Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar GS410 or Epifani 410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazz5757, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Ok, so I was lucky enough to go to the NAMM show and I found my dream rig (and bass). Anyway, I fell in love with the Aguilar DB750 amp, which I played through the GS410 cab. I found a sweet deal on the DB750 and I SHOULD get the GS410, but that 98lb. cab is giving me second thoughts. It may be the nature of the beast with 410 cabs....that is, until I learned about the new "ultralite" cabs from Epifani....about half the weight, but very pricey (I can get a new GS410 for about $800.00, but the Epifani is almost $1150.00, about a grand for the 310). Should I just deal with the weight factor and get the GS410 (and save some $$$)? Can anyone compare the Epifani to the Aguilar for me? I could get 2 of the Aguilar 210's, but that would be about $1200....no easy or cheap way out here. any thoughts, suggestions are appreciated.

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I think if you really like the way the Aguilar cabinets sound, but you're worried about the weight of the 410, you should just go with the 2 GS210s...I haven't had a chance to try any Epifani cabinets, but from what I have heard they have a different sound than the Aggie stuff.

3. Your probably right on that assessment. Fact is, I KNOW how the Aggie sounds and I love it, so the best I can hope for is a break even. Pricewise though, I can buy a new 410 AND a 112 for the price of 2 210's. Technically, I could just store the 410 in my garage between weekend gigs and leave the 112 down in my basement practice area....part of this is about convenience.

4. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    what kind of gigs do you do? will u always need a 4x10?

if not, i wouldn't go that route...

i love love love the GS410, but it's dang heavy unless you have a buddy to help.

5. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I have the DB750, and went from using 2 Epifani 310s to my current "rig of doom", which is the DB750 with a GS410 and a GS210, and my "mini rig of doom" which is the 750 with 2 GS112s.

Although there is no doubt the Epifanis are tremendous cabs, I have not regretted for a nanosecond switching to the Aggie cabs. To me, the Aggies say "Bass", whereas the Epis say "Audiophile", if you can dig.

If portability is the issue, I'd go with two GS112s. For the same $800 you'd pay for a single GS410 (note: you would have to get the 4 ohm version to get 750 watts out of the DB750), you can have two 40 lb. 8 ohm cabs that will give you your 4 ohm load and they can easily be carried, one in each hand.

But be for-warned, if you tend to stand real close to your rig by either habit or necessity, you won't hear the 12s as loud as the audience will, and you won't believe it when folks tell you you're too loud out front. The 10s on the other hand, sound just as good standing on top of them as they do out front.

6. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    I've never tried the Aggie cab (although I owned a DB750 at one time)but I own an Epifani Ultralite 4x10 and a 1x15 and I love 'em. I highly recommend these cabs.

7. My band plays everything from Faith Hill to Zeppelin. Honestly though, I normally play with one Eden 210XLT and that's enough....I add my 118XL for the outdoor stuff, but then I'm also going through the PA for that, and that's about 5-10% of what we're doing. So 2 112 Aggies really sound that great? I just need to be sure that the sound I heard with the 410 will be in the same league with that combination----though, you guys who really know seem quite confident about that fact----I DO want my cab to say "BASS"---that's for sure.....that's also why I just sold my MTD 535 and have ordered the very same Elrick 5 that I played through the Aguilar stuff at NAMM.

8. My band plays everything from Faith Hill to Zeppelin. Honestly though, I normally play with one Eden 210XLT and that's enough....I add my 118XL for the outdoor stuff, but then I'm also going through the PA for that, and that's about 5-10% of what we're doing. So 2 112 Aggies really sound that great? I just need to be sure that the sound I heard with the 410 will be in the same league with that combination----though, you guys who really know seem quite confident about that fact----I DO want my cab to say "BASS"---that's for sure.....that's also why I just sold my MTD 535 and have ordered the very same Elrick 5 that I played through the Aguilar stuff at NAMM.

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Apparently, I know of at least six or seven people here that use pairs of GS112s. There's obviously something special about that combination :)

10. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    do you look at just getting an eden XST? that says bass like no other cab.

11. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 2 sets of GS112's are a different sound than the GS410 sound, but both sound great. I own Wally's old GS410 (I still owe you for such a great deal) and I own a brand new pair of GS112's (for portability). This is a great combination of cabs to have. I'd advise you to look at a pair of GS112's because they can get super loud and are tonally breathtaking. Try em out. Tons of people swear by this combination and I can further attest to their greatness. Hope this helps.

-P

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    couldnt agree more with everything all packed up in a nutshell and presented by the Funk. the man knows wassup.

:bassist:

like he said, if portability is an issue, the 1x12 pair would rock you.

tonally speaking and to put it bluntly, my take on the various 4x10's is that the Aguilar's are literally like a cross of the Eden's and the Epi's. the aggies have some nice air and detail like the Epi's, but not quite. and then, they also have a bump in the low mids like the Eden's, but not quite. again, the aggies are somewhere in the middle of the two.

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The 12s are not as fast as 10s. I love my gs12 but I almost hurt my hands trying to play as fast as 10s. Not fusion speed just quick articulation on rock,funk or world tunes. I do not slap and pop.I use my GS112 for upright where the bloom is slow so it's okay. So play then and see.

14. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Don't know what I was thinkin' yesterday, but today I realize there's no such word "for-warned"...duh. Of course I meant forewarned . I know that was bugging everyone. Sorry.

Well put chadds. If we could afford a full-time roadie, I'd use the 210/410 rig on every gig.

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The Epi's horn is sweeter than the Ag's, if that's important to you.

If you are leaning toward the Ag's and want portability without expense, consider getting one GS210 (new or used) and one GS112 (new or used).

I am a definite fan of the punch of 10"ers in the mid-bass and the power of a 12" in the lower bass. I heard this combination running a DB750 into them...sounds really good.

Give this setup a listen and see if you like.

16. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    that's a pretty good idea.

17. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Or if you have the money you could get a GS210/GS212 rig like I'm planning to do, or a GS210 and two GS112s if you want something more portable :)

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What the heck, to throw an Epi spin on things, I just picked up a second T-112, and let me tell you that two T-112's and a T-110UL are the cat's meow! I just got done A/B/C-ing said Epi stack versus my two VL-210B's and my three VL-208's, trying to decide which stack to take to our gig tomorrow night, and where in the past, when I only had one T-112 and the T-110UL, I felt that the EA rigs had significantly more mids. Now, I feel like the Epi rig is much closer in the midrange (the second T-112 I added was the older, narrower model, which has stronger mids), while at the same time going deeper and having much sweeter high end.

I'm not getting rid of my EA's, but I was very impressed with the T-112/T-112/T-110UL setup. Lots of booty, with incredible articulation.

Note, I have not tried any Aggie cabs, though. There are merely my observations of Epi gear.

Later, Tom.

19. Geeeez....this is getting confusing. I KNOW I love the sound of the GS410, but i like the idea of 2 112's, but my perception is that 12's just don't sound as good for bass....now that flies in the face of those of you who certainly know better....I just want to hear the DB750 do what it does best. The comment about not getting to hear the 12's as well onstage is a bit disturbing...I feed off that gutsy thump i feel in my chest and don't want to lose that at all. To add another twist, I just sold my 535 and am awaiting the arrival of a new Elrick 5....any of you Elrick players care to comment of the Aggie/Epi comparison?

20. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I think you should just buy the GS410 and scratch that itch. Just keep that Eden around for the times when you just can't muster the resolve to carry it.