Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar GS 212 vs. Epifani 310 NYC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by c-ba55, Jul 25, 2005.

1. I have an Aguilar 212, and like it. I see a good deal locally on an Epifani 310 NYC, and will try it out tonight. Anybody have comments on this comparison? I have a Thunderfunk 420 head, a jazz-style bass, and play styles related to jazz/funk, and occasional rock/whatever.

I like the huge bottom, and room-filling ability on the Aguilar, but if the band is being obnoxious, it becomes muddy instead of supportive.

I think the Epifani ought to be more articulate, yet retain a lot of low-end presence. They're practically the same size and weight. The 310 is actually a tad smaller and lighter, with a tad more cone surface area.

I want to be the feelgood bottom of the sound for the most part. But when I take a lead, I want to be clearly in front. I do a lot of gigs without PA, where my gear needs to push the sound through people and to the back, without making the people in front upset.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That it will, and more. Go for the T-310!

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've kept an Epi T-310 in my garage for a number of years now and break it out on gigs frequently (although it's not my number one). A VERY punchy cab that has a solid (if not round and warm) low-end. It's excellent for slap and cuts through very well on a gig. Comparing it to an Ag 212 is a bit like comparing the dog to the cat, however. They are considerably different animals. The Ag is warmer and fatter on the bottom and has less upper register energy, to my ears. But I've only played through the Ag a few times and have never owned one. So, obviously, YMMV. Good luck.

4. The 310UL is a very different beast than the original T-310, especially if you have the model that is thinner in depth (I think it was 16" for the first year or two, and then he took it out to 18"). Nick has also greatly changed the crossover design since then... so everything's different... the new 310 has a much 'tighter' low end than the original, and a much sweeter treble response, along with that neo upper mid articulation. Truly an amazing cab if that's the sound you are after.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i tried a DB750 + NYC-310 setup at a local GC of all places, and HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP, it sounded most excellent with a mike lull jazz-4. if there was ever a rig worth hauling around it was that one.

but bottom line, 10" will be punchier and more cutting thru most any dense mix over 12" loaded cabs. but you wont get that pillow'y fatness that 12" speakers have.

FYI, all of my cabs are 10", and my Epi UL310 has no shortage of low end fatness.

6. Well, I bought it. I'm not sure I love it, but it definitely highlighted the coloring of the Aguilar. And now that I can hear that so obviously, I'm of mixed minds on whether I want the Aguilar sound. It is richer, but when I play the Epifani, it sounds like somebody took a blanket off the Aguilar.

It's a good enough deal that I can essentially rent it for free (or get paid) until I make a final decision.

7. Well, I brought both to rehearsal, and I think the Aguilar is the more usable cabinet. It has the more pleasant sound that melds with a band better. The Epifani was kind of in-your-face and made the bass stand apart from the band. It was very clear and punchy and hi-fi, but that turned out not to be as advantageous to me as I had hoped--in terms of making the music feel good.

I should note that I basically do not slap. When I've heard people slap through this cabinet, it has been really fantastic.

The Aguilar I think has better off-axis sound level as well, so for non-PA gigs I would again prefer it. I'll keep the Aguilar, but one thing I will start doing as a result of this little excursion is turning my mids up (I could hear distinct lack of mids in the Aguilar compared to the Epifani), to have that sharper sound available (by plucking more aggressively) when I need it. I tried this and was pleased by how the Aguilar handled the added input.

So, Epifani 310 NYC is for sale, to someone who'll love it. $650 + shipping.

8. Thanks for the update...I was particularly interested in your impressions as I own an Aggie 212. I just played mine at high volume with my band this Sunday and was highly impressed. I'm pushing it w/ a GK 1001RB-II and a Lakland 55-02 and the volume + tone of the cab were great! I found that a generous mid boost on the 55-02 (@ 700Hz) did wonders for the tone. Cool review, and I'm happy to hear you're sticking w/ the Aggie!

9. Sounds like you made the right decision given your playing style. Wish you could have tried the UL310 instead of the older NYC.... I think you would have liked it a lot better, given your description of your experience with the NYC310.

Anyway... enjoy the Aggie :bassist: