Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar GS112 problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tightbidness, Aug 17, 2005.

1. I'm currently running a GK 800RB into an Aguilar GS112 and a GS112NT. Last week toward the end of rehearsal I noticed a crackling in my rig when I was playing. The crackle isn't terribly loud. It's most noticeable when a note is sustaining rather than on the attack, and it stops when I stop playing. Tonight I spent some time trying to locate the problem, and it seems to be coming from the GS112. It sounds like an electrical problem -- almost like a subtle version of the static/crackle you hear from a bum patch cable -- rather than a problem with the cone. Turning down the tweeter doesn't seem to remedy the problem.

I'm going to call Aguilar tomorrow, but does anyone have an idea what could cause this problem? I seem to remember someone having a similar problem awith a GS112 a while back but couldn't find anything with a search.

I have two rehearsals and a gig this weekend. Am I flirting with disaster if I continue to play through the speaker until next week?

Thanks,
    Seth

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    FWIW, the guys at Aguilar are top notch and most likely won't let you off the phone until you are satisfied....

Bump cause' I have a Aggie 112 that I love...

:)

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Did you drop the speaker? If so, it's possible the speaker frame could be separated. Otherwise, there's not much than can go wrong with the speaker. To me this sounds like a power amp problem. I had another amp that had done the same thing and the power amp had to be replaced...

4. Thanks guys. I love my Aggies as well NJL. I haven't dropped the speaker. It may very well be a problem with the amp. . . It could be related to one of the speaker outs from the amp and not the speaker as I originally assumed. I'm going to do some more troubleshooting on Friday. Thank you.