Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar GS Cabs Distort!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Artemis, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Artemis

Artemis

Apr 21, 2003
    I was thinking about buying some Aguilar cabs and I'm not sure now. I tried a GS412 and a GS410 and both distorted a lot when played loud. I've never noticed this through my Eden cabs. It was definitely not a case where the amp itself was clipping but the speakers just not being able to handle the volume. Anyone else witness this problem?

2. toby

toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Hmm, I recently purchased a gs412 and I have pushed the hell out of it and its still so pristine. These cabs are rated at 1200 watts @4ohms. I cant imagine why it would distort. Perhaps the pickups on your bass are a little too hot? Cant say Ive dealt with your issure with my aggy cab, but I really love it, and would recommend them to anyone.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

where did you try them? how many watts were being fed into the Aggies? how careful were you in finding the distortion? could have been something vibrating sympathetically in the room. also, were they used? could have been an unknown blown driver.

and no, have yet to hear a brand new Aggie cab "distort". and IME, i prefer the sound of Aggie cabs by far, over the more edgier, harsher, Eden cabs.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Must be something wrong ... My GS410 is loud and clean when pushed hard.

Could be a blown speaker, a bad cable, a bad amp ...

5. Artemis

Artemis

Apr 21, 2003
    I was a little surprized too. In both the 412 and the 410 there was a lot of cone excursion and distortion. It had nothing to do with the pickups as the clip lights on none of the heads I tried ever came on, not from the preamp side or the power amp side. It was a little disappointing. I do like the tone of the Ag speakers better than most but I play at loud volumes and if they can't handle it I guess I will stick with my Eden's.

6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I use a GS210 and a GS112 powered by a Mesa M-Pulse 600. I have pushed these cabs to insane levels on many gigs and they never break up. In fact, it seems the more you throw at them, the better they sound. (FWIW, I have two active Pedullas, one is the Thunderbolt with very hot soapbars.)

Just my $.02. YMMV.

7. Artemis

Artemis

Apr 21, 2003
    These were brand new. I tried a DB750 and an Eden WT550. The distortion was coming from the speakers without a doubt.

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I regularly run half of a QSC PLX1602 into my 4 ohm GS410 to occassional clipping. That makes about 500 watts ... which I'm pretty sure is more power than the WT-500 could deliver, and if the cab was 8 ohms then it is more than either one could deliver.

The cabs could have easily been blown by someone running them too hard in the shop :eyebrow: Or they could be defective. At any rate I'd say your results are an anomoly.

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I have two GS410's, run through separate channels of a power amp. One gets 1500 watts, one gets 900. I play in a LOUD rock band, and neither cabinet distorts.

The only time I had ANY unwanted distortion is when one of the cabs had creased speakers due to misuse. Replacing the drivers removed that distortion.

10. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I have owned both and they have never distorted. The sound if anything compared to an Eden is pure butta!

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea,

like everyone else mentioned, i cant imagine Aggie's distorting with the rigs you were trying. my only guess is that they were messed up in shipping, that while comestically fine, internally damaged.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    my gs112 just begs for mo' power....

13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    My GS410 gets insanely loud with my Stewart 2.1 bridged into it. Not a hint of distortion and no creased cones.

14. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I run mine bridged with PLX-2402, almost near clipping ,and it never distorted, and yes it's freaking loud

15. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I wish I could afford an Aguilar GS412 :( I'l fix up my Mesa 1516 get a Thunderfunk or something for an amp, see if it's what i want, if not, i'll sell the Mesa and try get some aggy's.