Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar GS112 performs better than expected!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Discgraham, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Hey all,

Well I recently went through a gear change and I just bought my first Aguilar GS112. Played my first church gig with it today and I was more than impressed with the sound from this tiny cab. I'm running a crappy Crate PA4 head (120w @ 4) into it til I find the right head, but it still sounded great. I got so many compliments on how present my bass sounded and how the individual notes carried all the way back and filled the entire room. Now, the church was full of about 120 people and the hall is HUGE, but this speaker handled it no problem. I can't wait to put 300w+ through it and see what happens.

Anyways, the cab is excelent and handled low Cs all day, even thouth the amp sucked. But even with a sucky amp, these speakers sound great. Anyone who is looking at buying one of these, just do it!

By the way, I was comparing this to the Mesa 1x12, the Bag End s15x-d and an Epifani 1x10 and I took the Aggie home.

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    mesa makes a 1x12!! What's the model name?

3. The Powerhouse 1x12 (300w @ 8)

[​IMG]

Here's the link to the cab on Mesa's site.

4. By the way, in terms of tone I like, I'd rate the cabs thusly...

Aguilar GS112
    Epifani 1x10
    Mesa Powerhouse 112
    Bag End S15X-D

5. I've recently gone back to using my two GS112s instead of my Epi 110UL/112UL. The Aggies just make me smile while I'm playing. I found that the Epi's seem a bit thinner when I'm pushing them -- there's just too much grinding midrange. The GS112s seem to really throw the bass and sound fuller overall...IMHO, YMMV, etc.

The little Epi110UL does kick though...

6. I agree. When I went to try out cabs, I thought in the back of my mind that I was going to walk out with an Epifani. I'd heard so much good about them on here and I was pretty much convinced that they were the end all be all of cabs, but this wasn't the case for me. I could have just as easily walked away with the Epi 110UL. The Epi did rock, but there was a special mojo about the Aguilar that forced me to take it home. I'd still like to try some bigger Epi cabs when I get a chance, but I'm more than satisfied with my Aguilar. I'm just amazed at the volume and quality of sound that this cab puts out. That 103dB sensitivity must make all the difference. This cab is magic.

Oh, and about the Epi 110UL, you couldn't even do curls with them, they are so light. It's suprising. I went to pick one up and nearly threw it up to the ceiling!

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I just got a GS212. It's also fricken amazing! I am thrilled with it. I may eventually like to get a GS210 to toss on top, but for now, I'm REAL happy with the GS212!

8. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I've had four GS112s for about two years. I found the sound that I had been looking for in these little cabs and haven't second-guessed the purchase at all. I use a pair at a time...it's been all that I have needed, inside or out. The Thunderfunk matches better with one Aggie than any of the amps I had tried before...still, the magic is two of the little beasties. :)

Kim

9. Contrapuntal

Contrapuntal

Mar 1, 2004
    Toronto
    You'll love the cab even more when you get a bit more power going through it. And two are better than one! I'm playing my two Aggie 112s through a Yorkville XS800H that has so much headroom and the cabs handle the power with ease and sound fantastic.

What I like almost as much is that I can lift these darn things with so much ease. I had a Ampeg 210 and 115 before this and they were a pain in the aspirin to lug up stairs and into trunks.

10. Thanks for the input guys. I bought this cab with the full intention of buying another one down the road when I can justify the expense.

Thanks a lot for the head ideas. I'm really clueless when it comes to heads cause I've been a combo or PA guy all my life. All I know is that I want at least 300w and light weight. The PA head I'm using now sucks, but it only weighs about 15 lbs!

Any other head recommendations? I've got a pretty tight budget (under $400) right now, but the PA head is getting me buy for a little bit so I can save up for something worth while.

11. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I'd be keeping my eyes open for a used AMP BH-420 or Gibson 440(along with everybody else!). Light weight, great tone and loud!

Kim