Aguilar GS112 vs. Gallien Neo112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Sep 1, 2005.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How do these two cabs compare? Can one go louder, deeper, etc? Which one cuts better in a mix?
  2. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    the aggie has huge low end for a 12 but everyone seems to comment on how it lacks mids and gets a bit lost in the mix. nothing a good EQ cant cure though. the GK has lots of bottom but not as much as the aggie. the GK also has more mids and seems to be a bit more balance sounding then the aggie. so it depends on the vibe youre lookin for. im going with a GK neo 12 myself. :bassist:
  3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I own a GK Neo112, and I've tried the Aggie (albeit very briefly), and this is consistent with my impressions. I think the Aggie is a little more old-school, with a fatter bottom, while the GK leans slightly more to the crisp hi-fi end of the spectrum. But as mine has broken in, it's developed a gorgeous, smooth, balanced tone, and it can cut through the mix in a hard rock setting when pushed. I want a second one!
  4. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    your single GK neo 12 can cut thru in a hard rock band?! how much power are you pushing it with? and what kinda head is it?
  5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    The GK is definetly more aggresive sounding, more mids, less polite and less polish in the high end. Nice definition in the low end as well. Its a damn nice little cab. Using a bi-amp GK head yield more polish in the high end, using the internal passive cross-over yields a louder raspier horn. 2 of the GK's will battle with a pair of Aggies head to head.