1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar DB750 with Epifani 410UL?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dragonlord, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    That's one of the possible future rigs I'm thinking and with a recent chat with KJung he mentioned that he finds the hi-fi character of the Epi to not be such a good match to the tubey approach of the DB750. Some other user had mentioned that he loves this combo... so, I'd like to hear more opinions on this, and what differences should I expect in comparison with cabs better suited to the DB, like Aggie DB cabs or Schroeders.

2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Oh heck yes. IIRC, I loved the DB750 + UL410 in a music store demo.

3. I've actually revised my thinking on that. The only time I heard the Epi410UL/DB750 combo was in Tom B.'s basement, and it was not very impressive in that context. It didn't sound bad... just not significantly louder or deeper than other much smaller heads like the Thunderfunk, etc. However, the sound in Tom's basement (like in any basement) is not really representative of what it sounds like on a gig (or even in another basement!). When you turn the tweeter off or way down on the Epi410UL, it just growls like a monster. A number of TBers who I respect are using this combination with good success.... it can get very tubey and vintage sounding. Not my thing, but I can see how some would dig it.

I've also recently come totally to terms with the Glock HR/Epi410UL pairing... just STUNNING.... massive warmth and punch with the sweetest hi fi treble you've ever heard if that's your thing. Amazing IMO!

4. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Yeah, I bet that glock HR + epi UL410 would be right up my alley, probably exactly what I am looking for/want from an amp and cab. Excellent choice there.

5. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I've heard the DB750 with a DB cab and it was great, deep, warm and growly, but the weight puts me off quite a bit. I want to know if the character of the DB will shine through the Epi or if the hi-finess of the epi will make the DB sound a lot like other hybrid amps that are far smaller and lighter. I want to know if the weight will still be worth it (tonewise, not volume/powerwise) or if it will lose some of the tone in favor of a relatively more "SS-y" kind of sound.
    It would also be interesting to know if you can have a low, vintage sound combined with the airy upper frequencies of the Epi. Don't know if it can be done, haven't heard something like that actually so it's just a combination of the things I liked in each product. All in all, I'd like to know whether the combination makes the good elements of each unit come out, or whether they are defeated by the other unit's character, that is the Epi not having the airy highs and refined sound because of the DB or the DB not sounding as tubey/growly because of the Epi.
    I know they will still sound great, just want to know if they will still be what they are loved for or "just another" very good sounding rig.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    wow,

oddly enough i've never tried these two pieces together. :eyebrow:

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    "oh geez," says my wallet... :meh:

8. I know the feeling... every time I see one of your UL502 posts:D

9. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Well honestly, you can't expect the UL410 to sound like a DB410....totally different designes. The GS410 would be more comparable to the UL410. I think the UL410 has great response, but is definitely hi-fi (full range?). You could tame the high end from the amp or the tweeter control thingie, but vintage goodness? Probably not.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hey guess what? just got back from some session work in philly, and where else would i stop by in PHI than Bass Specialities? ;)

with my MTD 635, glenn the owner was patient enough to let me try the 750 thru nearly all of the 4x10's i could find in the shop! i.e. into the gs410, epi ul410, sadowsky sa410, and the db410. i took a few passes thru each cab w/ no EQ shaping, then w/ as much EQ'ing as possible.

the gs410 acted as my control, and had a terrific sound on its own. has the most airy open sound, a touch soft in the lower mids, and has a nice lower end extension, too. brand on brand gear always rocks, and this combo was no exception.

the epifani ul410 has an awesome carve in the upper mids that really complements the 750's fat tubiness in so many ways. also, the cab is just flat out super articulate and the fastest, most responsive cab under the fingers. couple that with that supremely sweet airy top end, and you've got a great sounding rig. unfortunately, all this gushing comes at a price, cause it didnt quite have the deep depth of sound as the other cabs. might have because of the usually upfront middle range, but the cab overall seemed to lack that big pillowy background of low end i hear in the other cabs.

