1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar GS 115 80 pounds? Why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Harlequin NY, Aug 30, 2008.

1. I have been looking for a GS 115 but I am surprised how heavy it is compared to other 15 cabs. Any ideas why it is that way? Rob.

2. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    Heavy plywood construction, non-neo magnet speaker, big box. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

3. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    That's about what my 115 weighs.

4. Thanks. What does the non neo magnet mean on the speaker?

5. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    Many speaker companies are offering an alternative to the standard ceramic magnets in the form of neodymium, a rare earth metal. Neo magnet drivers generally weigh considerably less than their traditional counterparts, but there have been some issues taken by users regarding how they sound. Most cabinet manufacturers currently employ neo speakers (either standard or as an option), with Aguilar being one exception.

6. Thanks for the info Anthbass. I guess I can't go wrong with the GS 115. But 80 pounds- yikes!

7. Hey Scootron, what cabinet do you have that weighs that much?

8. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    Peavey 115BX BW. Picked it up used pretty cheap, but I like the Peavey sound paired with a Fender bass, especially the Black Widow. It is only 75 lbs without the added casters, though.