Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar for Rock?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Jul 23, 2001.

1. What do you guys think, can Aguilar heads and cabs be used for progressive rock?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Don't let the refined image fool you. Under all that pedigree is a beast.

But you won't know till you try one.

I don't think Leo ever envisioned what came out of his amps later on, even in his wildest dreams.

3. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    "Beast" is definately the word I use to describe the big Aguilar rig. I use it for rock (with the exception of using Epifani cabs) and I think its amazing. If your thinking of progressive rock specifically, the dynamic range under your fingers will impress you I think.

Hey rick, have you yet to do any tube swapping or replacing yet? I'm thinking of going up to the JJ/Tesla KT88's in the 728. Two of the current tubes, which I think are original, are getting microphonic, and three others had broken alignment posts (which were repaired) I think it might be time for the overhaul. Hmmm...?

BTW, eurotubes.com has the best price I've found for the JJ's.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I wish, coyote. :rolleyes: My experience with Aguilar was the summer before I registered at TalkBass. The bassist in another band was in a motorcycle accident and had a tear in his liver from being thrown. This band was booked solid and whichever temporary, substitute, bassist was found was allowed to use his gear, Aguilar. "Whichever bassist" turned out to be me.

In the months of his recuperation, I thought his Aguilar rig was the fattest, best sounding, rig I ever played. If I absolutely had to have that kind of quality at present, I would get it. Plus, for instance, I won't be seeing my gig rig for 4 days. So, it's like, what's the point of having a dynamite amp that I only use 3 times a week, typically?

Once my custom bass is built, my next goal is an Aguilar I can take home with me at the end of the night, or see and use the next day.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i play what can be considered progressive rock, and i use an aguilar db-680. in fact, i had recorded a substantial bit of my parts with a trace elliot ah600smx before i got my db-680. then when i got it, i promptly had to rerecord everything - it's not that the trace was bad - shoot, it was their top of the line model - it's just that the aguilar was that good.

6. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Hey Mr.fortune cookie-

I play all styles using Aguliar and find it to be the most versatile sounding gear I've used yet. My previous rig was Trace Elliot. Very good but, like it was mentioned before, Aguliar was much better! Nothing better then a sweet, fat tone through out the register!

In other words, It will stand up to progressive rock most effectively!

7. What about their cabs as well? What do you guys think of them for prog. rock?

8. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    I have the DB 750 power amp and the GS410 cab with an Ashdown RPM 1 preamp for tone shaping. I've used this rig for both large and medium size indoor shows and also outdoor venues (keep in mind I'm being pump out the p.a. for large outdoor shows) and I have no problem getting a serious thump out of my bass. The beauty part is that whatever tone I need, I get without a major hassle or a ton of effects to dial in! Most of my tone variations come right off my bass. I keep my preamp relatively flat with my treble on three. I get a great fat tone that doesn't fall flat in the high register or become annoyingley(?) bright and yet cut through anything the guitar or keyboards try to out do me with. IMHO, Aguliar kicks serious a**!! :eek: :D

The best way your going to find to see if it'll work for you is to A/B Aguliar and whom ever else your in question about and hear for yourself.

I'm getting ready to buy the GS 112 for smaller venues and for stage monitoring.:D

9. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    I haven't had the opportunity to try this amp out. I saw it at the winter NAMM show but didn't get a chance to check it out up close. If it's anything like their all tube gear, it should kick a**!

If you try it out, post a reply. I'd be curious myself. I would like to know what Aguliars idea of what a SS/ tube amp should sound like!