Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar GS410 for Rock?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shmedly, Jun 9, 2002.

1. What does everyone think about the Aguilar GS410 for loud, aggressive rock music? My head is an Aguilar DB359 (soon to be a 750!) with a Fender Precision Deluxe and an Epifani 2x12. I want to add a 410 to the mix. I a/b'ed the Eden 410xlt vs. the Aggie and I much preferred the sound of the Aggie but I'm concerned it won't cut through in a loud rock setting. Sometimes, stuff that sounds good solo doesn't cut through. Any opinions?

2. Well, I play exactly that kind of stuff, and the Aggie cuts through fine, as I recall. It won't be quite as loud as your Epi, though--I think the efficiencies are 103dB/w/m vs. 99dB/w/m. I went from the GS410 to the Epi 2x12 myself, since the Epi was smaller, lighter, and louder than the Aggie. If I were going to haul two cabs around, I'd probably go for a second Epi 2x12. The GS410 is a fine cabinet, but I'm not crazy about hauling around 90+ pound units anymore. Must be getting old. :)

Mike

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    same here. another 2x12 should remedy your situation without breakin' yer back.

4. The 212 epifani's are great amp's but are you looking for the 410 punch? There is a much punchier sound from the 410 that might help to cut through.

5. I don't think you can generalize--all 4x10's are not created equal! :)

Mike

6. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think the Aguilar would work great. Although I like 12s (I have the Aguilar 2x12) I think 12s with 10s are very cool. As long as you don't mind the weight I think the 10s with the 12s would be killer. You might even consider the GS210, b/c I don't know how 2 12s and 2 10s together wouldn't be loud enough. Some day I'm going to add a GS210 to my GS212.

7. I stand corrected. Actually, the Aguilar site currently lists the sensitivity for the GS410 at 104dB/w/m. I could swear I remember it being like 99dB when I checked the specs right before I got the cabinet (used) last year, but that's not what it says now. Still, the Epi seemed louder to me--could be psychological, though, since I didn't have them at the same time.

Mike

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    The GS410 is no slouch in the volume department. The cab is very efficient. Possibly the only reason the Epi sounded louder was because it's reproduction is quite a bit clearer. The Epi seems to be much more along the lines of the Euphonic Audio cab whereas the Aguilar is more toward the warmer, old school side and more forgiving.

9. Using the GS410 with a really aggressive-sounding head like a Trace Elliot or my Fafner is just short of tonal nirvana. I bet the 359/GS410 combination is pretty grindy, too.