Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar gs112 + Acme or EA VL cab... good idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Golem II, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I believe in an earlier post here someone discussed combining EA's newer CxL cabs with their older, "inefficient but flat" VL cabs in one rig, and stated that they were a perfect combination. So I was wondering, given the "dark", "aggressive", sound of Aguilar's 12" cab, would a single Aguilar sound good paired with a "flat-response" cab like an Acme or a Euphonic VL series? In other words, would they make up for each other's weaknesses?

I'm still looking for a partner for my single Aguilar GS112. I'm hoping something like a Euphonic VL or an Acme would fill in the Aguilar's sound, which is sort of thin and timid on its own, and give the rig some extra low end and a smoother frequency range. However, the Aguilar is supposedly much louder and more efficient, and may drown out its partner completely. Has anyone tried this sort of combination? Maybe I'd be better off with two Aguilar 12s? Any thoughts?

2. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    *bump*

Come on, someone has to have an opinion on this. Jokerjkny, didn't you have an Acme low b2 at the same time as an aguilar 112?

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey, golem, I've been meaning to reply to your thread since I've been using an Aguilar 1x12 with an EA VL 1x8 for a couple of months now. Unfortunately, being at work doesn't allow me the luxury to write a full review. If you do a search on bassmonkeee AND Mesa, you should find something that I wrote in the past.

I'll do my best to come and write something else when I get home if I get a chance.

4. Ive never experienced the EA's but i did a bunch of a/b comparisons of 112" cabs in an afternoon. I used my bass (78pbass) and head (mesa m-2000) with the :
    Ag GS112
    Berg HT112 and Hx112 (i believe thats it)
    Genz 112
    Epiphani 112 (both models with and without tweet)

My experience: The Gs112 was everything you said it was- Dark and aggressive (which i really liked). I felt that the Berg with no tweet was an awesome compliment to the Ag-it really filled the "missing pieces". The Epi with no tweet and the ag was tighter, but more nasal and a bit less full (the salesman said something about the way the the frequencies interact cause a bit of phase cancellation).

I cant opine at all on the Acme. sorry.

I hope this helps.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

where was this at? Austin Bass Traders?

6. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    If you check my profile Golem, you'll see I've gone completely Aggie nuts lately :D . I'm waiting on my second GS112 as we speak, and intend the two 112 cab setup to be for the smaller gigs. I find that with my Aguilar DB750, the GS112 has an awesome full range. Are you sure it's not the Yamaha setup you're running that's a bit "thin", as you say?

7. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Golem, I think you're right about the different volumes, with the Ag's sensitivity of 102 and the EA & Acme's in the low to mid 90's. I haven't played through the Ag, but I recently paired a VL210 with a LowB2, both 8ohm. I LOVE both cabs, but the EA is quite a bit louder than the Acme. Surprising, since their sensitivities are close at 93 and 95. Or maybe my "upgraded" EA (with cXL tens) has a higher sensitivity. Anybody know?

Are you thinking about a 1x10 or a 2x10 with the 112? My GUESS is the VL210 and the Ag112 would be a good match, but sorry, no actual experience with these two.

PS. As you probably know, the VL210 weighs 70 lbs.

8. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I'm leaning towards the acme low b2, due to the price and weight. I'm working on upgrading the rest of my setup too, but the speakers are my top priority since I need to push more air and I'm looking towards bi-amping.

9. larry Morgan Music in Garland (north east suburb of dallas). great selection, but effete gear snobs throughout. There's few things i hate more than a salesman that bags on what i have to get me to buy what they are selling. According to them, my Mesa is bourgeousie (sp?).

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Epiphani makes a 112 without a Tweeter?

AJ

11. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Having owned a pair of Acme Low B2s and now owning a pair of GS 112s, I can honestly say you will most likely notice a large difference in the volume levels. The 9 db difference in sensitivity is significant. The Aggies (to my ears) sound great and don't require near the power. I really like my pair of GS 112s. For the sound and price they're hard to beat.

12. you're right, i was thinking of the Berg. I dunno why i wrote that. I guess i was dreamyland while reminiscing :D:rolleyes: