1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar gs 2x12 or Avatar 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DGbass70, Mar 4, 2010.

1. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    This is not a contest or bashing thread:
    I just want to get an idea on what to do,i will be buying a cab soon and i saw the Aguilar for about $525.00 or so(used) but the Avatar(new) with the tolex option and shipping is $498.00.
    Is Aguilar good at that price or should i just get the Avatar?
    How would you guys compare them as far as sound(voicing)
    What do you guys think?

Thanks

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Just remember that you will be able to sell the Aguilar for $500 if you don't love it. The Avatar, not so much.

3. arjune

arjune

Oct 8, 2006
    SF, CA
    I was making this same decision last month before I bought a new 410. I ended up going with the Aguilar GS410, and let me say that I don't regret the purchase in any way, and I can't imagine any situation where I would. It leaves absolutely nothing to be desired and is an amazing cabinet. It's top of the line for a reason!

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Since they're roughly the same price, go with the Aguilar.

1. The Aggie will have a better resale value.

2. The Aggie has a sweeter sounding tweeter horn, not as harsh.

3. The Aggie has a better crossover. Much more robust.

5. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    aguilar certianly has a good reputation, however i believe the avatars are everybit as good. i tried alot of cabs before buying,even a long drive to try an avatar and not only are they the best deal for the money i think they are just as good as the big names. other big names do resale better but i never buy a cab planning to resale just if i like the sound of it.

6. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    1.agreed 2. i find nothing harsh with the tweeter 3. dont know what you mean by that but i found no difference in comparisions, however i admit i didn,t pay much attetion there as i rewire mine to use my gk tweet control

7. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    not sure about aguilar, but my avatar 212 is great.

8. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    BTW...i'll be running that with a Eden WT550 and it replaces an SWR GoliathIII.

9. I have an Avatar 212 and 2 x Aguilar GS112s. I agree that the Aguilar has a better sounding (less harsh) tweeter. The Avatar feels like it has a little stronger low end, but that may be because of the larger cabinet size vs two smaller ones. The Avatar is only a bit heavier than one of the Aguilars, so I imagine the Aguilar 212 will be heavier.

I would look for a used Avatar, you could get one for half the price the Aguilar is going for. The Aguilars sound great though, especially if you like a sweeter sounding high end. I'm keeping the Aguilars because the Avatar 212 cabinet is just a little too big for my car.

10. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    Aguilar it is.....i'll post my opinion about it once i get it.
    Thanks guys..

11. I have an avatar 212 and a gs112 and I like the sound of the aggie better - but just by an inch. since the price is so close I agree w/ the rest to get the aggie ...

12. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    I guess after i receive the 2x12 i'll have to save up for the 2x10.......:D:D:D

13. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    So i finally got my GS2x12 and got to test it a little bit today and i really like what i heard,i tried it with a MusicMan Audiophile amp and it sounded great....can't wait to hear it thru my Eden WT550.

14. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    Got to play and practice today thru it....OMG,i'm so glad i went for Aguilar.
    Good bass,nice treble.
    No real eq. from the Eden just about 2 clicks past 12 and 1 past noon(treble/bass)
    I will play with the eq. a little more for mids...but wow i'm digging it.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020