Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar- Eden-SWR 210?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grooveguru, Aug 3, 2001.

1. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Guys which one would you recommend and why. Will this work in a club/bar setting

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I haven't tried the Aguilar 2-10, but based on my experience with Aguilar and the other brands you mention, I'd definitely go Aguilar. Their gear is just in another league than the other two you mention, IMO (and probably why it usually costs more :rolleyes: ).

Eden is a close second, though.

Do you know what the max. capacity (fire code) of the club is? I've played little dives and jet hangar-sized clubs, so, if we had some idea about the size of the club, that would help.

3. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Probably 200-300 seat at most. How would the response be for slapping. I don't want the thing farting out on the open E. I've been using 410 cabs and it's time for something new. I might add another 210 or 115 at some point. I must admit the specs on the Aguilar look pretty good compared to the other 2. The price is about the same on all 3 brands.

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I've tried them all. The SWR is not good. It couldn't handle the lows or very much bottom. The Aguilar sounded thin to me and kind of dark. The Eden has great bottom end and lowmids. It can be very clear as well.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Peter, I played the Aguilar GS210 and the Eden D210XLT side by side, and the Aguilar had a fuller sound and more bass to my ears.

6. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    How about the Bag End D10BX-D? One of the other posters told me that he compared that Bag End cab side by side with the Eden D-210XLT, and the Bag End bottom was tighter, and when the Eden started farting on low-E (as they do) the Bag End was still sounding great and asking for more power. I don't know why but Bag Ends seem to resist cone breakup much better.

Nightbass

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Oh Yeah? Not at all what I heard. Just goes to show, it really doesn't help to ask for ears that belong to somebody else! Agian, you must try for yourself and decide.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

True Peter, everyone has to listen for themselves.

FWIW, I played a Modulus Q5 through it, and drove it first with the DB359, and then with the WT400.

With either head, the Aguilar sounded fuller, and tighter on the bottom end.

I don't know, maybe the Eden had been sitting there for a few months and been demoed at high volume too many times.

9. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I personally don't like to have so much bottom end coming out that if you get into any non-perfect club setting you're in for a nightmare gig trying to control the rumble. If you're playing gig's for 200-300 people, you might opt for a 212 cab instead of 2 210's. Not much more of a shlep than an Ag or Eden 210, more bottom?

My former SWR goliath jr iii 2 10's had a nice balance between highs and lows, and didn't fart out, yet my 210 xlt did. Was it the guitar or head I had at the time? I'll never know 'cause I've rid myself of everything I had then.

In the right circumstances. almost any cabinet can be made to fart. However, if you set them on top of each other in a rumbly room, or put them on a chair, they tend less to fart and the bottom is controllable. If the room is dead or you're playing outside, try putting your cabs on the floor either with the speakers vertically first and if we're still farting, move the speakers horizontal/parallel with the floor. Having a cabinet with the speakers right across from each other rather then diagonally allows these extra postioning choices you won't have with an Epifani 210 as an example which I believe is a diagonal setup.

I don't know which 410 you have but I have to wonder why you're farting them on the open E unless you have the bottom end so boosted, your head clipping, and/or the cabinet/speakers don't have a reasonable low end response (****ty equipment?).

The SWR 210's are a little more "portable" than the Ag or the Eden and don't have the overpowering bottom end that the Edens or Ag's can have with the double ports. If you like overpowering, reggae type of bottom end, I wouldn't get the SWR's.

I've also owned Bag Ends and they were excellent. You need to take your bass and your head and play all the 210's to pick out what you feel sounds best, but keep in mind that turning the cabinet different ways on stage or how you choose to stack them, even in the music store, can make all the difference in your punch, clarity, or fartiness.

The only final word I can give you is I've always had the availability of more than one cabinet. I would never go to a gig with just a 210 even in a small venue. I'd rather run 2 cabs, a little less volume on the amp, maybe a little more pre-amp volume to compensate and I think you'll be happier than with one cab.

LKaye

10. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I guess you miss understood me. My 410 cabs aren't farting out on the low E. I didn't want to get a 210 that would. As far as my 410s they are Peaveys' and yes they are shi**y equipment but they've served me well for over 10yrs. Just trying to upgrade some equipment. After playing for more than 25yrs I don't think I need a "stack" of 2 410s and a rack of hardware on top anymore. Looks a little silly at my age. I want something that sounds great and is portable. Besides I still have my 2 410s to add if the gig needs it. I'm really leaning towards the Eden D-210XLT unless someone can present some other reasons why not. The Aguilar cab may be really nice but the nameplate bothers me (Looks cartoonish.) I figured at some future point I would add another 210 or 115 cab. Give me some more feedback guys.

11. MikeyD did a sweep generator test on his Eden 210XLT, and said it tuned at 38 Hz. This is perfect for a 4-string: it offers the maximum cone protection because the tuning frequency is below the lowest note of the 4 string bass.

[ edit ]

I mis-stated. The sweep was done by Nightbass. My apologies.

12. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    That was Nightbass, not MikeyD. :)

Let's throw another iron into the fire. All the cab tuning in the world won't protect your speakers from abuse. Take a look at this Eden D-210XLT that came my way... so much for protection!

According to my sources, Eden and Acme cones seem to crease the most. That may be because of the way people use these cabs. Bag End, Epifani, and Aguilar seem to crease the least.

Edens sound great, but I think their design is a little dated compared to the new cabs.

My vote goes for the Aguilar (which I'd like to get, myself...)

Nightbass

13. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I wasn't critisizing your equipment. I just wasn't sure of what you were using. The shi**** comment was not meant as a knock. Even Crate's 410 sounds good in the right circumstances with the right head etc etc.

I also was just trying to make a point that you shouldn't be looking at going with a single 210 to replace one 410, 'cause, regardless of how silly it may look for a person your (Probably OUR) age to have a decent size bass stack, no one will be laughing at you when you sound better than many of the other bassists I've heard both in rock bands and in other all-occasion bands like the one I'm in, who cheap out and sound like crap in the process, just so they can only make one trip to and from their cars.

Even with an Acme, don't only get one cabinet.

Sorry If the opinion is a little strong on this topic. It's several gut wrenching experiences that causes my phobia.
    BTW, I've owned peavey 410's and they were excellent sounding in those groups at that time.

LKaye

14. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I didn't get offended by the comments. What I was trying to get at was that I'm looking for a 210 cabinet and needed some input as to the difference between the three brands I asked about. I was curious as to the output of new cabinets as I haven't bought any cabs in about 10 yrs.. I realize that I'm not going to move alot of air with only 2-10" speakers. I want something portable for jamming and practicing and something that will sound good on stage as well.

My rack consists of a Sabine rack tuner, an Alembic F-1X preamp, a BBE Sonic Maximizer and a Peavey DPC 750 digital amp. With this setup my Peaveys sound great so I know with a new cabinet it will sound even better. Most bands in my area have everything through the PA and my Alembic F-1X has a DI so even with 1 210 going through the PA I should be fine. Eventually I would like to add another 210 or 115. I think this would be very portable and sound great

15. My apologies, Nightbass! I still have your BMP of the Eden cab layout... I should have checked first instead of relying on (poor) memory.

:D

As for the creasing, isn't that from being way over driven? It would seem the cones were properly loaded, as it appears the voice coil moved and the cone did not. I'd think that creasing is simply abuse.

16. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Thanks for everyone's thoughts on the "which cab" question. After speaking with the guys from Bass Northwest as well as Bass Central I decided to go with the Eden D-210XLT. They both seemed lukewarm about the Aguilar (Nothing bad said) but both raved about the Eden. I was already leaning that way about 75% and after talking with both dealers I went Eden. I should have it in about 2 weeks. I ordered an 8ohm cab to which I can add another 210 or 115 later. I also have 2 8ohm 410 cabs I could use on outdoor jobs if needed. My Peavey DPC 750 can handle 4 8ohm cabs if need be. I think I'll be a happy camper here in about 2 weeks. I'll do a full review. If anyone is looking Bass Central has a mint condition D-210XLT cheap. I would have grabbed this one too but I'm loooowww on funds.