Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar gs112 or gs212?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassistGod, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Just wondering whether you would go with two seperate 112's or one 212.

2. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I have a pair of the GS112s. For me it was more of an issue of what I was willing to lug around. The two 112s are so easy to get around, I don't think I'll ever haul around another big box (4x10, 2x12 etc.) again.
    I don't think you could go wrong with either set up, but if you deal with lots of stairs, smaller car, etc. then 2 x 112 is the way to go. Just my two cents.

3. I agree with MJ. In the end it's more about portability than anything else... either way you're going to get good tone. So if you're young and have a good back, you could go either way. If you're graying a tich and/or don't have the best back you should probably stick with the 1x12.

4. I guess the choice is between paying less for the 212 or having the portability of two smaller cabs.

And since I'm young and poor, the 212 may be the way to go. That is unless the two 112's sound alot better than a 212.

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I used to have a 410. Now I have two 210's. A 410 is two much for a small gig and a 210 isn't enough for a big gig. Get the 2 112's and just take what you need.

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I have heard from a Agie dealer that two stacked GS112s will have a stronger, deeper low end than one GS212 (has something to do with the way they voiced the 212).

My guess is that the difference is relatively small, which leaves price vs. portability as the main considerations.

I would opt for portability, but that's just me.

Also, I very highly recommend listening to one or two GS112s together with a GS210. There is an amazing complementary synergy with these two models, very good bottom from the 12s and powerful punch from the 10s.

7. specs on both from aguilar's website:

2X12" Bass cabinet

Two 12" cast frame woofers, 56 oz. magnets
    Power handling: 600 watts
    Impedance: 4 or 8 ohms
    Phenolic tweeter with integral phase plug
    Custom crossover with variable tweeter control
    One Neutrik Speakon and two 1/4" inputs
    Frequency response: 41 Hz to 16 kHz
    Sensitivity: 103 dB @ 1W 1M
    Casters included
    Recessed deep-dish handles
    Interlocking corners
    Dimensions: 24"H x 22.50"W x 16.625"D
    7-ply, void free Philippine mahogany
    Weight: 70 lbs.

1X12" Bass cabinet

One 12" cast frame woofer, 56 oz. magnet
    Power handling: 300 watts
    Impedance: 8 ohms
    Phenolic tweeter with integral phase plug
    Custom crossover with variable tweeter control
    One Neutrik Speakon and two 1/4" inputs
    Frequency response: 42 Hz to 16 kHz
    Sensitivity: 102 dB @ 1W 1M
    Heavy-duty spring loaded handle
    Interlocking corners
    Dimensions: 14"H x 19"W x 18"D
    7-ply, void free Philippine mahogany
    Weight: 42 lbs.

spec-wise, the 212 goes 1 Hz lower and is 1 db louder in sensitivity.

does the 112 only come in 8 ohm?

8. Yep.. I'm using a GS210 with a GS212 and it sounds great.

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yep! [The GS112 and GS115 are both 8 Ohm only --thus far. Looks like the GS412 is 4 Ohm only.]

Also, there is a coupling factor (combined with 2x surface area) that comes into play using multiple cabs, IOW two GS112's will be stronger at <= 40Hz than one GS112.

10. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm going to replace my two EA CxL-110s, with two Aguilar 1x12s! ANyone want to buy some EAs!!!

11. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Before you do that try the CXL 112's. If you haven't already. Louder and deeper. But more money

12. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Rick
    Hmmmm...but would they sound good with a Trace all tube head(400watts)?

13. got another question.....

how would i wire 2 8 ohm gs112's to the amp?

is it one cable to each cab, or would i get more power from one cable to one cab, and a second cable from that cab to the second gs112?

14. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Running in series with a cable to one cab and then a cable from the first cab to the second will usually cut the ohms to both cabs by one half.

15. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I don't see why they wouldn't. Since EA is known for making a very transparent cab. What you put in is what comes out

16. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    All I've already tried my all tube Trace with my EA CxL-110s, and it sound so GOOOD! I think sometime down the road I will upgrade to two CxL-112s