1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar, GBE, or Thunderfunk

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brekfustuvluzer, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Just bought a used Aggie GS212 and ive narrowed it down to three head choices: Aguilar AG 500, GBE 600, or the Thunderfunk 550b. Ive played all three and like them all for different reasons/applications and id like to hear you all's take on them. Which do you prefer? Why? If anyone is interested i play a little of everything: r&b, funk, rock, metal so for my needs versatility is an important factor.

2. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Tough choice-what do you think? In the end, it's whatever setup gives you the sound and features that you want at a price that is comfortable for you. They all are good pieces. That and trying to explain the purchase to your S.O.!

Kim

3. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Agreed - all good amps. It really comes down to what sounds best with YOUR bass, cabinet and style of music. It comes down to the subjective matter of how it sounds to you.

4. atrapp

atrapp Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Thunderfunk... all Dave does is build this one head... no cabs no preamps - nothing - just the 550B. Buy it.

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I've heard and played the Aguilar 500. I own an eden WT550 AND the Thunderfunk 550b. I prefer the thunderfunk over the eden , but I think you could also get almost as much clarity out of the thunderfunk as you can with the aguilar 500 and at a similar weight.

I believe the thunderfunk could cover BOTH bases of eden heaviness and aguilar 500 clarity and power, but neither of the eden or aguilar perform like the other...

I don't know about the GBE though, sorry...

thunder funk does NOT have overdrive channel like aguilar 500 (dual channel).

6. eff-clef

eff-clef Supporting Member

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    I bought and sent back an Aggie 500 sc. I was very dissapointed. I really wanted to like it! It took too much tweaking to get it to sound good and to be loud. The reviews I read all said how powerfull it was. I also bought a Markbass LMII from GC ( which I loved-plenty of power ) but I returned that because they promised to get me one new in a box. I bought the demo with the understanding that they would call and swop it. Also if, and when Markbass shipped the rack ears it would be free. So I got pissed off and returned it. I thought about the Thunderfunk but they are too pricey! I settled on a Carvin B1500. There is no question about power now! The B1500 has a great flat tone, all the line out options(level,pre EQ-Post EQ,ground lift Etc..[same as Aggie, much better than Littlemark]), and can easily be EQ'd for any situation. the only drawback is the weight. So I put it in a Grundorf Mighty Lite 3 space rack which is only 8 lbs. Plus it only cost $729. shipped. I love this amp!

7. thanks for the replies. as for what i think, i want one of each (and hopefully one day i will have them all!!!) but i can only have one right now :crying:. like i said, i play so many different styles, each one's tone and features are great for certain apps and maybe not so great for others. just wondering what players with more experience with these amps thought that i may not have discovered in my limited time of use (loud show room with constant inquries by "helpful" sales people :D ).

8. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    i own and thunderfunk and really like it. great sound and very well made

i've heard and tried both GB heads and the aguilar but only in shops.

i think they are all quiet similar and you really need to somehow get them all out on a gig to try them and find what works best for you.

9. oops, i forgot about the alembic f-1x! or the phil jones p-1! im gonna need a second job :rolleyes: .

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I've tried prob 15 other heads in the past 18 months and keep coming back and back and back to the T-Funk. TRUST ME, it's the way to go!

11. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I just bought a used Thunderfunk 420 and should get it on Friday. If I like it as much people have told me I would I may have a Genz Benz GBE600 for sale probably around $550 shipped in a Kases Gig Bag. That is if I do not keep it as a backup.

12. I would go with the thunderfunk. When I 1st got mine I was still trying to find the sound I wanted. It took a little time and a lot of patience (because I have none) but eventually I found the tone. The T-funk is a great head, I agree its pricey but it may be the last head you buy. Also, if you have an issue or questions with the head you can talk to Dave directly, its not to often you get to speak with the person who built and designed your head. Good luck!!

13. Quadzilla

Built yes, designed, not really. He "designed" the mute function and a few other things, but the design goes back to A.M.P.....