my fav cab w/ the 750 was easily the sa410. the sa410's palapable chesty lower mid thump seems to meld awesomely w/ the 750's naturally fat grunt. working the opposite end of the tonal spectrum vs. the epifani's upper mids, the sa410 massages those lower mids that again sounded great w/ the 750's fatness. also has a nice edge in the upper mids, with some seriously sweet open airy highs. course, this all sounded great "off" the casters. "on" the casters, there was a loss of that deeper fatness, which kinda didnt work for me.

the db410 is another cool cab, being all middle rounded thump, which seemed to minimize airyness or lower end extension. not as harsh or grating as other "aggressively" voiced cabs, rather rounder and smoother, but a very cool take on the aggro sound.

but all in all, the sadowsky cab fit the 750 to a "T". hope this helps.

11. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Funny, the sadowsky is the most efficient cab mentioned there. Are you sure that it wasnt just the volume difference that made it sound better?

12. +1 to the above. From my limited experience with the Sadowsky 410, that makes sense to me. The Sadowsky, from what I understand, is voiced for big tube amps... with a very tight lower mid bark and growl. Even though the 750 has a transistor power section, it really does behave quite a bit like a tube amp in the low end... so that match-up seems like it would be great.

+1 also to your description of the 410UL... the upper mid clarity is what really hits you. It has plenty of low end for my taste, but I would describe the low end as 'tight and articulate' vs. the 'big' low end in some other cabs.

13. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    mmm GS410. Now just make it as light as the UL410 please.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    yea, i was sorta expecting the two to go together well.

and joel, thx for reminding me to mention it, but yea, the sa410 along w/ the ul410 are the louder of the 4 cabs. course, while louder's always nicer, doesnt necessarily mean its better. just means "louder". ;)

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I agree. The DB 750 and the SA410 really pair up well. I did not like the UL-410 with the DB 750. Ken's point about not hearing it in a band setting is a good point, but the other heads that we tried with the UL-410 pretty much all sounded better (plus, I am pretty well attuned to how things sound in my basement, relative to how they sound on the gig; but I always prefer to hear something on a gig, of course). To me, it wasn't so much a tweeter thing as it was a compounding of midrange coloration that just didn't work so well together.

Another great cab with the DB 750 has been the EA NM-410. It has massive lows and beautiful highs, but very little midrange "honk" (as I often hear in a 4x10 configuration), and the net result is that the DB 750's midrange texture shines through with nothing really getting in the way. :cool:

Tom.

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Though relative to the SA410, I find that the UL-410 is the one with the 'big' low end, and the SA410 is - comparatively - more 'tight and articulate' in the lows. At least that's how I heard them.

Tom.

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Hmmm..., I thought that the UL-410 had pretty massive lows. :confused:

Either way, J-man, if you want deep, clear lows, you gotta hear the NM-410! :bassist::bassist::bassist:

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    dooder,

that cab is on my "quality time" hitlist.

but yea, was really surprised at how the 750 and ul410 just didnt like each other. practically yanks/mets! :p

19. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have a db750 and ul410, I agree with you and also about the low end.

The ag412 is my favorite cab for the db750 of all the cabs I own or have tried.

20. Since this thread is active again, just thought I'd post once more how much I've grown to absolutely LOVE the Glock Heart Rock / 410UL combination. I would agree with the above comments that the 410UL/DB750 is probably not the perfect match-up, and that the Sadowsky would probably be the perfect 'small' cab for that head.

However, the Glock matches up perfectly with the 410UL (4ohm). The HeartRock has pretty much the same power specs as the DB750, but is quicker and tighter sounding due to its all SS design and general design goes and inherent voicing.. It is surprisingly warm in the lower mids though, and puts out massive low end, which works well with the very tightly voiced low end and upper mid clarity of the Epi410UL.

So, my gig experience has reinforced my original reason for buying the HeartRock... I wanted a big, powerful monoblock led sled head like the DB750, but I wanted a more modern, quick, punchy tone versus the more tube warmth of the DB750. It delivers!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021