Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB750 vs. DB659 & QSC PLX??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KB, Dec 19, 2003.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I know there was an older thread about this, but I wanted to get some fresh opinions. I am considering getting either and Aguilar DB750 or the combination of the DB659 with a QSC PLX (maybe 1602) power amp and wanted comparisons of the two, especially as paired with two GS112 cabinets.

I know they have similar controls. The DB750 has a few more tubes in it. I am looking for a fairly versatile sound that has a little more meat and tubiness than my current SWR SM500 amp but still has good definition and clarity for articulate finger style and slap and to be able to be heard through a loud funk band.

I like the Aggie tone heard on basstasters.
    I am looking for decent prices on these setups as well. I see the DB750 on the used market for around $1600 (know of a good cheap place for a new one???) and the DB659/PLX combination runs about the same.

Also wasn't there some issue with the DB659 and the PLX poweramps??

Please give any input

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Which Aggie tone on basstasters did you prefer? The Db359 or the Db680?

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    They are both close but I tended to like the DB680 better as it seemed a little more crisp and growly

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Then why don't you pick up a used DB680 and go that route?

Both the 659 and the 750 are pretty farkin wooly - don't get me wrong, they're clear AND thick/rich but not as clean and clear as the 680. Crisp is a perfect word to describe the 680 - crisp and warm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2367334034&category=10171
    pretty good price on a DB680.

If that's too much for ya, i'd suggest the db750. It has more of the growl. I used to use the DB659 into a Stewart 2.1 and it was ok, but I think you're digging the extremely textured midrange that the DB680 puts out - and that's just not going to be there with the DB659. You'll get a little closer with the DB750 since aguilar says they were looking for a DB680/DB728 sort of sound.

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yeah the DB680 is nice, but I would also have to pick up a poweramp and the total combined price could get fairly high.

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    you could get a qsc like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2367172412&category=23787

i think you could probably get a plx and a 680 and still be around $1600 - you'd just have to be patient and snatch up a good deal. if that's the route you'd like to go and you want help finding things, there's lots of us here who are pretty dang good at sniffing out deals! We'll help.

7. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    That may be a good idea. I have seen some PLX 2402's on ebay going for around $600 and the DB680's tend to be around $1000 used.
    I am probably going to wait until after the holidays for a puchase just due to not being around much to catch deals.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Background - I've got a DB659 running through a QSC 1602 and it's my main power rig.

I would have loved to have bought an Ag 750. But, being an older fart, I am tired of the weight and the upkeep needed for something like the wonderful 750, (like the tubes). This rig travels somewhere every week and weight and jostling around in a truck just became a big issue.

A QSC 2402 would be nice, since the conventional wisdom is, "More headroom is better headroom." And if I get some wattage-whores, like El Whappos or Acmes, a 2402, (or more), would be the way to go.

But I use Eden cabs and the 1602 is usually more than adequate. If the room is too big, I just go through the PA mains.

NOTE: I don't use the 1602 + DB 659 without compression.....it just doesn't sound like a $1000 preamp, otherwise.

9. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    No kidding? For an Alembic F1-X lover like myself, do you think that, between the 659 and 680, I'd like the 659 better?

What kind of un-clean tone does the 659 have? The same kind of rough tone that my 359 has?

Nightbass

10. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Ah KB, you sound exactly the way I did about 2 years ago.

I had an SM400S, which is the SM500 before the facelift. It sounded good, but just too "sterile" for me. I sold it, bought a Boogie 400+ then sold it and got the DB750.

I originally going to buy the 659 and Stuart 1.2, I think, power amp for portable, and light weight power. I heard a few folks say that the Aguilar wouldnt work well with the Stuart. Oh well, I wasn't sold on this anyway.

I did some shopping around, and believe it or not, Musicians Friend was selling the DB750 for something like $1450 (lower than any other shop I could find), so I snatched one up. This was literally 3 weeks before the "Aguilar Price Change".

Needless to say, if you can handle the weight of the amp, I'd so go for it (I had a post about this a week or so ago). If you can find a good used 659 and good power amp that won't break your back, I'd say go for it too. I like the 359 because its pretty much the same pre. I think in the long run, if you search, you can find a DB750 slightly used or whatever for under $1400.

Either way you go, if you like a fat, super clean, tasty tone, then thats what you'll get with Aguilar. My EQ is set pretty much flat and I get exactly what I'm looking for. I'm a happy customer, my back may tell you different though.

I hope my rambling helps you out some!
    Thanks

11. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Thanks for the input.
    I'll keep an eye out for a cheap DB750 and other options. I did find one on-line store (actually a real store in TX) that sells the DB750 NEW with the full warranty, etc for $1699.

I am in no huge rush, but I will upgrade at somepoint soon

-KB

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    The 659 is nowhere near as thick as the Alembic, but i'm not sure you'll like the 680 better. Then again, you totally dug the Avalon U5, so I guess I haven't pegged you in a hole yet :)

The 659 does NOT have the rough tone the 359 has. In playing through my DB728 by itself, I theorize the rough punchy tone comes from the power section of the 359. The 659 is much smoother and has less of a midrange punch or presence.

13. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I think I need another Kern - if I recall, it was thick but clean, and had lots of headrooom, and was very articulate. I thought of it as the Alembic kicked up another notch.

Now the Avalon, that was something. The high filter gets rid of string noise so well, and the low end was juicy yet pure.

So I like 'em both! :)

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Having owned the F-1X, Kern, DB680 and DB659 (!) I have a good amount of comparison material. The Kern is thicker than the Alembic, as you say it's very articulate.

With the right bass, the Kern sounded great. I had some basses that just didn't sound great with it - the thickness became wooliness. Whereas the Alembic has sounded great flat with anything I've thrown at it.

DB680 vs DB659. I just wasn't that taken with the DB659, it was good but didn't think it was anything special. I think it's not so much that the DB659 is muddy/woolly, more that the DB680 has so much clarity that most things sound slightly muddy in comparison. I use a DB680 with a Peavey DPC 1400x power amp, I love the sound.

15. I think either the DB750 or 680 +power amp of your choice would be great. I'm not a big fan of the 659. I have owned all of them except the 659 and regret selling the 680 to this day.

I now have the DB 750 and really love it. It is warm, fat and clear at the same time. It is a heavy sucker but a 680 and power amp isn't a feather either.

Hope that helps.