Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar GS112 x2 vs. 4 ohm S410 S 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tightbidness, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Forgive me if this has been covered before. Searching didn't yield much info. Has anyone compared a 2x GS112 rig with the S 410 cabinet?

My current band requires a fair amount of volume to cut through the mix -- at least more than I've needed in the past. At the moment I'm running an Aguilar AG 500 through either a GS112 rig or a borrowed 4 ohm Mesa PowerHouse 1000. The PowerHouse has made me understand "pant flapping" that bassists discuss. The GS112s don't do that in quite the same way. While I love the GS112s I'm wondering if the S 410 will produce a fuller sound and more volume. The S 410 reviews here are favorable. Descriptions make the cab sound right up my alley, especially considering my new AG 500. Aguilar certainly seems to have designed the cab with club players like myself in mind.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the sound wont be fuller, IMHO, the GS112's will sound fuller.

BUT, the 10" speakers of the S410 will be punchier, faster, and more cutting than the 12".

IME, i just cant gig w/ anything other than 10" loaded cabs.

3. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Seth, the 112 will probably still sound deeper. I understand the S-series were designed for that rock-n-roll punch. I inquired about these cabs at Bestbassgear.com and was told that some folks have been pairing either the S210 or S410 (can't remember which) with a GS112. Check with those guys.

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have 2 GS112s and a GS410 that is a 4ohm cab. I like the 112s with the AG because it is very responsive and you get a lot of depth with the 112s and they are easier to carry. I like 410s for better punch, but I haven't really played with an s410 to give a good opinion about it.

5. A couple months ago I played an AG500 into a GS410 and GS210 stack at the local harvest festival with lots of musicians from all over the country playing at the local bar: 3 basses, 5 guitars, a steeler, two drummers, 3 keyboardists. I got to play with and listen to lots of different combinations. We had about 150 people on the dance floor and another 75 at tables. I have always played 15s for bass, but that was a very good rig with lots of volume. None of us playing bass had the volume over about 10 o'clock and we weren't going through the house PA. The average age of the crowd ws probably 50, so we weren't pile driving loud, but we were definitely loud enough. The steeler was playing through a blackface Twin Reverb with a 15" JBL and one of the guitarists was using a Vibroking. I would think you would put out more volume with the 410 and it might cut better. But I think you have a great rig right now.

6. Thanks for the responses. Definitely some food for thought. I guess part of me is envious of players who are able to play through 6x10 and 8x10 cabs. Even the Mesa cab with 4x10 and a 1x15 just sounds "big" for lack of a better word, even though I prefer the all Aguilar sound. Also my needs and tastes are changing. Depth is less important than the need to find a place in a dense mix of two vocalists, keys, guitar, bass, drums, and aux. percussion. In my first post I cited the need for volume, but really it's more a need to cut through. Ideally it would be nice to have both rigs.

Jason thanks for the referral. You answered another of my questions which is where to buy Aguilar now that Jack Read is no longer a dealer. Pickebass it's nice to see another AG 500 user. How do you like the head? And Joker thanks for recommending the AG in my earlier post.

7. Thanks Aaron. That is the size gig we're looking at. Anything larger than that around here the soundman will DI the bass. Even some of the smaller venues put bass in the house system. It is a great rig, and I'm grateful to have it. Darn GAS though.

8. BTW, my local shop has an S410 in stock. I haven't used it on a gig, but from playing it in the shop I would think that it would cut better than the GS series. I prefer bigger, rounder, warmer cabs, but the tuning of the S series might be what you are considering. It would still be hard for me to give up on those GS112s you have.....unless someone was offering Bergs cheaply.

9. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    What I like most about it is the weight... It is very light. Also very punchy. I was surprised at the power output. It really is a loud amp. I have a DB359 and the 680/728 combo and the sound is definitely different but the same vibe. I like the fact that it has a clean sound without being "hifi" (think SWR)

10. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I absolutely adore my AG500/GS112x2 rig for all kinds of reasons, not the least of which that it's so portable. The number one reason I dig it though is the sound, especially and most importantly out front. I am universally and without fail complimented on how my rig sounds out front, and let's not forget that how you sound to the audience is more important than what you're hearing on stage. Of course in a perfect world your sound would be perfect both on and off stage, but that perfection is rarely acheived, especially in clubs. Don't get me wrong, my GS112s sound fantastic on stage, it's just that 12s tend to be heard best at 20+ feet while 10s sound best closer in.

I have played the AG500 through the S410 (in store...never on a gig) and it sounded awesome...in typical Aguilar fashion. It compares very favorably to the GS410 (I used to gig with a DB750/GS210/GS410 rig :eek: ) but is much more portable.

Personally though, I far prefer the two 8 ohm GS112s than I would a single 4 ohm S410, even if somebody else was doing the shlepping. FWIW I would also prefer, if I were to go back to multiple 10s and again if somebody else is doing the moving, an 8 ohm S410 paired with an 8 ohm S210. The AG500 doesn't handle a 2 ohm load, so if you go with a single 4 ohm S410 you can't add another cab.

11. Hey Pickebass and Craig thanks. The AG 500 is indeed lightweight and portable. There's a cab at my practice space, so nowadays I show up to practice with the amp in one hand, a bass in the other, and cables and pedals in a backpack. One trip! I'm glad you both enjoy the AG 500. Craig I seem to recall that you were one of the first on TB to play the AG 500. I didn't know it was your amp of choice at the moment.

The S 410 is so tempting because several retailers are discounting them heavily. However I'm going to stick with the GS112 rig for the time being. Well at least until I get the chance to play through an S 410. This is one of the first times I've come away from a TB thread not wanting more or different gear but reminded me what a good thing I already have.:)

12. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Yup. And I even sold the DB750. :eek:

That's how much I dig the AG500. 32 lbs. lighter is a beautiful thing too. :D

13. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Thanks for this thread, Seth. I too was wondering whether I should add a second GS112 or opt for another route. I'm leaning towards another Aggie at this point. I run a WT550 and get lots of compliments on the tone as well. When I push it, the cab is capable of getting real aggressive. I bet 2 of 'em will give the audience their own "pant-flapping", if not me.

14. 500W into two GS112s and people will get a great bass sound throughout the room. As was mentioned, the stage tone might not be your thing, but the audience is getting a treat. I realized this when I heard other players through my rig.