or 4 Ohm... I have an NV215 and an NV425... I also have a D410XLT, but that one's up for sale since I got the NV425 back in January...

...I now use the NV425 at most gigs, and I can get 'go to jail' loud with this set-up alone... but, whenever I have the opportunity to add-on the NV215... I can fill any room with all the bottom-end, as well as cut through and still be 'punchy'... and I don't have to be loud at all... I'll set the Master at about 7 o'clock, and the Gain at around 8 o'clock. I'll then make any further volume adjustments from the onboard bass' preamp, and I can fill-up the room without making everyone's ears bleed... :smug:

13. LOL! I have heard the same thing once or twice around the house....:D

I should also mention that I have had the chance to directly and side by side compare the 750 with quite a few amps including an original 72' SVT of mine. The result was not overly surprising...BOTH amps are capable of killing fairly large warm bodied animals including humans! I found it much easier to control the volume on my 750 and still get great sound at lower overall volumes, the SVT is either barely on or loud as he77 with no real middle ground. Both sound great but I actually preferred the control and the flexibility of the 750 not to mention the weight savings. Unfortunately, the SVT is not for sale though as it was lost in a fire several months ago.....:bawl:

Peace,

T

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    "only"? :eyebrow:

15. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    hi keeaumoku,

i was thinking of pairing up the db 750 with 4ohm xlt 410 and 4ohm xst 210, could you tell me more about what you liked/didn´t like about the 750/xlt410 combination ?

cheers, lowstar

16. LOL! I thought the same thing when I read it...Just goes to show what a little marketing in the right places can do!!!!! Conventional wisdom these days says you HAVE to HAVE at LEAST 2 to 3 times the amp power as the cab is rated for?????? I am a huge fan of headroom but jeez My old Amps were lucky to put out 300 watts into cabs rated at 300 or 400 watts and now people pay $$$$ for those old amps.....go figure! The right 750 Watts is DEVASTATING......For that matter, my SVT was ONLY 300 Watts and was excruciatingly loud...at least that is the way I rememebr it...:hyper:

Peace,

T

17. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Certainly... :)

At first I paired the D410XLT with my NV215. I had read/heard that I was creating some kind of 'frequency conflict'...admittedly my term... as the 410 is a ported cab, where the 215 is sealed. This had something to do with the 410, it being ported, would perform down in the lower ranges with the sealed 215, and this somehow prevented me from 'optimizing' my range. Also, since the 215 is sealed, it would 'throw' further than the ported 410, so I suppose by the time all the frequencies got to the back of any given room, they didn't get there 'evenly'...

...now I'm certain all that sounds like a big pile of bullshingles, but I think it kinda... albeit in a highly fertilized way... attempts to explain the 'conflict'. Even if it doesn't, what I can say for sure is that it sure as hell didn't make much difference to me, 'cuz those pair of cabs sounded absolutely awesome together!

The reason I've decided to sell the D410XLT has only to do with practicality, as I simply do not need it anymore, yet it remains a fine piece of equipment in my opinion! As mentioned, I recently got an NV425, and the motive behind that purchase had more to do with the fact the NV line of cabs were, and are now indeed, discontinued... I wanted another NV cab before they were gone!

Now try and imagine the sound of 3 x 15"s and 3 x 10"s... all being pushed by a DB750... :eek: The low B from my Thumb-5 NT will dislodge vital organs when playing through this set-up...

Isn't the D210XST a sealed cab? If it is, I wouldn't want to speculate whether or not you would experience the same bullshingles I shoveled up earlier... I'll leave that to brighter minded TBers to take on. However, if you ask me, I don't think most folks could ever tell the difference, either... :rolleyes: In the end, however, you'll be blowing 6 x 10"s with your DB750... Edens for that matter... and I sure can't see anything wrong with that! :D

18. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    thanx for your detailed reply, keeaumoku.
    the 210xst is ported, just like the 410xlt, but the 210 is tuned to a deeper frequency, so i guess there would be no phase problems.

cheers,
    lowstar

19. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Thanks for all the replies, I guess I know even LESS about amps and wattage than I thought. Anyways, would this amp be best paired with a single GS412, or a GS410/GS212? I play mostly rock/metal, but I would like to be able to cover anything. Thanks again for all the replies...

20. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Anyone?