Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB900 DI as a preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ashbory, Mar 28, 2002.

1. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    I've been thinking about getting a tube pre-amp/direct box for live and recording. My main goal is to warm up the sound. I don't need tone controls other than whats already on my amp, so I was thinking why not just use a nice DI. It would help keep my rig portable too.
    Anyone doing this currently, does it work for you? Anything that I am overlooking?

My amp is a GK 800RB and my basses are all active.

2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Yea I Do

My new rig is

electric bass->ag 900->channel 1 walter woods ultra high (1200w4ohm)

Double bass (k+k trinity mic bass max blender thing)->chanel 2

the woods 1/4 inch DI out->Little tuner

->(2)bergantino 112's

I still need some kind of volume pedal on each chanel

Im commin from a tube bass amp electric bass back ground thats the sound I like.This rig is a compramise for portability and acomidates the double bass.

the ag definetly warms up the electric (Ive seen many people do this with a sans amp)

I havent played a show where I go though the PA with this rig yet but Ill offer the DI's signal :cool:

3. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    Thanks for the reply Andrew. Sounds like you are getting close to the ultimate rig!

Another question...:)
    Is the 1/4" output from the DI around the same level as from the bass, or a bit hotter?