Aguilar GS410 not loud enough? with Eden WT800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by popawheelie, May 24, 2004.

1. popawheelie

Apr 14, 2004
    I finally got my rig together. An Eden WT800 and a Aguilar GS410 8ohm cab. I use a 4 string Warwick Corvette Standard tuned at C#G#C#F#.

I went to rehersal last night to try the new rig and it did not seem that the GS410 could get loud enough. I was bridging the wt800 at 8ohm's into the cab, but the cab was farting out. I had the eq set pretty much flat with the exception of a little boost on the highs and the lows turned down a bit (only to compensate for the speaker farts). I am competing with two Marshall half stacks that play pretty damn loud, but I would have thought the GS410 could handle.

I played the WT800 one side at 400 watts through a Mesa Boogie 4ohm 810 cab and it got alot louder without farting out.

Does anybody know what the deal is?
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    presumably its because you were putting 800 watts into a 700 watt cab?

No wonder it wasfarting out. Depending on how harsh your attack is, i'd be suprised if you didnt do a whole load of voice coil damage too.
  3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    yeah, what he said. My WT800 gets way to loud into one of my 4ohm 410XLT's using one of the 400 watts channels. I have never tried to bridge it into an 8ohm cabinet because I didn't have the need. Try just running it with one of the channels running standard and see what that does.
  4. popawheelie

Apr 14, 2004
    I actually tried just hooking one side of the amp to the cab which is only running half power and it was still farting out. Maybe the cab was bad to begin with. I bought it used and I did not get to try it out at a loud volume when I bought it. The cab appeared to be in mint condition. I cant imagine that I was running all 800 watts into the cab because my gain and my volume were set at around 12:00 when it would fart out.
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've yet to see a 4x10 that can compete with a guitarists 4x12, let alone 2 of them. You need more speakers.

The 8x10 SHOULD be louder than the 4x10, it's gotr twice as many drivers. You'd need a second 4x10 cab before you could start making that comparison.
  6. BassDemon

May 18, 2004
    I think the issue is speaker area

two 4x10 cabs get pretty loud.

The problem is 4x12 guitar cabs get louder.

a quick, easy and almost free method of getting more volume from your cab - point the speakers at your ears.

a 4x10 is about 2 feet off the ground. Your ears are somewhere over 5 feet off the ground.
    Even if you are a really short bass player you'll find most of your sound is going straight to your knees.

Get the cab up off the ground, stick it on a chair (or two) or maybe a sturdy box.

I have a 1x18, 4x10 and 1x15 stack. The 1x15 goes on top and points straight at my head. I hear everything I play very clearly over two full stacks (each guit player has two 4x12 cabs and a stereo poweramp)
    If I put the cabs side by side on the ground I can't hear what I'm playing
  7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I run my 800 at 2 o'clock Gain and 9 o'clock Master into two 410XLT's and I have gain for days. I can easily blow away my guitar player. Something is hookey with your setup somewhere. You said the head sounded good on an 810. I would run something else through the Aguilar to see if that is it. Process of elimination at this point. You don't have any pedals do you?
  8. popawheelie

Apr 14, 2004
    Only pedal I use is a Boss TU2 tuner. You said your 410xlt 4 ohm cab into one side gets very loud. I don't know why an 8ohm cab with full power wouldn't get louder. Maybe our versions of loud are different.
  9. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    If it's a 4x12 slant cab this would make sense, since the upper speakers are directed right at your ears. Remember, you're going to need at least 4 times the power and as much or more surface area. A 4x12 has a lot more surface area than a 4x10; you'd nead either 2 4x10s or a 4x10 and a 1x15 to properly match up.
  10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Gentlemen, respectfully, I say NONSENSE!

I put 1500 watts into an Aguilar 410, and it sings, doesn't fart, and competes favorably with an overly loud guitarist playing a Marshall stack, as well as a drummer beating as loud as humanly possible. The more watts, the better.

I suspect that perhaps you are not getting full bridged power from your amp, are you sure you have it wired correctly for bridged output?
  11. :D

Yet another typical example of guitar players who are only interested in hearing themselves. Soon you (and your ears) will grow tired of this, and you will find guitar players who are not only interested in playing, but they will be interested in musical balance. Then, your WT800 and GS410 will sound like love, and be plenty loud.

Best of luck, sorry you are going through this loud guitar problem. The amount of bass amp / cab that you would need to 'compete' with them, is likely unrealistic and ridiculous to pack around (unless you have roadies :D ).
  12. P.S.

In the mean time, please resist the temptation to destroy your ears and your nice equipment in the attempt to compete with them. It is not worth it.
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Don't forget to turn your balance knob all the way to the left. I don't know why, but you have to do that in bridge mode to get full power. I play my WT-800 into the D-410XLT just like that all the time, with noon on the pre and noon on the volume, and I get plenty of volume.