Aguilar DB750 vs. Ag500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jackson0321, Sep 9, 2004.

1. jackson0321

Apr 4, 2001
    Houston, TX
    the extra power of the 750 is not an issue the 500 is plenty loud for me.
    i cant make up my mind help me
  2. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    It seems like the price would be the issue. I love both of them. I just wish both channels could be totally clean with the overdrive option on the second channel. I was going to get a 500 and ended up getting a great deal on a used SVT4 pro for my new touring rig. A 500 is on my GAS list as an rock amp that would stay in Texas so I can let my Clarus stay as a jazz amp.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    do you mind the huge 50 lbs., 3 rack behemoth that is the DB750? or would you rather carry around a small 19 lbs. box that you can put into your knapsack?
  4. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I have owned both and I have to say the DB750 blows the AG500 away as far as tone goes. Don't get me wrong the AG500 is a great sounding amp and is very light weight. However @ 8 ohms it isn't very loud 250 watts I think and you can't go down to 2 ohms. IMHO a tube preamp just sounds warmer. In my calzone case it only weighs 56 lbs which is not a big deal to me. If you love distortion I would go with the AG500, however I use distortion on maybe 2 out of the 30 songs that my band plays(swollen pickle pedal). If you love clean, warm, and woody and if money is not an issue I would go with the DB750. Hope this helps
  5. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004

Have you tried the AG500 with a four ohm cabinet? Hey, I agree...for warmth, tubes is boobies! How do you think it compares to an iamp or something similar?
  6. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I have an AGUILAR GS112 and a 4 OHM GS410. It is very loud with the GS410 but still not as warm. It also starts to distort after the volume is pushed around 2 o' clock. I have not tried the other amps.
  7. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own! Supporting Member

There's no doubt that the DB-750 is a ton to haul around! I had to seperate my rig into two racks (DB-750 in its own 3-space & everything else in a 4-space) to make it way easier to move around.

Its the best amp I've ever had! In 30 years I've had a few to say the least :)

My current set-up is the 750 W 2/GS-212's and it is just amaizing!
  8. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    My AGUILAR DB750 is in its own 3 space rack. I also have an additional 6 space rack with the other stuff if needed. Usually I have only been taking my DB750 with my GS410 and GS112. 2 x Gs212 must sound sick!!