1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar Grape Phaser vs. MXR Phase 90/95

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Phyzzbin, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Phyzzbin

Phyzzbin

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Anybody get the chance to compare these guys? I've got a block 90, and 95, also a Baby Quasar… bit of a phaser-head, me. Should I pull the trigger on a Grape Phaser?

2. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    The Grape is nice. Kind of it’s own thing. I’m a Phase 90 fan and that is the classic phase sound to me. The Grape is less subtle but fun. Wish I was better at describing sounds.

3. Phyzzbin

Phyzzbin

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hey armybass. Big MXR fan here too. Guess I'll have to try the Grape for myself. Thanks and happy holidays! :bassist:

armybass likes this.
  4. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    EBS make a great phaser.... The Dphaser.

Alan Ace Cooper and Driven Crane like this.
  5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    You probably already listened to these:

armybass and Alan Ace Cooper like this.
  6. Phyzzbin

Phyzzbin

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yep. Intriguing.
    Never tried the EBS… and I own a bunch of their pedals.

7. J2Kbass

J2Kbass

Nov 14, 2011
    Gainesville, FL
    So I recently bought all three and have used all 3 in a band mix.

These are my brief thoughts. BTW - I brought both the 90 and 95 to the same rehearsal but haven’t compared them directly to the grape.

The 95 was more subtle than the 90. So if I want subtle then I’d choose 95. If I wanted more in your face phase then I’d choose the 90.

The grape however was the one I preferred and took to the gig. It has more sculpting you can do to the sound. You can make it subtle or more in your face. I did run a compressor after it to raise the level.

The next part almost sounds fake but- my friend was at this event. He’s a keyboard player and audiologist. He said the phaser(grape) sounded great
    But lost some low end.

These of course are just my opinions And observations.

Unemploid, Phyzzbin and eriky4003 like this.
  8. jblock

jblock Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    CT
    I’ve had the Grape and the 95. The 95 had what I regard as a more classic phaser sound but I perceived a slight volume boost, which I think is due to the overall change in tone from the pedal rather than an actual increase in volume. I really liked the Grape and I didn’t feel like it messed with my bass tone or volume, but it was a little big for my small pedalboard. Looks like Aguilar raised the prices on their pedals recently as well.

Phyzzbin likes this.
  9. 76jazzbass

76jazzbass Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    NJ
    Can't go wrong with a Phase 90 but loving the Grape phaser at the moment. I can get a a deep funky sound but still keep on subtle side without getting too swooshy.

Phyzzbin likes this.
  10. J2Kbass

J2Kbass

Nov 14, 2011
    Gainesville, FL
    Agree

11. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    I have the Helix and the Grape. Phaser is pretty much my favorite effect and the one I use before Octave, reverb or anything else besides Overdrive. The Grape was engineered with Bass in mind and found it worked better, also seems to be less noisy as well in my setup anyway. I would love to try the Qasar or the new Fender one.

Phyzzbin likes this.
  12. Phyzzbin

Phyzzbin

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hmm… Fender? (Runs to Fender site, then YouTube) Lost Highway Phaser, huh? Ooh… I gotta try that one! Thanks MojoPenguin!

13. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    Incidentally I have also made a review of this one, I really like it actually !

bryprezcern and Unemploid like this.
  14. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I didn’t care for the Dphaser at all. The one I had was very quiet, and the overall effect was too subtle imo. A lot of people love it though, that was just my experience.

I have a Grape and I’m liking it. I love that it was designed for bass. There’s quite a bit of tweaking available with the Color control, for just one knob.

15. Phase 100 seems dope. I'd like a smaller version. Too bad the grape phaser is 5-12 stage phaser. I personal don't care for 4 stages on bass.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd get the grape phaser... well actually idk.

Also, phase 90 > 95
    Mxr evh phase and mxr phase 99 have both script the block style

I've never liked how the aguilar pedal size is bigger than the mxr size.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  16. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I like the 45 on bass. I think it gives a great phase to the lower end. I am starting to like 2 stage phasers and willing to give the Jams Ripple a try. Bass Version.

17. Phyzzbin

Phyzzbin

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The Lost Highway Phaser didn't work out for me. It gets really fast, really fast. I think if they made the first phaser slower and wider (like the Phase 90, etc.) and kept the second about where it is it would be easier to sort out. Especially with the slow/fast switch name - which is a misnomer to me as both sides appear to be the same speed. The Sensitivity knob is outstanding. V-2, maybe?