Aguilar GS112 and a Mesa 400+, Will it work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bron-Y-AurStomp, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Bron-Y-AurStomp

Bron-Y-AurStomp Lazy

Nov 30, 2003
    Plainfield, IL
    Well, my guitarist friend that I usually jam with finally got a 120 watt Peavey tube amp. My pitiful ten watt practice amp now obsolete for jamming, I decided to bring my bigger rig last night. I use a Mesa 400+ with a 4x10 Ampeg Pro Cabinet. The 50 odd pound head I can deal with fine. THe cab, on the other hand.. I don't even know how I got it into my basement in the first place. It's just too heavy.

So, recently I've been thinking of getting a cabinet that just plain doesn't weigh as much.

I love the sound of the Mesa 400+, (I'm thinking of retubing it, but that's another thread for another time), and the cab sounds pretty nice, not to mention a bargain when I got it, but I can't deal with moving it up and down and up and.. you get the picture.

I've been looking at the Aguilar GS112 as a possible replacement. It seems light enough and loud enough, and from the reviews I've heard, it sounds pretty nice. THe thing is, I want to use my 400+ with it. At 300 watts RMS, I was just wondering if the 400+ won't blow out the speakers. I've heard that the 400+ only puts out about 300 watts anyways, but I was just wondering if anyone has ever used a powerful amp like the 400+ with the GS112. I'd probably try it out before I bought it anyways, but I'd like to know if the cab would blow out in the store if I tried it.

I might possibly upgrade and get a second GS112 if I like the first one and just get rid of my 4x10, but as of right now I just need something lighter, more portable for smaller applications (jamming, rehearsal), but still capable of handling my Bass 400+, and still loud. Is this possible?

Let me know if I need to clarify myself. Thanks for the help.
  2. You'll most likely need more than 1 GS112 if you're trying to keep up with that 120 watt combo, unless you're playing in really quiet situations with little to no distortion on the guitar.

Do you play 80s new wave?
  3. light weight, LOUD, dependable...sounds like avatar to me :D

I'm ordering a b210 and sb115 friday to replace my b410...

each cab is under 50lbs...

the 210 is 700 watts RMS and the 115 is 600watts RMS

and both are around 250 new shipped
  4. I've owned both Avatar and Aguilar, and the Avatars don't hold a candle to the Aggie sound. I had 2 CB112s and have switched to 2 GS112s and the difference is light and day.

The ONLY way I'd go back to Avatar would be if I had a REALLY powerful amp running things (like 1000+ watts).
  5. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    also if hes running two cabs at 8ohms wouldnt the head spit out 200w to each cab? So i'd think everthing is fine. Im pretty bad at ohms and ratings so if im wrong, sorry.
    Ive got 2 GS112s with a Walkabout head (300w at 4ohms) and i was under the assumption that with two 8ohm cabs they each are getting 1/2 of the head's 4ohm rating which is 300w so each cab is getting 150w. No?
  6. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'm using a PLX 1202 bridged mono into two 112s. It's all about headroom. As long as you don't get crazy with the volume, it's better to have the extra power.

7. You're right, but he's talking about using one GS112 with the 400+ which is a full tube amp. That's a lot of power for one cab. I still maintain that it would be better to pair it up with two speakers just for surface area issues. He's got enough power.
  8. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ

ah ha.....i got confused....i was reading your first post about two cabs. Anyhow, i second the idea of 2 GS112s.
  9. I believe you'll kill the GS112, IMO it's just not enough.
  10. Bron-Y-AurStomp

Bron-Y-AurStomp Lazy

Nov 30, 2003
    Plainfield, IL
    So the general concensus is, it wouldn't work. I was afraid of that, but fools can hope too. So... back to square one.

I've been trying to think of some other options here. I really like my 400+, I don't really want to get rid of it, it sounds awesome and isn't that cumbersome IMHO. This cab just isn't going to work out for rehearsal, so by way of logic, the cab should go. I need a powerful, lightweight cab, preferably loud enough for a show if I'm going to get rid of the 4x10, but maneuverable and still useable for rehearsal. What are my options?

I've gained a lot of interest in the Schroeder cabs, they seem to be exactly what I'm looking for, however there's no way I can get out and try one from my current residence. How do these sound, in comparison to Ampeg or similar? As I've only really read comparisons to Bergie or Epifani.

Do you think this would work better for my situation, or what other options do I have? I'm somewhat at a loss. :crying:

Thanks for all the helpful input so far.
  11. I've posted many times on the 400+. I had two of them and I loved them, but sold them because the 400+ could not power my Bigger HT seriers Berg cabs past a medium volume without clipping or farting out. The Boogies brag 500 watts but as you said realistically it's more like 300w and did not work for me and the big HT Bergs or the Epi 212 I once had. It did however sound great with my smaller Berg 112's but it was a mismatch in stability and a big hassel to hook up. I may someday by another 400+ to use with my Berg NV610 which it worked well with. I've since replaced my "big" amp rig with another heavy-a$$ amp the Crest CA9 with my Demeter pre and is sounds superb. So I'm back to heavy again anyway. The 400+ is a great amp and I recommend you try some Svetlana 6L6GC and some EV12ax7 for tubes. I've got a used set if you're interested. I've also got a set of Sovtek 5881 which are fine but a more aggressive sound with more distortion which I didn't like. They are just sitting in my closet all boxed up.

12. I guarantee that a 400+ into an NV-610 would melt yer face off!!!!
    The NV-610 is just made for tube amps..... :p
  13. Mark,
    Ya, I'm kinda sorry I sold it. I had just gotten the NV610 and had a buyer for the last of my 400+'s. I should have waited to sell but I was so disappointed with the amp and the HT-Bergs at the time I just sold it. Also, I had the Demeter and the PLX2402 and was sure I wanted to go light weight at the time. The Boogie rig I had was really heavy though, a whopping 85# in a six space rack, and the amp being not so deep made it very front end heavy with it's transformers close to the front, which gave me stability problems I didn't want to deal with. What I should have done was just take the amp out of the SKB and have a 2 space rack just for the tuner and conditoner. I was going to have a custom case made for the Boogie that would allow me to just drop it straight down by holding the handles and just taking the a/c cord off. That would have been the way for me to go.... but I sold it. Even J.Berg suggested that amp for the sealed NV cabs. Like I said someday I may pickup another. Good enough for Sir Paul all these years too. I know Jon Starr has the 400+ and an NV215. Man you could do some Beatles and MoTown with that rig. Fat City Bro.
  14. just to put in my 2 cents... the 400+ would work with a Aguilar 1X12. however you would just have to be careful about how high you turn up the volume because you would have enough power to damage the cab if you turn it up too high.

I also think that if you are playing with a 120 watt guitar amp a single 12" speaker is not going to move enough air. if you bought 2 aguilar 1X12's then I think you would be in business.

I don't know what your budget is but epifani makes an ultra light series of cabinets, their 4X10 only weighs 62 pounds.