Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar GS112 for slapping?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scottlee, Dec 17, 2003.

1. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    I am looking at getting 2 GS112 cabinets.
    Anyone who has these cabs, how do they sound for slapping - say compared to a 4X10 or my current cabinet, an Eden 210XLT?

Thanks

2. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Absolutely Slaptacular!

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Sorry, I just don't get it... Why would you slap a cabinet???:confused:

There are drums, you know.

:eek:

:bag:

4. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I prefer my pair of GS112's for slap over my Berg 322. :eek:

5. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I think that the GS112 is great for slap, but even better when paired with a 210 (or another GS112). This cab is excellent alone, but it just shines when paired up with itself or another cab. It really rounds out the low mids of a 210. I use a GS112 and a GS210...the sound is nothing short of incredible (and loud).

6. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    what would the punch of a 112 be like compared to a 210?

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    10" speakers will always be punchier. but 12" do a nice job too. heck you could slap with a 15", dont matter to me. all in the technique anywho.

8. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    good technique or bad technique I'd rather slap or hear others with at least 2 10's if not more

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    uh... then why'd you ask? oh, nevermind...

10. Hey jokerjkny!

Nice to see you hanging out with "the guys" rather than the little sisters over at the PRS forum.

:D

11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The GS112s are great for the slap sound. The tweeter can be a little hissy, but it does add to the top end sparkle. The lows are nice and focused, so it sounds great for slap. This isn't a thuddy cab. The cab naturally has some mids scooped, so if you're into the smiley face EQ sound, then this is the cab for you. In some ways, I prefer the sound of one 1x12 for slapping than two. Two will provide tons of bottom, but lacks a little in the mid without some generous EQ. On the downside, one doesn't produce much volume or lows as two.

But if you want more punch, then a 2x10 cab will may suit you better. There is something about a faster speaker and slap style that goes well together.

12. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    Thanks for all your opinions guys.

I have just placed my order for 2 GS112's. They won't be here till mid January (its a long way over the ocean to Australia!). I can't try them out first - no one stocks them in the shops yet so its a bit of a gamble but one I am willing to take :)

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe... sup, LB!

dont tell me you're an Aguilar guy? :bassist: oh, and great quote!

Scott,

trust me, you'll love 'em!

and if you're lookin' for a great sounding 2x10, dont forget to try out a set of Acme B2 2x10's. my fav.

14. Na...

I'm hangin in the garden of Eden. I'm just interested what these guys are saying.

15. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    Scott - Aguilar list Dominant Music in Victoria as their Australian agents. Couldn't they help you out?

I might also suggest Acme speakers. At least you'd be able to check them out if you came to Sydney. (No players up north - yet.)