1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar GS212 Presence Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stingray_EB, May 4, 2010.

1. Hi,

I play regularly in a Blues and Classic Rock cover band with two rather loud guitarists. They arent too loud but could do to turn down a little. Either way I am running a Stingray into a Mesa Boogie BB750 and a 4ohm Aguilar GS212. I know the GS212 is known to have a bit of a mid scoop but I fugured the Stringray and the grittiness of the BB750 would make up for where the GS212 lacks.

It appears I was wrong. My E and A strings are loud, punchy and sit perfectly in the mix, however, as soon as I play anywhere on the neck on the D and G strings my sound gets completely lost. I have to turn way up which makes my E and A sound horrible.

I know Stingrays are known to have a bit of a volume balance issue concerning the D and G string but I have tried everything, bumping the mid and treble, raising the pickup beneath the high strings. Nothing.

Obviously it would seem like the answer is another cabinet. Which gets my GAS a little excited :hyper:

I open to alot of suggestions. I dont know whether to add to the 212, replace it or replace it and add to that?

Anybody have a similar problem?

2. kdog15

kdog15

May 31, 2008
    Baltimore
    I could be wrong but, you may need to adjust your pickup height the magnets may be choking out your D and G.

3. By choking do you mean too close to the strings? Sorry I havent heard that term before.

4. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Jul 14, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I think he means your pickups are not close enough to those two strings and that's why they're low output. I have a GS212 and I have no problems with string volume, but my pickups are setup close to my strings and i play with really low action.

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm thinking you need to turn up your mids a bit. Odd, I too have a GS212 and it does really nice for the mids... But I tend to run my EQ dead flat...

6. Your choice of string may also be contributing to your problems.

Paul

7. DR Hi-Beams? Somehow I think thats the last thing thats contributing to the problem. :meh:

8. hulchihulch

hulchihulch

Jan 20, 2007
    Richmond, VA.
    I promise you it's the mid scoop in the speakers... I'm playing a Stingray 5 and went through this as well with the GS 212. Change speaker cabs and you'll be fine... or just crank up your mids... a lot! :) Seriously, though... it's the cab.

9. Thats somewhat of a relief to know that its not something more serious, its the cheapest to resolve out of all the bigger problems it could be.

Out of curiosity what exactly did you do?

10. I had a GS-212 and I now currently have a GS-412 and to cure the lack of presence I have changed out 1 of the speakers in the 2x12 to a Eminence Delta 12B and 2 of the speakers in the GS-412 and it helps quite a bit but it still doesnt have the the same presence that my Eden xlt 2x10 and Trace 15 have together but It made the cab a keeper IMOP.
    My cabs have needed a 16 ohm speaker but you would probobaly need the 8ohm speaker which would be the Delta 12A
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390098378827&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

11. hulchihulch

hulchihulch

Jan 20, 2007
    Richmond, VA.
    I actually switched cabs... the wrong way first:p I bought a Schroeder 1212L because I was dying to be heard in the mix and everyone here said it was a mid-hump machine so I went for it... WAY too much mid for me... So now I was at the other end of the spectrum:D Now I'm playing through Epifani 10's... However, I must say that I'm touring with an Avatar 410 Neo and it is better than all my "high end" cabs combined. Clear as a bell and you don't mind it getting beaten up on the road because it's so inexpensive. I'm sold on Avatar for many reasons... but mainly for the workhorse element. It's very flat and amplifies your signal cleanly... even after months of road wear.

www.gillsandwings.com

I love bass!

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's the Stingray. Noted for weak G string, maybe D, too. Mine was like that until I sold it.

13. hulchihulch

hulchihulch

Jan 20, 2007
    Richmond, VA.
    :D love my G and D... but there you have it... I guess each problem is unique to each situation.

14. Considering a new cabinet, my band is booked to play an outdoor gig next month and Im dreading it because of the current situation.

I am thinking of a 410 ? But then Im worried about not having enough bottom end.

Argh I cant win lol

15. RoboChrist

RoboChrist Guest

Jul 8, 2009
    You won't fix the problem with amplification and it's not a string volume issue either. Stingrays are voiced with a huge dip in some very important upper bass frequencies that help thicken the tone on all the strings, not just the D and G. This is what gives you that lean grindy tone on the lower register...but the trade off is you notice the high strings completely disappearing onstage because of the lower mass and output.

I dealt with this problem by adjusting the pickup height to favour the high strings and by bumping up the mids on my amp.

16. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    I played one gig wih two GS212`s, didn`t cut through at all. I was tweaking the eq all the time. 410 is the way to go:)

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'd go with the DB 412, or a pair of Genz benz Uber 212's. A 410 may vey well do it for you, (and no worries on the low end, that's not a function of driver size anyway), but I'd be looking for a 410 in a pretty BIG box.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's the bass. I had the same problem with my Stingray, which I sold.

19. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    I should make a pact with myself to never again put up a post on TB defending the ability of the GS 212 to cut through the mix. My GS 212 has no such problems. Sorry about yours. But come to think of it, all my basses have excellent string to string balance. :)

M. M.

20. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Are you sure it's not the guitarist amp playing frequencies and volume that are cutting out certain of your notes audible frequencies?
    I find that happens when the guitar is too loud.

plus the other problems mentioned.....???????