1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar DB900 DI as a preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ashbory, Mar 28, 2002.

1. I've been thinking about getting a tube pre-amp/direct box for live and recording. My main goal is to warm up the sound. I don't need tone controls other than whats already on my amp, so I was thinking why not just use a nice DI. It would help keep my rig portable too.
    Anyone doing this currently, does it work for you? Anything that I am overlooking?

My amp is a GK 800RB and my basses are all active.

2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Yea I Do

My new rig is

electric bass->ag 900->channel 1 walter woods ultra high (1200w4ohm)

Double bass (k+k trinity mic bass max blender thing)->chanel 2

the woods 1/4 inch DI out->Little tuner

->(2)bergantino 112's

I still need some kind of volume pedal on each chanel

Im commin from a tube bass amp electric bass back ground thats the sound I like.This rig is a compramise for portability and acomidates the double bass.

the ag definetly warms up the electric (Ive seen many people do this with a sans amp)

I havent played a show where I go though the PA with this rig yet but Ill offer the DI's signal :cool:

3. Thanks for the reply Andrew. Sounds like you are getting close to the ultimate rig!

Another question...:)
    Is the 1/4" output from the DI around the same level as from the bass, or a bit hotter?