Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

aguilar db750 vs. ashdown abm 900 evo II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Feb 5, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    alright, ive gotten to narrow down to these two. now i need some help with the final choice. im gonna be running 1 ag 212 and 1 ag 210 off the amp. the amp has to be effects friendly. i use a lot of them, ecspcially distortion. and it needs to be a gigger since i gig alot as well. all in all it just has to be a fat amp.

so any suggestions?

ps i was gonna go with teh ashdown, but id like to get opinions first. thanks.

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA

Ashdown all the way. Period. Next question. ;)

In all seriousness, you can coax some really fat and warm tones from Ashdowns. Great gigging amp as well. Loud, not too heavy, and very reliable (from my expierience.)

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thanks jason. it did sound really good when i played it. i just wanted to get some other opinions. how does it run with effects, have you tried.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The ashdown also has killer built in overdrive/distorsion I hear.

5. If you want a fat tone, I'd either would be good, but I'd recomend the Aguilar DB 750. I can't think of a better amp.

6. This is a tough one. Ive heard both of them and they are both great amps. I would choose the Aguilar simply to have the same company for my enitre rig, plus it is an amazing amp. I have the Ashdown and it is a great amp and it is much cheaper, but if you can afford it, I would go with the Aguilar.

You wont go wrong either way, but i know how it is when you are searching for that perfect piece of musical equipment.

Enjoy!

7. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    You should consider the ashdown.Those amps have killer tone!
    I know this is probly just my opinion,but thats bassicly asking"Brittish made or U.S.A made?".Brittish all the way.Even so much as the "MAG 410 500w. combo" setting on my digitech beats every other amp simulator(the swr steller is the only one that can compare).Besides you get more ineresting tone when you mix.

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thanks guys. it is difficult to find that perfect peice of gear. i really dont have the money for the ag, but damn it is nice and so is the ashdown. thanks again yall.

9. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    The only effect I ran through my Ashdown was an EBS Bass IQ. It sounded really, really nice.

10. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I owned an Aguilar DB750 for one week. Very limited EQ available. You better like the one tone it gets, because one tone is all it's got.

11. That's actually a good point, Ncognito. If you're the type of person who likes to tweek the controls of your amp depending on the type of music and the room, the Aguilar may not be the best choice, because it has a very simple EQ. I'm the type of person that likes to depend primarily on different basses to get different sounds. When I want to adjust my EQ, I'll do it with the bass. I own the Aguilar DB 659 preamp, and I never touch the controls on it. I just leave it flat, and I get what I consider to be, just about a perfect sound.

12. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Then,...what kind of tone does it have?? :confused:

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Absolutely KILLER.

I played through one for the first time yesterday and it's the first amp that has made me want something besides the 300T that I already have. I was totally blown away by the sound of this thing.

The way I see it, the amp should really just be an extension of your bass. The bass that you use should be able to provide you with plenty of tones for just about anything, and the amp should be able to reproduce that sound to your liking:)

I see that Keith has 2 Warwicks, so those babies should be able to provide all the tonal adjustment that he needs :D

14. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    well i totally agree with the fact that your bass should provide plenty of tones and the amp just amplify that. I usually put everything flat on the amp and use my bass electronics to shape my sound. So the aguilar just amplify and doesn't color the sound. That's nice. :cool:

15. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    well i sided on the abm 900. but the good news is that i got an evo, not and evo II. i bought it from bass central. adn for those of you who dont know (shameless plug here) BC is the best darn bass guitar store ever. beaver and perry are probably the two nicest best dudes ever.

ty, the warwick i have are killer. and with the amp they are even better. i did play an agie. however at the time i didnt have the money so i didnt get one. but they both sound great, hopefully ill get a db 750 soon. point is, between the 900 and the warwicks...damn....

16. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Well, I didn't necessarily say that it didn't color the sound.

VERY few amplifiers can claim to really NOT color the sound in some way.

I guess it all depends on personal preference and whether or not you like the WAY that the sound is colored by the Aguilar. Personally I absolutely LOVED it, and I know that many others on the board do as well.

As is everything in the bass world, it's all subjective ;)
    (except for, of course, the fact that Rogues DO suck)

17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    That awesome dude.

I know that gettin' an Aggie means droppin' a lot of bills, and most people can't afford that much.

I've never played an ABM, but from what I hear they are really awesome amps:)

Congrats!!

18. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    yeah you're right... actually i'd like to try one cos it's very rare in france because of the price...(about 3200 us dollars i think) . The ashdown on the contrary are not very expensive because it's from england and they are just close to us. About 1600 maybe for the 900 evo II head.

19. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea the 900 is awsome. great amp and im a fan of most things english. shri youve got the prices nailed. but the aggie 3200 is a list price, im sure theyre cheaper.

20. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Why is it good news you got the EVO and not the EVO II?