Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar gs 112 Vs. Ampeg Svt210HE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluefishgd, Apr 23, 2003.

1. bluefishgd

bluefishgd

Oct 26, 2002
    Rhode Island
    I have narrowed my search for a new cab down to two selections, the Aguilar gs 112 and Ampeg Svt210HE. I want to find the right one to match my 300W Behringer bass head. They both cost 400$, and I can't decide which i should get. I have played the ampeg an it sounds great, but only puts out 200W. I like the 2 speaker cause it gives it less of a muddy sound than one speaker. I haven't played witha an aguilar yet, but i have heard many good things. The aguilar puts out 300w through one speaker, and i don't know if it sounds muddy. which should i buy?

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Where'd you get that Behringer bass head?

I'd get the Ampeg by the way, one 1x12 just wouldn't do it for me.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Those speakers don't "put out" the 200 or 300 watts, that is a rating of power handling capacity. Comparison of those numbers is meaningless given their difference, as you can easily drive twice the rated power into them - you won't hear a difference. What you should really be looking for is their sensitivity rating, measured in db. The higher the number, the louder the cab will seem given the same amount of power coming from your amp.

First and foremost, play through each of them. Your tastes through your ears must prevail. I'd venture that for a clean, true sound, the Aguilars will be preferred by most. However, some might like the snic character of the Ampeg.

4. bluefishgd

bluefishgd

Oct 26, 2002
    Rhode Island
    I am special ordering the ultrabass BX3000T from guitar center, a local store