Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar GS 412 has arrived!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toby, Mar 16, 2005.

1. toby

toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Well, since there is a shortage of reviews for these, I wanted to offer up my own. This beast houses 4 12's and a nice controllable tweeter. I was previosly using a gk 1x15 and a hartk 4x10(which is absolute garbage I think) the second I turned on my amp (GK 700rbII) I started to smile. This is the most pristine/clean sounding cab Ive heard. I had heard complaints about this cab not being bright enough to cut, but I actually had to turn the tweeter down to below 25% or it was too bright for my tastes. Granted the gk head is known for players having to roll off the highs because of its brightness.
    My plan is to now search for nice warm tube head (currently in love with the fender bassman 300) Be warned, for all you Ampeg lovers looking for a classic boom that is not so defined, this cab is not for you. But if you want a super loud, super clear, punch you in the chest, win the volume war every time and never distort cab that by the way is 40 lbs lighter than most of the 8x10's out there, get one of these.

2. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    Amen. I use two Aguilar GS-212's because I'm too lazy to lift a 412. :D They're wonderful cabs. They can handle super loud and aggressive. They can handle smooth and articulate.

Horny Toad

[​IMG]

3. I tried the GS412 with the Aguilar DB359. This rig rocks!!!!! You could give it a try.

4. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I spoke to GARD today and I might be getting one of these too. How tall is it in comparison to a 4X10? I own a GS112 and a DB750 so I know it rocks!! Eric Wilson uses 2 of them!

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Larry how loud were you able to get with only 200 watts and that cab?

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i bet very

please post a review of this on talkbass' gear reviews section if you haven't already done so. you can always edit it with your future insights.

i'm glad aggie decided to go with an "almost" vertical setup for this cab. it should sound much better than cabs with side by side speakers.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    joey,

the 412 is literally twice the height of a 4x10.

and sweetness, toby.

a very cool big gig cab. :cool:

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I was looking at one of these for a long time.. Although i've just bought the Mesa 1516, it's giving me a really hard time, so i'm thinking of either fixing all the speakers/getting new ones or just selling it and my SWR's plug a little more cash for an Aggy.. I can get one shipped over to Aus from America for around $2000, although that's got no warranty. Or pay closer to $3000 and have warranty.. not sure.

Does this cab work well for the big loud rock scene?

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Didn't compare two GS212's to a GS412 did you?

10. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

No, I had no interest in doing that. I didn't want one big cabinet. I wanted the flexibility of having two. I run the two GS-212's with an Avatar B410

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Actually the GS410 is 28.25 high x2 = 56.5" tall.
    The GS412 is 45" high. Quite a difference.

Congrats on the cab! it is a monster! The cleanest sounding big cab out there. Wait til you get it outside and really feed some power into it! :D

12. Loud enough!!!! I couldn't tried the whole rig with drums and guitars so I can't tell you if it's going to be enough for any situations. However ,as far as I know, I do think the 200wDB359 +GS412 can easily handle most of them.
    If you're sceptical about the result, the db728 is twice the power of the Db359, if you add a preamp of your choice or a 659 or 680, you won't need another rig for the rest of your life.

13. toby

toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Ok, so last night I got a chance to test out the 412 with my band. 2 guitars and drums, ealy 90's alt rock sort of thing
    (www.myspace.com/goldenstate)
    We started off super loud as usual, this being my first session with the new cab I was unsure where to set my volume. This thing was thunderous, only running a gk 700rbII though it(which is ok, but nothing special) We played a couple songs and the guitar players kept turning up to keep up (marshall and mesa half stacks) well, after a couple songs we decided to turn down cause our singer was whining that he couldnt hear himself. So we started playing at a nice normal, comfy level. Just want to say this cab still sounded awesome at a low volume. I was lower than I usually am and still cut the mix better than I ever have before. Let me say it again.... I love this cab. After my new head purchase (Fender 300 bassman, m-pulse 600 or svt classic) I think I will finally be in tone heaven.

14. Yeah, that's right.

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I bet a ThunderFunk would sound very good with your 4x12.

16. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I also know that a DB750 or DB680 + DB728 sounds sick through the GS412

17. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I played through a DB750 and two GS412s at the NAMM show and it was absolutely unreal. If I had a team of roadies and a bunch of rock gigs lined up, that would be my choice.

18. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    You own a Thunderfunk, or just heard? How do you think one would suit a Mesa 1516?

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Heard the TF with a Schroeder 1210.
    Should sound great with any Mesa cab.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ahhh,

if we all could be Chris Chaney... ;)