Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar GS112. How loud?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Apr 18, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How loud and big gigs is one of those available to manage? I can´t afford two at the moment.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I have a single Aguilar 1x12. It sounds amazing, and I can use it by itself when I play with an improv jazz trio consisting of drums and generally clean guitar. That said--I'm having a second one shipped to me this week from BC to fill the sound and allow me to bang out some low Bs without too much flapping speaker.

I checked your profile, and noticed you mentioned the Clash, Bruce Springsteen, etc. I honestly don't think that a single 1x12 would be sufficient competing with loud rock drums, or distorto-guitar. Two would be fine, but one might not be loud enough.

Someone might have a different idea, but that's what my gut tells me.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nothing against the GS112 but one by itself was pretty useless for me, the difference in sound and projection between my Eden D210XLT and the Aggie was huge... almost as huge as the difference between one Aggie and two;)

Two is the way to go. Find a way.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dunno how this'll help ya, but just thought i'd share this:

out of all the high end 1x12's, Epifani, EA, Bergantino, the Aguilar was the lowest output. The EA had serious efficiency with the Epi in a close second, the Berg average, while the Aguilar was the lowest of all of them. also, at low volume, the Aguilar had a papery, 2D tone, that wasnt as nice to my ears as the others. at higher volume, tho, it was pretty oozy gooey with that trademark Aggie thick tone.

but like Brad said, 1 single 1x12 might not cut it for your needs. maybe two for a small club, but not one. you might wanna instead save up for an Aggie 2x10. My fav 2x10 at the moment. good low mid push with enough hi-end to cut thru.

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    one would be OK for very quiet gigs or maybe to mic for recording (that is what I did). But it wouldn't be loud enough for a rock gig. That's why I have 2 :D . Two of them (stacked) is very loud. I have to play with my amp voume at "1" so it doesn't blow away the rest of my band.
    They should be sold as a 2 pack.

(I got two 1x12s instead of one 2x12 for easy portability, you pay a little more for this, but my back says it is worth it).

-KB

6. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Like everyone else says . . . one is not loud, two are loud enough to kill a cat. They should definitely be sold as a two pack. I think 2 sound better than anything else out there . . .

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well, I have to think about this for a while. Here (Sweden) the GS112 goes for $500 plus shipping.

Why doesn´t Aguilar make a 112 without the tweeter (like Acme) if everyone is buying two? That would be great and I would save money.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the 1x12 is primarily a small kick butt do-all cab for the guy who has modest gigging needs. i doubt Aggie would do one without a tweeter, cause he's already got a kickin' 2x12 cab, if guys want a dual 1x12 sound.

9. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Your probably right. Sigh...

I saw Ryan´s consert here in Stockholm some weeks ago and it was amazing. He kept on going for more than three hours.:eek:
    And when they played Brown Sugar (by the Stones) I got goosebumps.:D

10. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I'd argue that a lot of people are looking at multiple small cabs over one larger cab, ie people buying 2 GS112s over the 2x12. I like the flexibility, the portability. If a lot of people only wanted one tweeter, it might make sense to make a 112 without the tweeter for use in the two pack, though I doubt it would be a ton cheaper.

11. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Does anyone here think it's a good idea to pair one GS112 with a different cabinet entirely, instead of just with another 112? I'm currently running a bi-amp rig with the low end going into an eden d210XLT and the high into an aguilar 112, and I get a pretty decent and loud sound. I don't have much use for the tweeter, though.
    I bought the 112 because I had to practice daily at a house just down the street and I got tired of lugging the eden around, but the aguilar is pretty weak even as a practice cab. When you guys talk about using two at once, do you mean running them in parallel out of a mono amp, or biamping them?
    Also, how do you all think a pair of aggie 112s compares to a pair of bag end 15"s?

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    When I had my single GS112 I did pair it with my D210XLT... because the one GS112 couldn't cut it alone. After having done that and then having he opportunity to try two GS112 cabs I preferred the sound of the Aggie/Aggie combo over the Aggie/Eden set. It's just a different sound and of course YMMV. I also tried the GS112 with my 115BX Yorkville cab that's loaded with an EVM Black Shadow cast frame 400w 15. None of these combinations sounded less than very good but in different ways.

The Aggies vs Bag End 15's is kind of an apples to oranges comparison. The Bag Ends sound like 15's, the Aggies don't. Compare the Aggie 1-15 to the Bag Ends. Depends entirely upon what sound you want.

I made my choice to go even smaller and I'm still smiling about it;)

13. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I agree that this cab needs to be pushed to really sound good. Maybe you need more than 200 watts into 8 ohms to make these cabs sing. My amp puts 450 watts into 8 ohms and this cab gets pretty loud and sounds fat- for something that weighs 40-some-odd pounds.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Depends on what you're used to. I pushed it with a decent amp and if you're used to the volume, depth and punch of a D210XLT... uh uh.

Two OTOH will easily outperform a D210XLT IMO.