Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB750/ Why so special??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Dec 16, 2004.

1. I'm really interested in one of these amps. Does anyone know if the 750's preamp is simular to the 659's? My friend uses a 659 with a mackie amp and it sounds like butter. Also, what makes Aguilars' mosfet power section so much better than say SWR or Ampeg, because the price would imply something amazing.

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    A lot of factors at work here. The DB750's preamp contains more tubes than the 659's so, no, they aren't the same. Compared to most amp heads a lot of hand-soldering goes into a DB750 and the power section is a good one.

Trying one yourself is the only way to truly know if it is worth the money to you.

3. To me it seems that what's special about the DB750 is that it is a high-powered (750w@4ohms/1000@2ohms) hybrid with simple controls that still manages to be quite versatile. The preamp doesn't offer quite as much control as a DB680, but manages to sound similar. In other words it has the pleasing "Aguilar signature" sound and more than enough power for most applications.

Although the DB750 is quite heavy by today's standards, the package weighs a whole lot less than a DB680+DB728 in a Mesa Boogie SUS-4 shock rack (take my word for it!).

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    For me, the DB750 was an acquired taste. My other rigs are Eden (WT-300, WT-800) with Eden cabs. The DB750 has a warmer, or "furrier" tone due to its 4-tube pre-amp stage. If you like the crisp, "modern" tone of Eden, you may not immediately appreciate the tone of the DB 750. It took me about 3 gigs to get to know the amp and appreciate its sound. It seems to cut through the mix even a little better than the Eden (which does a superb job in its own right).

Also, the Aggie's tone controls are not as sensitive as those of the Eden, and the amp may be slightly less versatile because of it. Recently, I've been gigging the Aggie and have gotten a lot of compliments from the band and the audience on its sound.

Ultimately, you need to play one before you make the move. I bought mine on the strength of hearing another guy play one at a local gig. I hired his band to play at my company's holiday party, then got to sit in and play through his amp. Interestingly, I let him play my Roscoe Beck 5, and he played it almost all night. It really sounds great through that amp. My bet is he'll have an RB5 the next time I see him.

5. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Aguilar is not the most versatile tone, but it's fat, warm, and it sounds killer. Easier to get one great tone from these amps than to get one out of SWR, Ampeg, or Eden. Also check out the DB359 and the AG500 (or the new AG500SC).

6. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    The DB70 is warm and fat w/ tons of balls. I have owned the AG500 and Db659 and they do not compare to the DB750. In my opinion it is the sound that I hear in my head

7. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    You should also check out the DB680 that pre rocks and it sounds killer paired up w/ a QSC. Just ask Mike Watt!!

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, maybe one tone, but it's easier to get a variety great tones out of the Eden. One great tone may not be enough for some people.

9. I'm currently using an eden navigator with a mackie 1400. I like the sounds I can get out of the eden, but it just seems that it's lacking just a litte something. I'm not sure what, but something. The only other gripe I have with the eden is that it's a double edged sword. Tons of features and unlimited eq options, but also takes me quite a while to dial in "the sound" for most rooms. Looking for something simple, great sounding, and a good name(quality/warranty) I have no way of trying out any aguilar equiptment short of buying it, trying it, and returning it if I don't like it.

As to the weight issue. My navigator/mackie 1400/ SKB rack weigh a few lbs more than the 750.

10. Sounds like I should try 750 someday.. mmm money, money, n=money.. :rollno:

11. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I had the DB750 and ultimately liked my Ashdown EVO 500 better. Listen to people when they say the 750 is an acquired taste or not for everyone. I found it fuzzy and not very versitile. I echo the earlier post that it cuts through very nicely. It also records very nicely. The power section is very solid and the thing has an enormous amount of power. I think they sould make a lower powered lower weight version. It just wasn't for me. And is heavy by today's standards. I've seen about one a week for sale on bassgear.com. I think it is one of those highly lusted after items that you either love or don't. Try before you buy. They go for about $1400-$1700 used from what I have seen.

12. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee

This is a great thread. . . I too have been thinking very hard lately about picking up a 750. I'm in the process of a trade of my Demeter/Crest for the AG 500. The Crest was 1500 watts, an insane amount of power and I'm just not doing gigs that require it. I want to get something in the neighborhood of about 1/4 to 1/2 the power and probably wouldn't have considered the AG 500 (because it's solid state) had this guy not been looking for my rig and willing to do a straight swap. Maybe it will surprise me and fit the bill.

Anyway, I know Gary Willis' and Patitucci's tones and I dig them, Tom Barney's another one whose tone I've dug when I've heard him with Steely Dan... now I know I'm not going to sound exactly like them, and that's fine by me, but I believe it could serve my tone well. I'm going to try one out this next week at Corner in Nashville (if they've got one in stock) so I'll post my review at that time, along with an A/B of the AG 500 as I'll have it by then as well. I'm playing an Elrick (Todd's from Basstasters.com actually) which is awesome, got it yesterday, and appears to sit in the mix well and cut. It's VERY "live" so I'll try the 750 with that and hopefully the bright from the Elrick and the warm from the 750 will compliment eachother well.

Finally to my question, sorry for rambling... Most of my gigs probably won't require near the 750 watts of this amp, especially if everything I've heard about it is true (that its 750 watts sound like 1000). For all those who own/have played or gigged this beast, how does it sound at low volume?

Thanks in advance. . .

13. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    It sounded fine at low volume, but in my experience, sometimes at low volume I boost the lows a bit more than at high volume. Turning the bass knob on the 750 didn't add the deep lows I expected it to, nor did the deep switch. It is inherently midrange voiced IMO and seem designed to be used in a high volume context to cut through a dense mix like a hot knife through soft butter...not a sharp knife mind you...its not harsh by any means. That is why in my earlier post I mentioned they could easily market a lower power/weight version that would be suitable for low to medium volume gigs. I rarely turned the master volume on mine past 9:30 on mine. Contrasting master volume on the Ashdown would be 1:00.

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    like munji said, the eq on the aggie 750 is subtle. sometimes you can turn the knobs to their extremes on the 750, (which you definitly can't do on an eden). I tried one and liked the sound of my demeter and alembic preamps better than the one in the aguilar, but i wouldnt hesitate to use one. As far as the power section goes, it's amazing, the 425 watts into 8 ohms from the 750 was almost as loud as 1300 watts from my bridged stewart amp. Being able to handle a 2 ohm load is a huge plus as well. I think if they made a power amp only version of the 750 they would sell a ton. I'm interested to see what the demeter 600 with the mosfet power amp sounds like, although it's not rated for as much power.

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I agree with your assessment of the bass knob, but I always get plenty of bottom when I flick the bass boost switch. It might be that I just don't want too much boominess, just a little boost for this song or that. Also, it does indeed cut through the mix without overpowering. I've come to really like that part. As I've said before, any kind of J-bass just rules through this amp. I like my Lakland through the WT-800, though.

16. I'm reading alot here about the tone knobs not doing much. Is this amp a "one trick pony"? Like I mentioned earlier, I don't like messing with all the knobs of my eden, but I'm still looking for a bit of versatility. Can this amp get punchy and snappy with crispy highs for slap? Gigantic thundering bottom end? I'd hate to dish out $2300 for one tone.

17. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If you're planning on investing $2300 on a DB750 and you're worried about it filling your needs I say go find a place (either a dealer or a reasonably close-by TBer) and go hear/play one. Only way to know for sure. Swapping info on this forum might point you in the right direction but, again, you really need to hear one.

On the other hand, consider buying used. At least that way if you don't like it you won't take as big hit if you sell it. There was recently (and may still be) one for sale here on the TB classifieds.