Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar GS-112 & Power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dumoti, Nov 13, 2002.

1. dumoti

dumoti

Oct 12, 2002
    Flatlands, KS
    I'm seriously considering the purchase of an Aguilar GS 112. Unfortunately, at the moment, the only amp I have is a 125-watt GK Backline 250. I'd be a little worried about underpowering it and causing damage to the driver at loud volumes. Does anyone know of a minimum wattage for this cab? Does anyone think that what I'm thinking should be a concern?

2. You'll want to feed it a lot of power, yeah. Anything that can produce such unreal bottom is going to need to be well-fed. Since I have an EBS Fafner, which easily puts out 50% more than its 440 specified watts, I don't have too much trouble getting over a loud drummer and a guitarist with a Les Paul and a Mesa/Boogie Mark IV. I do plan to add another one, though.

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I agree w/Peter. I have a Stewart 1.2 on the way for mine. My Carvin DCM600 at 450 watts into 8 ohms clips pretty bad on low notes at high volumes and I can tell that the cab had a lot more left to give. Hopefully 700 watts will be enough:D

4. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.

Pete - Are you using one GS112 or 212 or something different all together? I was just gonna post on the GS112 to find out if anyone else has had a problem pushing them too hard. Mine just won't handle my low B for nothing at higher volumes. Also, I think I may have damaged it by being a little too "pushy" with it. It's starting to have a distorted tone at mid and high volumes.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    There's no such thing as underpowering a cab, and cabs have no minimum wattage in any meaningful sense. However, you probably should get a bigger amp, because if, as you say, you will be playing at "loud" volumes, you just aren't going to be able to get loud strong bass with a 125 W SS amp into a single 12.

6. I'm using one with an Eden CXM110. The GS112 handles a B beautifully at high volume (4.5 on a Fafner qualifies).

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I use one GS112 with an EA V108, and it handles the Low B on both my 5 string fretted with Powerbass roundwounds, and the Low B on my 6 String fretless with Jazz flats. I've had no problems with pooty sounds with both cabs being driven by a MESA Walkabout.

8. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I drive 2 GS112's with a bridged carvin RL1000, and have no problems with the B on my corvette proline.

9. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Well while a GS-112 would be nice I think you should consider a new bass being it's an Ibanez GSR200 that's falling apart... JMO

10. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    That is sort of true. The cabinet just wont perform the way it was designed. The real problem you may run into is over working the amp. Many amps distort when you run them full blast and they can't move the cone properly. It is always best to have "headroom" when it comes to your monitors. If the driver and horn are rated at 300watts you will want to have at least that. More power never hurts if you don't overdrive it. Make sure the impedance matches up.

11. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Hmm.... I wonder what the heck then.. I'm using the DB728 amp (more then enough power) and play a Spector Q5 with 18volt on board & EMG 40's I'm still not sure why this happens unless I'm just using too much bass tone off the bass or I'm just asking too much from it. (I have a habit of playing VERY loud)

12. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    You need to get an Epifani 4x10. It's the loudiest thing I've ever owned. You will never have any volume issues with that cabinet. I picked one up for about $250.00 more than a GS112. You need more cones to move more air to get more volume. If that's what you are after.

13. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Oh no, my brother fiver... I have a GS 410 I use for larger venues which does the job quite nicely! I'm just a bit let down that the GS112 didn't give me the bottom end tone and volume for the smaller to med. range size gigs that I was hoping for.

Again, I think I just play too loud for most shows (not thats it my fault ya see, I'm just trying to keep up with a pair of fender twins that seem to get louder as the night progresses) I was just thinking I could get a big (enough) sound for small shows without having to break out the 410 cab.

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sure, the cab will perform the way it was designed--they're designed to cope with everything from less than 1 W up to their rated capacity and beyond. Cabs are as happy with 1 W as they are with 200. They just don't care.

But you're right that overworking the amp is a problem. However, this has nothing to do with what the cab is rated at and everything to do with how loud you're trying to play in relation to the power you have available.

15. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    210?

AJ

16. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    2 Aggie 112's and an SWR SM 400s. No problems at all handling my Elrick GS 5.

17. The GS 112 is pretty efficient (102dB 1W, 1m) but I doubt that 125W will be enough to get it really loud. Aguilar specs it as a 300W box, so ideally you'd want to power it with an amp somewhere around 400-600W. That being said, it's actually pretty unlikely that you'll damage the speaker with that amp. If you don't let the amp get grossly distorted you'll be totally fine.

18. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    My take on this subject. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. If you push a transistor amp to distortion it creates square waves which are very disasterous to speakers. Thats why everyone recommends at least 50% more power than the speaker rating.

19. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Yeah Andrew, thats what I'm thinking too...

Besides I think the 210 would sound even better with the 410...:D

20. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    jtvwin,

Are you having trouble with the 5 with one cab or two? Looks to me like most people who have no problems are running 2, like me.