Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar GS112 Crossover Frequency/ GK Biamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gmarcus, Apr 9, 2004.

1. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    I am considering running my GS112 biamped with a GK1001 RB-II. I know I will have to wire in a 4-pole speakon connector. My question is "what is the cross over frequency between the tweeter and the woofer" The GK will only send frequencies above 5K to the tweeter. Has anyone done this? What does it sound like?

Thanks

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The Aggie is not designed to accept a 4 pole speakon separating the tweeter from the 12". It has its own crossover circuitry. You could bypass it, I suppose, but that would be quite a bit of surgery on an otherwise perfect cab. You have very little to gain from this, IMO.

3. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I am pretty sure GK runs their woofers full range, meaning they roll off naturally at the upper end of their frequency response. Not sure if Aguilar does the same. 5K is fairly high for a crossover point, so I don't think your tweeter would suffer. It just becomes a question as to whether the woofer can go that high. FWIW, I owned a 1001rb-II, 210 and 115 RBH cabs for about a week. I returned the whole rig because I couldn't get my sound dialed in. I listened to the cabs with the passive crossover engaged and disengaged (with the electronic crossover and bi-amp feature engaged.) The results were audible and the electronic crossover definitely made the cabs sound clearer and more dynamic. However, it was not a "Holy S***!" type improvement and not nearly as big a difference as changing strings or pickups on your bass. I used to have a GS-112 and a GK 700rb-I and I kept the tweeter all but turned off anyway. If you are a tweak-meister you might enjoy the whole crossover-bypass project. IMO, the net result will be a minor improvement that might improve the clarity a shade.

4. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    yeah, on the newer gk heads, the woofer amp is full range (unless you push in the woofer x-over button, then it cuts above 5 or 10k), and the tweeter amp is just 5k and above (and there's a tweeter hi-cut button to get rid of the shrill, mariah carey-esque highs). i happen to really like my 1001rb mark 1, but it really isn't THAT big a difference with the biamping, so i don't know if it'd be worth it to do all that work. :bassist:

5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I tried something like this with my 700RB-I and an Avatar CB112.I didn't think the difference was worth the hassle...as the manual says, it allows you to have distortion in the woofer while the tweeter remains clean.

The II series of amps are supposed to have quieter tweeter amps, so your venture might be successful. But given that the Aggie cab is already pretty nice and you'd have to bypass the crossover board, any improvements might not be worth what you risk by trying.

In my case, I ended up wiring my added Speakon cable to full range and it sounds really nice with the Avatar-GK combination.

6. gmarcus

Apr 4, 2003
    Thanks for all of the replies. I'm definitely not into messing with a great sound unless it gives a big payoff. Sounds like it won't really matter too much. On a related note. Can you use a standard two connector speakon cable to connect the Aggie to the GK? Will the included 4 connector cable work with the Aggie speakon conector to drive the cabinet full range?

7. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    The 4 conductor GK cord will work with the Aguilar full range. That's because they are both 1+, 1-

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, you do not want to use the supplied GK speakon cable with the Aguilar. You should only use a 2 conductor cable when you are wanting to run a full range cabinet. (See user manual, page 7)

9. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    There is always lots of confusion about GK's bi-amp function and the 4 conductor cord. I used to have a GS-112 and a GK 700rb. I used the supplied 4 conductor cord with the Aggie with no problems (in fact, it sounded better than a Monster Cable with 1/4" jacks.) The 4 conductors are 1+, 1- for the woofer full range and the other two conductors are 2+, 2- for the tweeter circuit. All passive crossovers are wired 1+, 1-, which is the same way a 1/4" phone jack is wired. When you hook the 4 conductor cord up to a GK cab with bi-amp capabilities, and you engage the internal electronic crossover, disable the passive crossover in the cab by sliding the bi-amp switch, and the net result is you are sending two signals: one full range to the woofer (it is allowed to roll-off naturally with no limit on the frequencies) and one only 5Khz and above to the tweeter. If you use the 4 conductor cord on a regular 1+, 1- Speakon connector, the other two conductors are not connected to anything. In order for them to be used, you have to have a 4 conductor Speakon connector.

10. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    yeah, what he said :)

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I fully understand that. But, isn't that like leaving a speaker cable plugged into the 50W tweeter power amp and leaving it dangling from the back of the cab? Why have the 2+, 2- on the amp side, and not on the amp side? But--if you can hear the difference between a 1/4" speaker cable, and Speakon cable, I'm not going to argue with you...

I use my GK1001RB with a 2 2-conductor Speakon cables--one going to an Aguilar GS112, and the other going to an EA CXL110. Sounds great, and you have to love the satisfaction of the Speakon "click" when you plug them in. I already had the 2 conductor cables, so I never bothered to even try it with the 4 conductor cable. Since, you know, it advised against it in the manual.

YMMV

12. As long as the GS112 doesn't have anything wired to 2+ or 2-, then you can use the GK speakon cable. If you aren't sure, then the safest thing to do is to buy a regular 2 pin speakon.

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, it isn't the first time I've been wrong, and it won't be the last. :bassist:

Glad to know that I can actually use this 4 conductor cable if I need to.

14. gmarcus

Apr 4, 2003
    Interresting. So getting back to my first question, does anyone know what kind of crossover is in the gs112?
    - What frequency does the tweeter cross in at?
    - What is the slope of the crossover
    - does the woofer run full range or is it cut off?
    - at what frequency and slope?