Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar GS112...does P or J make a difference?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ccyork, Dec 7, 2004.

1. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    I'm using an Aguilar GS112 with a P-bass. It sounds great alone, but cannot be heard really well once mixed with a band. Would using a J-bass help me to cut through more? Has anyone tried both a P and J thorugh the 112s? What's your experience?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the j might help a bit, but really what you need to do is boost the mids on your amp, and maybe even cut a little bit of bass. The aggie sounds great, but its "scooped" tone is definitely a little mid shy, and mids are going to be what cuts through in a live situation.

3. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Beside what IvanMike posted, I also found that a second GS112 made a big difference.

4. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    Was it just more of the same tone only louder, or did the additon of the second cabinet actually add more "presence?"

5. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    The addition of the second cab makes a big difference in tone to my ears, more oomph, better cutting ability. It will always be a dark sounding cab, but 2 is way better than 1.

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Using two 112s will make a world of difference. What amp are you using?? I use the 2-112s with my DB359 and Walnut Pbass and it works great for a medium size venue

7. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    I use a GK 700RBII.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have an eden 112 with my aggie 112 - that's the best deal i have ever made....gard told me to do this and he was right on!!!

just my 2 pesos

:)

9. Do you have a picture of this setup? I'd like to see how they stack together.

10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    One thing that I've done in the past to help me cut through in a mix more effectively is sit down with my guitar player and figure out how he's got his EQ setup. If you know where he's got a lot of one frequency but is shy in another, you'll know where to boost your EQ to help yourself be heard. Sometimes a compromise between the EQ's will be needed to get the whole band dialed in the way you would like, but the end result is typically better. Just something to try that won't cost you a dime.

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    sorry, i don't, but they do stack, not perfectly. they DO sound wonderful!

i'll see if i can take a pic of them (my Palm Zire has a lousy digi cam) - PM me to remind me, i'm in the middle of a nervous breakdown (another thread!) :D ;)

12. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Word.

13. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    yeah definately 2 GS112s make a difference. I am not a fan of one by itself, but 2 together have strong (and loud) tone.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    work with the EQ, while the band is playing. also, how close are you sitting to the cab? if the sound is hitting your knees, you might feel buried. aim it up to your head, or better yet, sit it up higher.

again, i've had lots of luck with aggressive EQ'ing, as the Aggies do tend to be a tad midrange shy.

15. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    +1

My experience is not "more of the same" but rather, bigger, better, more throaty, more in your face when adding additional cab(s) with the same speaker config. I *highly* recommend it.

Also, the J is a sweeter (to my ears) sounding bass than the P. I'd personally stick with the P (but then again, that's what I play.) Adding speakers - or more headroom (bigger amp) will do far more than changing basses - imho.

16. Luciano_Bass

Luciano_Bass Guest

Nov 6, 2004
    Glasgow
    You might also want to look at some kind of compression, with EQ, compression can bring your bass to an all over sound, the highs not so high the bass not so bass etc.

Just a thought...

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Now this is some good advice. I got caught in up buying new gear to fit into my band better.

One night, I sat down with the two guitar players, and told them to get the heck out of my frequencies, and if they wanted to keep playing my notes, then they could buy me bigger, louder amps and cabs. A few mintues later, they EQed out of my range, and it made a world of difference.

-Mike

18. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    Any suggestions on how the guitar player should set his amp in order to stay out of my range? Does he need to get thoroughly thin and tinny sounding? How did you figure it out?

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well dude, it is all about the frequencies on the EQ. You need to identify the ones you have boosted and let him know to back off on those freq's in his EQ. Likewise, you should make sure you cut back on the ones the guitar player has boosted. Your guitar player won't have to get tinny and thin sounding, he just needs to stay out of the basic ones for bass.

I don't think there is a simple list of freq's the guitar player should cut out. You really need to spend a few minutes with your guitar player before a gig/practice to figure it out. While there are some fundamental ones, it will be different in each band setting.

-Mike

20. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

lot of good responses. I'd start with the cheapest, quickest, and easiest. Acoustics and volume are also issues. Bass sometimes doesn't cut cause everybody is so cranked it's just noise rechoceting off walls.