1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar GS112 vs fEARful F112 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChainGang70, Aug 14, 2017.

1. ChainGang70

ChainGang70 Supporting Member

May 19, 2016
    Has anyone compared an Aguilar GS112 to a fEARful F112. I assume the F112 is better, but I am wondering how much better. Also, how are the different and/or similar do they sound.

I own a GS112 or two, and I am wondering if it is worth the cost of upgrade. I play small to medium places where one GS is enough. The larger venues go through FOH with a GS as a monitor.

Looking for advise on the F112 from people who have used it. Apologies if this has been thoroughly covered already.

2. I owned two GS112s and played them for yrs. I've played an f112 several times. No comparison, the F cab blows away the Aggie. IMHO, BUT that said the GS is a voiced cab that has a signature sound. If you love it great. I loved mine when they came out but I grew tired of it after awhile. I prefer a more modern sound and the Aggie cabs are more old school sounding, not a bad thing.
    The F type cabs are more of a blank canvas, more like a studio monitor, you EQ in what you want to hear rather than getting what someone thinks it should sound like. Apples and oranges.
    The F can take a lot more power and it will cover more gigs than a single GS. Many gigs that would take 2gs to cover would be fine with a single F cab. I would buy the F every time.

svtb15, Ampslut, Ukiah Bass and 4 others like this.
  3. ChainGang70

ChainGang70 Supporting Member

May 19, 2016
    This is exactly what I was looking for. Someone with significant experience with both cabs. It confirms what I suspected.

Many thanks to you sir!!

svtb15 likes this.
  4. Not sure I'd call it "significant" but some experience nevertheless. So please take my opinions with a grain of salt. What I hear and what someone else hears are always going to be two different things. Perhaps someone will come along who has gigged both extensively.

5. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I own a pair of GS112's and love them. They just work perfectly for me. Both cabs with my AG 700 or Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 just kill with my G. Gould ggi6. One cab with either the Shuttle 9.2 or my Tone Hammer 500 sound fantastic with my Upton upright bass.

I have not tried the Fearful 112.

I do know from experience that chasing the latest new thing in amplification or basses can cause you to spend a lot of money and sometimes you end up back where you started. I sold my Shuttle amps after Genz Benz was shut down by Fender but ended up going back to them because, with a good tube, they give me the tone and enough power to keep me happy. I did give in and decide to try the AG 700 and am happy I did. It is another great choice but I am keeping the GB amps too.

alotabass and nateynate like this.
  6. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward!

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    we had a "shootout" between a variety of fearful cabs and similar style enclosures and the GS112 came very close to the fearful in many aspects. It didn't have the extreme booty found the 12/6 cube however.

Robo-slapping even 16ths on an open B string at 900 watts bridged?!!

It all depends on what you want- either one can get grandma up to dance but a good fearful can knock her down, as well!

7. nateynate

nateynate Gold Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Oxford, MS
    I am also considering the same type of setup. I currently run a fEARful 15/6 and ShuttleMax 9.2. It's sounds massive and just as good at low volume.

I'm wanting to scale down for smaller gigs (some upright gigs I don't even use an amp) where the 15/6 is too cumbersome. I plan to use the SM9.2 but have assembled a pedalboard with a Noble preamp, parametric eq, my wireless rig and tuner; plan to run that into efx return (at least to start with).

Looking for a smaller cab that can be used on most gigs that aren't big outdoor venues. The price turns me off on pieces like the Fearless 210. I haven't played an Aguilar but hear good things about them. I think the AccuGroove Tri110 or Tri112, the Fearless 112, etc are interesting. Just looking for an easier to move around cab.