1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar DB751 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassboysam, Jan 22, 2012.

1. the Aggie website states that the DB751 has a passive tone stack and yet all three bands are boost and cut. Am I missing something here, I thought a passive EQ means cut only?

2. Anyone?

3. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification
    You are correct about the passive tone stack.
    The boost and cut on the DB 751 is measured from the control's 12:00 position.
    The 12:00 position is not flat; but is what we consider to be a good neutral place to start your eq'ing, or you can simply plug and play.

Hope that is helpful.

Dave B.

4. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    Dave,

Is the same thing true for the DB750 or was that a change with the DB751?

The Eq section took a few minutes to get the hang of back when, but it works so well.

Thanks,
    Derrick

5. Thanks Dave, so technically speaking the controls are not +/- 12 db but -24db correct?

6. Aguilar/Dave B.

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    Yes, it is. There is a key difference between the preamps in the 750/751 midrange. The DB 751 has a more useful midrange control due to an active filter added to the tone stack.

DB

7. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Can that filter be added to the 750's tone stack?

8. Aguilar/Dave B.

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    In theory, yes. But it would be a big, messy job. Cutting traces, gluing parts, etc...what we call a big kluge. I don't recommend it. We would probably not be willing to do it for these reasons.

DB

9. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Thanks Dave :)

I have no complaints with the tonal capabilities of my 750, just wondering.

So as far as natural voicing, is the TH500 closer to the 751 or 750? That's my next purchase... unless you plan on making a TH750 :) ( please please please ) :)

Thanks again,
    Derrick

10. Aguilar/Dave B.

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    Really the 750 and 751 are very similar amps. One of the design goals of the 751 was to make sure that we didn't change anything that was intrinsic to the sound of the 750.

There are a lot of opinions about the the Tone Hammer on the boards being this and that....Probably better to ask a more objective party! ........but since you did ask me, the TH 500 has balls, not unlike the DB 750/751. :)

Re: building a TH 750. Remember that we rate our amps with the FTC standard, which is "continuous" and uses a sine wave as a test tone across the amps bandwidth. It's valid to compare the TH 500 to many other bass amps that may be rated 800 or 900 watts using other standards or methods of testing.

DB

11. FWIW, I also find the TH 500 has lots of balls - not the unlimited depth of the 750, but more than many amps I've tried of any size. It also has more tonal variety, IMHO. It is definitely the Aggie sound, and I've used mine for bar rock gigs with one 8 ohm cab.

12. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Awesome!!! Thanks for the power info Dave and RDUB. I will order mine next week. I've been a fan and owner for many years and had basically every amp except the AG single channel and the TH500. Now, I'll be one closer to having owned them all at one point or another.

Best wishes for Agular's continued and well deserved success.
    D