Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB750 vs. Ag500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jackson0321, Sep 9, 2004.

1. jackson0321

jackson0321

Apr 4, 2001
    Houston, TX
    the extra power of the 750 is not an issue the 500 is plenty loud for me.
    i cant make up my mind help me

2. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    It seems like the price would be the issue. I love both of them. I just wish both channels could be totally clean with the overdrive option on the second channel. I was going to get a 500 and ended up getting a great deal on a used SVT4 pro for my new touring rig. A 500 is on my GAS list as an rock amp that would stay in Texas so I can let my Clarus stay as a jazz amp.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    do you mind the huge 50 lbs., 3 rack behemoth that is the DB750? or would you rather carry around a small 19 lbs. box that you can put into your knapsack?

4. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I have owned both and I have to say the DB750 blows the AG500 away as far as tone goes. Don't get me wrong the AG500 is a great sounding amp and is very light weight. However @ 8 ohms it isn't very loud 250 watts I think and you can't go down to 2 ohms. IMHO a tube preamp just sounds warmer. In my calzone case it only weighs 56 lbs which is not a big deal to me. If you love distortion I would go with the AG500, however I use distortion on maybe 2 out of the 30 songs that my band plays(swollen pickle pedal). If you love clean, warm, and woody and if money is not an issue I would go with the DB750. Hope this helps

5. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004

Have you tried the AG500 with a four ohm cabinet? Hey, I agree...for warmth, tubes is boobies! How do you think it compares to an iamp or something similar?

6. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I have an AGUILAR GS112 and a 4 OHM GS410. It is very loud with the GS410 but still not as warm. It also starts to distort after the volume is pushed around 2 o' clock. I have not tried the other amps.

7. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own! Supporting Member

There's no doubt that the DB-750 is a ton to haul around! I had to seperate my rig into two racks (DB-750 in its own 3-space & everything else in a 4-space) to make it way easier to move around.

Its the best amp I've ever had! In 30 years I've had a few to say the least :)

My current set-up is the 750 W 2/GS-212's and it is just amaizing!

8. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    My AGUILAR DB750 is in its own 3 space rack. I also have an additional 6 space rack with the other stuff if needed. Usually I have only been taking my DB750 with my GS410 and GS112. 2 x Gs212 must sound sick!!