14. I own a T-Funk and I love it..I had a problem with the input jack and had to send it back to Dave. Not only did he repair the jack but he upgraded the preamp and replaced the back switches to short bats to prevent breaking, all at no charge. Now that's what I call customer service.

15. The GBE is supa versatile with all it's EQ options and two blendable preamps. if you can't find your tone with that amp...

16. Quadzilla

the T-Funk is da king of versatle heads when it comes to tonal options and tweaking....

17. John Le Guyader

John Le Guyader Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    Totally agree on the TFunk all around...and I expereinced the same customer service on my 550B...it is one of the first 55Bs and thumped when you tunred it on...Dave Funk took it back at no charge to give it the current upgrades so it would no longer thump when truned on, plus a host of others upgrades to make it current...and did I say at no charge!!!!

18. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    I run a T-funk 550B w/ Aggie GS112 cabs, and am happier than a pig in mud. And I hope Clint will be happy with my TFB-420 when he gets it! Can't speak to the GB, but do believe the T-Funk beats the Aggie unless you have the two-channel model and are seeking that warm, gritty thing.

As for design, Dave Funk did the mute, the "Switch," improved the cooling and output flexibility, and continues to tweak the basic design with a series of improvements on all fronts. I think there is also another front-panel control (enhance? limiter?) that was added by Dave Funk. Plus he makes and services them!

But we ALL owe a big debt to Russ Allee, who designed the Acoustic 360, his own A.M.P. pre, power and head units (the T-funk evolved from the AMP BH-420 head), and elements of early SWR and Eden designs. Long before I played bass, as a trombonist working with bassists I dug the Acoustic stuff from the mid-70's on, and was amazed by the little bit of AMP stuff I heard. In 1989 I briefly had a Yamaha PB-1 preamp/AMP power amp that was sweet overkill for my context, and way more than I deserved at the time!

Other amp trends come and go, but whatever Russ Allee was about was clearly very deep, as stuff relating to his design work has been top-drawer for over 30 years...and every time I switch my T-funk on and play my first few notes, I get a smile on my face.

If TalkBass ever does a Hall of Fame, my nominatons for first inductees in the amp division go to the guy who did the Ampeg B-15 (Jess Oliver?) and Russ Allee !!!!

Sorry, Dave Funk, but I think you'd have to wait for the second round!

19. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    With all due respect, I'd like to offer a different opinion here.

The TF's do sound great IMO, no doubt, but I don't think they are they are necessarily versatile. The built-in punchiness of the TF design is near impossible to tame to me. You either like it or you don't. Even the "warm" switch on the newer 550b doesn't really soften the attack all that much. So the head seems to have just one "feel" to me. In that respect, there are more flexible options out there.

Expansive EQ options abound on most all pro heads now, with most having 4-5 bands and/or semi-parametrics. So EQ isn't something unique on the TF. The timbre knob is cool, but that's just one thing.

The TF IMO does what it does VERY, VERY well. That's part of it's draw. Simple to use, and punchy right out of the box. If you don't like that, you can't "fix" it, so it's not my idea of a versatile head. YMMV.

20. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Eublet ... I agree with you completely !

:)

I preferred my Aguilar AG500sc to my TF. Not by much, but for whatever reason the Aggie went on gigs while the TF stayed home.

Mr. Funk didn't add the Enhance or the Timbre to the TF, though someone here once said that he had. The TF is essentially the same as the Gibson he copied. As for improvements, well there was nothing wrong with the original but I guess they're improvements. I actually preferred my version - it had a faint sweet grit in the mids the TF couldn't cop.

And I'm of course in total agreement with the person who prefers the B1500. I use it on paying gigs playing everything from metal to jazzy pop and wouldn't trade it for all 3 of those amps and the MarkBass on top though I also own and prefer the LMII to the Aguilar or TF.

Caveat : never tried the Genz. It's not my thing with all the buttons and such.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021