1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar GS212/210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stingray_EB, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Hey

So Ive had my Mesa BB750/GS212 set up for quite a while now and over all im impressed by the sound. My only complaint would be that it is compressed sounding yet doesnt really have much punch to it.

Would adding a GS210 to my rig make a difference ? Also someone suggested I get an Aphex Punch Factory, as it is really good at cleaning up your tone as well as giving it that little bit punch.

Please no one tell me that the big block is a dirty amp and cant do clean because I know that, Im looking for more punch not a hi-fi tone.

Cheers guys.
    Stingray

2. bumpidy bump

3. no1 :( ?

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Greetings Stingray_EB.
    First off, I want to remind you that the GS210 is discontinued so it might be hard finding one.
    I have two GS112s that I use for my main rig and also one GS210 that I use by itself at church. I'm using a markbass LMII for an amp in both rigs.
    I have compared the two and can tell you that the GS210 is a bit punchier/cleaner sounding than my GS112 x 2 rig.
    I have thought about getting a GS212 to put under the GS210 and am sure that it would sound great, but since I am retiring from the band business and will only be playing in church, more gear is not something I need.
    So i guess what I'm saying is that if you like the sound of the GS212 and just want more snap to the tone and more volume, the GS210 should do the trick.
    Now if you are not happy with the mid scoop in the GS series you might want to check out Aguilar's DB series of speakers. I've never heard one but I've read that the have more midrange to the tone which should help with cutting through the mix. Plus they have the Aguilar quality. Good luck in your search and let use know how thingswork out for you.
    Here's some pics of my rig to inspire you:D
    fampic2008d.
    I usually use the 210 by itself. btw they are heavy for a 210. over 60 pounds. Not sure how many kilos that is.
    210112rig.

5. Thanks alot for all that info ! Id rather not have a big rig like that, but I mean I just cant help feel like Im loosing out. Im not getting lost in the mix at all, there is plenty of mids but its rather the thumpy punch I cant get no matter how I EQ the bass or the head. I was told to try the Aphex Punch factory. Any experience with that one ?

6. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Hey man, I play a mesa 4x12 powerhouse, and it certainly is not lacking in punch. My first amp I used was a solid state ampeg. It was pretty punchy, but a bit lacking tonewise. I eventually saved up for a GK 2001 and it is just what I wanted. Extremely punchy and completey rich in tonal capabilities. So, I would suggest it might be some other component in your rig/technique that limits the punchiness. Every mesa head I've played does have more of a bassy, warm sound. The mesa cab, however, has excellent punch in my opinion.

7. The last thing I want is to replace my amp. The thing Is Im sure theres a way of getting a warm bassy sound thats punchy ?