Aguilar GS112 Factory Screw Up?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RumbleBot, Sep 17, 2003.

1. So I feel so smart now. I've been having some trouble getting the volume and low end out of my pair of of Aggie GS112s. They sounded great solo, but I was actually losing low end when I ran them together. I didn't completely kick in as to what the problem was until I was playing them with an SWR SM400S in stereo mode. When I when all to one or the other, they sounded great, but again, with both I was losing a lot of sound. Everybody see where I'm going with this? SO I hauled out a 9V and did a polarity check on both of them. Yup. They were out. So I opened one of them up and swapped the leads to the 12" speaker. Polarity's great now and my amp sounds at least 3 times louder! Thanks laws of physics! Has this happend to anybody else whith speaker cabs?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I ALWAYS check the polarity when I get a new cabinet. Sometimes with manufacturers, it seems the wiring harnesses are "pre-done" and the final connections are made by the part-time janitors . . .
  3. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Had that happen on a BagEnd S15D.
  4. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    HEY! I'm a janitor...and I never hook up my leads out of phase!!! I work full time too!
  5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Can you fellas explain how to do a polarity check with the 9V? I'm a failed pre-med student, not a failed engineering student:)
  6. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    well I just tried it on my two GS-112s A-O-K!!!

I plugged ONLY my 1/4" speaker cable into the cab, the other end loose in my had I touched the + or a 9v battery (small 9v) to the tip of the 1/4 plug and rotated the shaft of the plug down onto the - of the 9v battery and the speaker moved OUT. checked the other speaker and it moved OUT.

If you have multiple speakers in one cab like a 210 they both should move in the same direction. or if you have two separate cabs they should also move in the same direction.
  7. This solved A LOT of problems for me. I've been turning up to over half volume on my GK 1001RB just to be heard in small/mid venues. I should have realized this earlier. With one cab I was shaking the walls in our practice space, and with two I wasn't.... :meh:
  8. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
  9. Hey 20db pad? Did that mean that you had the same problem?
  10. flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england
    So let me get this straight, i plug my lead into my amp which is connected to my 210 then i put the jack onto the + of a 9v battery, then i move the jack down so it's touching both the + and -? should i do this with the 210 and the 15 at the same time or individually? is there any risk of speaker damage here?

Pardon me for my stupidity!

many thanks,
  11. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    no no no ! ! !

UNPLUG your 1/4 speaker cable from your amp. have the cord ONLY plugged into cab, touch tip to POSITIVE on a little 9V batter (not those two LB lantern batteries) move plug so the NEGATIVE also touches the SLEEVE of the 1/4" plug (see the insulting spacer?) you'll hear a loud click and if you hold the battrey on plug you'll see the speaker 'holding' itself IN or OUT.

perform the same connection on other cabs if you play them together and they should all move in the same direction, provided you always touch the POSITIVE to the tip and the NEGATIVE to the sleeve. MOST speakers if wired properly will MOVE OUT with the POSITIVE on the tip of the plug. the direction is not as important as ALL SPEAKERS MOVING IN THE SAME DIRECTION WITH SAME CONNECTING PROCEEDURE.

if you have a cable you can run from cab1 to cab2 you could check them at the same time. not a bad idea. this avoids the mistake of reversing polarity during test from one speaker to another.

should not hurt the speakers as long as you don't leave it connected for more than a few seconds. speakers produce high volumes using higher voltages (up to 70volts) unlike signals from guitar to pre or pre to amp which are less than 1.5volts usually.
  12. One small correction - you should always have the speaker going out when applying the battery with + to tip and - to ring. This is the standard, and whatever PA you are playing through should be using that standard as well.

If you end up out of phase with the PA, that can cause the same sorts of bass suction problems as having two stage cabs out of phase, except it will likely show up more as no bass out front.
  13. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Not all the time,,,,,Except for some JBL's... JBLs were reverse phase from other brands, moving IN... I have seen people not knowing that get poopy sound when doing a mix and match with a speaker other than JBL... that thin non focused out of phase sound..