1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar GS112 + GK 1001RB = Clarity, Punch, Growl?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve_man, May 13, 2011.

1. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Hey,

I currently own a Gallien Krueger 1001RBII. I love this head. I loved the 700RB I owned before this. Some people say sterile but I like the clarity and being able to cut through the mix.

I also own a 410RBH cab. And I have access to a 210 RBH.
    Both are excellent cabs but while the 410RBH has the lows but it is too much power for smaller venues and a bit of a back breaker at that (+++lbs). Also the 210RBH is a great punchy cab but I'm finding myself wanting a little more fundamental and a little less on the pronounced midrange.

So I'm making like goldie locks here and looking for something in the middle. Played through a few cabs and I like like the Aguilar GS112 but I haven't had a chance to run my 1001RB through it and no one carries them here in town.

Opinions on the GS112 + 1001RB (with 1 or 2 GS112's)?
    - How does the punch compare to the RBH cabs?
    - Does it still have a bite?
    - Is there any growl and how does it compare with the RBH cabs

2. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Also wondering if such a setup sound loose or tight.

3. dont know about the aggie 12's but owned the GK 412neo for a while (as well as my 2 410sbx+ stack) and I found that I really did not like 12's on stage, I found that I can REALLY hear myself on stage with my 1001rbii and the 410s (clear punchy) and the 412 sounded like mud. and since the direct signal was the only thing sent to the house, it was all about my stage sound so I kept the 410's and sold the 412. oh and my the way there is nothing sterile about a GK, that is BS that some tube lover put out. I get more creamy warmth out of my GK than I ever did out of my svtCL.

4. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I think they've warmed up the 2nd gen way over the 1st gen. I sometimes kinda miss some of the 1st gen tones.

The 410 RBH is overkill in a lot of cases so I won't be looking for even a 212. But the idea of 2x(112) have me. The cabinets aren't as big that way so I'm thinking it'll cut down on any boggy tones and make the speakers a little more responsive.

5. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    The rig that gets used most of the time is my GK 700RB-II into 2 Gk Neo 112 cabs. Very punchy. Very tight. I've run the same amp into 212 cabs and 410 cabs, and for whatever reason having 2 separate 112 cabs is it for me. I'm sure I don't have to say this... but... be careful with that amp into just a single 112 cab... it's more than capable of inflicting severe damage.

6. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I'm definitely going to be watching the volume knob and the 5 string button using the 1001RB. Won't need to worry about head room that's for sure.

Any Aguilar user comments?