Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar GS112 likes,dislikes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cb56, Aug 1, 2005.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Just curious about what you like or dislike about theses cabs. I own two and like them but I have noticed that they seem to have alot of low end when standing near them but the low end dissapears when you get about 15-20 feet away. Anyone else notice this? Maybe this is something that happens with all bass cabs I don't know.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I have two gs112s and they do the same thing IF IF you are standing towards the middle of a larger room. I've also used a 115 that has 208 in it too and the bass is a little heavier in roughly the same spot. with the 112s if I stand off to the side or near the rear corner of the room the bass is decent. BTW the room is about 30x40'

3. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    That is why I also use a GS410 with it. It sounds killer!

4. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    I have two too, and I like them a lot! I played 2 210XST's, but I didn't get the stage sound I wanted. With the GS112's I sound exactly the way I like on stage. Their off-axis response is also good.
    Having said that, I would agree that the GS112's do not project bass real well at longer distances. The 210XST on the other hand sound real good form a long distance.

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I don't have the problem with the dissappearing low end has much as not having mids that really cut from a distance. On the other hand, I really don't expect the projection out of the cabs as I do from others. I think with the aggie 112s they don't project as well as for instance, the aggie 212.

disklikes: sizzly tweeter (if turned up too much), mid shy

6. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    can someone explain to me why a ten would project bass better than a 12? A frequency wave is a frequency wave--if it's at a given pitch, it's going to behave the same regardless of where it originates. It's got to have the same amplityde, the same physical size, regardless..I mean, it;'s like the old garden hose experiment--if you flex a hose so it produces a wave of a gioven size, it's going to behave the same if your hand it the size of a child's or if it's the size of Shaquille O'Neal's

I like the rich "bass" sound of the aggie 112. I think its a little mid shy, and sometimes that doesn't work in a live setting. Sometimes it works really well

7. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Maybe I can't explain it. I have four GS112s, I play them two at a time. I was concerned initially about coverage, say across a wide stage...or in a deep room. I use an F-1X/PLX1602 for my stage rig and an SVT III Pro for my backup. My experience (six-piece original rock band) has been that they cover way better than I had expected...even outdoors without a backdrop. Being "old farts" we consciously try to dynamicly blend our sound, but even so, these little cabs have won many a kudo(is that a word?). Certainly not for everybody, but all that I could ask for.

Kim

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Coverage and cutting through are not problems as far as I'm concerned. It's the projection of the low end that I'm talking about. They are good and rumbley on stage but kind of just mids and highs out front. still sound good though. Of course I can compensate by adding some lows to the bass signal in the PA if I want. I have thought about getting two more of these but maybe that would be overkill. Two are plenty loud. I've got room on my stereo power amp to run another 4 ohm load so maybe 2 more or a 4 ohm 210 might do the trick.

9. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I recently changed from 2 Aggie 112's to a Bergantino EX/HX 12 stack. Much as I liked the Aggies (or at least I thought I did), the Bergantinos give me 100x more of the sound I have always been looking for.

10. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I really dislike how they have a pound or two of metal backed with a glob of rubber right in front of the cone.

[​IMG]

First thing I did with mine is tear that logo off. Other than that it's a high quality cab but too scooped for my taste. One day it will leave me.

11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'm using two GS112s for my house-band gig, and I'm liking them for their "lack of projection". I was using a 2x10 + 1x15 combo of cabs, and that set-up was way too boomy for the room. My two GS112s are working out perfectly!

woody357 likes this.
  12. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    What I hear in the aggie cabs is very similar to one of the presets on the avalon u5--a roll off below 40 hz and then a gently sloping but fairly deep mid cut starting at about 100 hz centered at just under 1 khz and leveling out around 10 khz. It's a very nice sound that comes across as a low midrange bump. That's what I think I hear--I could be wrong.

But I suppose if you got out farther, where the low frequencies really develop, you'd miss the below 40 content.

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    It the same size logo badge that's used on their 410's and 412 cabinets . . . not a problem on those because they clear the speakers, but I can see how that could bother someone with the small 1x12 cab. At least its easy to remove and doesn't leave a mark on the grill or screws exposed or something.

I really like Aggie cabs. I use two 410's for most gigs, sometimes just one, but I'd like to have a pair of 1x12's as well as the 412 fridge for certain venues. Someday . . . .

14. I sold my Bag End S15d to buy an Aggie 112 (I had heard them a few times and took the chance). The Aggie sounded pretty good with my SWR 210 but I didn't like the sound of it by itself as well as the 210 by itself, nor did I like the sound of it well enough to buy a 2nd one. A year later, the guy I had sold my Bag End to needed to get rid of it, so I bought it back and sold the Aggie. I had really wanted the Aggie to work out, but it just wasn't the cab for me.

As they say, YMMV.

15. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    +1