Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar GS212?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by munch62, Sep 23, 2004.

1. munch62

munch62

Jul 15, 2004
    Ohio
    Has anyone used Aguilar's GS212 cabinet?

-Jeff

2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  3. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    I tried one in a store. The tone was very nice, and it had a solid low end. But, it did not hold the low end at much volume. I ended up buying a Genz-Benz NEOX212 because it was capable of considerably more volume without distortion, and was very smooth and tight with tons of low end. I play a five and wanted something that would hold that low B well.

4. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I have a stack of two GS 212's that I will be gigging together for the first time on Saturday night. I started with one 212 and an Eden 410XLT, and the Aggie sounded so much better, I decided to get rid of the Eden and get another Aguilar. If nothing else, the Aggie weighs 30 lbs less than the Eden and when you're old like me, it makes a difference. It will be a festival setting (about 3000 people) and I'll be running a Demeter pre and a Stewart 1.6 amp. I'll let you know how it goes.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I tried one and compared it with a 2x10 (with a 1x15 for low end) and found the 2x12 didn't have the growl of the 2x10.

6. hb74

hb74

Feb 21, 2003
    Italy - Lecco
    Sure, but with 2x12 you didn't need a 1x15 :)
    The only complaint with my Aggie 2x12 is that I've got to tweak with the EQ to get aggressive mid freq. I can agree with people who's saying that Aggie '12 are mid scooped, but this is not a problem until you're in heavy stuff (IMHO).

H_B

7. I love my GS212. I did use it as a stand alone cab for awhile, had to tweak the eq for some midrange...but it was useable. I like this cab best with a 2x10. I'm still debating on trading/selling my GS212, it hasn't seen much use lately. But it's one of those situations where i don't want to "give" it away. I like it enough to keep it around.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Perhaps, but I still got better lows out of the 1x15.:)

9. hb74

hb74

Feb 21, 2003
    Italy - Lecco
    No doubt...I was trying to say that 2x12 can cover a lot of ferq. and can be used as a standalone cab (as I do).

H_B

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Oh...and I don't doubt it, one bit. In fact, I'd say for some sounds, the 2x12 might be the ideal cab. I, however, tend to like the growliness of a 2x10 and the lows of a 1x15.

Of course nothing beats my Epi 4x10 UL.:p