1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar Db810 Wiring?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dong ping, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Dong ping

Dong ping

Jan 24, 2017
    Replacing a speaker in my buddies Aguilar DB810 and he didn't pay attention to how the speaker was wired up when he removed the old one.

I've tried a few configurations on the new speaker, but each confuguration makes one of the speakers much louder than the others. That one speaker ends up sounding flabby and annoying. Not sure if this is normal but I want to make sure I do it the right way regardless.

Does anyone know how this cab is supposed to be wired up? I looked up a few diagrams but I'm not sure if it's parallel or series. I'm also generally pretty unknowledgeable when it comes to current flow.

Thanks in advance.

2. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Smurf Village
    What are the impedance if the speakers? All speakers should be the same.
    Based on that, a speaker wiring can be suggested.

3. Dong ping

Dong ping

Jan 24, 2017
    99% sure they're 8 ohms each. I believe the cab total is 4 ohms if that helps at all. I'll double check when I get home.

4. Four pairs each in series for 16Ω, All four 16Ω pairs wired in parallel for 4Ω total impedance.

The new driver was sourced from the cabinet manufacturer I hope.

5. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Smurf Village
    as it is suggested above, if each speaker is 8ohms, try this wiring:
    9zloxu.

6. Dong ping

Dong ping

Jan 24, 2017
    I had replaced 2 speakers with Aguilar branded speakers before and wasn't extremely impressed, on top of that they kept going out. So I decided to try out a speaker for about half the price. It's one of the higher end eminence speakers. I've heard of people doing this before...can it be a problem?

7. Yes it can. If the cabinet is divided into four separate airspaces put the odd drivers into one of those airspaces. Drivers have parameters that should match. One of them is efficiency. A driver that has a higher efficiency will be louder than the others. If you are blowing Aguilar drivers which you should not be, what are you powering the cabinet with?

8. Dong ping

Dong ping

Jan 24, 2017
    The original Aguilar speaker blew when my guitarist had his guitar plugged up to it with a POG. Haven't tried that again since.

The weirdest thing is that it's not always the Eminence speaker that's louder--depending on how I wire it, it's either the Eminence or the Aguilar speaker next to it. These are the first 2 speakers at the top of the cab.

9. I would imagine that the horizontal pairs are wired in series and the outside drivers are paralleled down That’s the most logical wiring scheme.

It could also be that the Emmi drivers are working with a different polarity than the Aggies. A 9V battery can help you ascertain if this is so. When you are done touch the battery cross the speaker cable plug and all eight cones must move in the same direction. tough the battery across the driver’s terminal strip and note what way the cone moves for each driver. Positive of the battery to positive of the driver makes the cone move out away from the magnet.

10. Replaced one speaker? Doesn't remember the wiring? Only two possibilities.
    Or did he undo more than just one?