Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar GS410 vs. GS412

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Call, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey everyone,

I called up one of the "local" music stores and checked on the 412 cabs, and found out that I can get an amazing deal on one. I'm just wondering how the 412 compares to a 410. From what I've heard, the 12's cut through a lot better. Is this true? If I can get one for really cheap, should I?

Really, I just want to see what people think of the GS412s in general.

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    A lot of that will depend on whether you like the sound of 12s over 10s. Best to try them both with your head to see what you think. If you don't like the sound of 12s it's not a good deal.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Interesting... I'd say I've heard close to the opposite. :)

My GS212 cuts through alright, but I usually boost the mids on my preamp quite a bit so that helps. I've heard that adding a GS210 would help cut through better, but I haven't really felt the need to buy one yet.

4. With a 412, the question is : Will my bandmates go through?:D
    I tried once the GS412 it is a killer cab, bloody heavy, but huge low end and punchy definite sound.

5. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd like to revive this baby. I currently play with two GS410's and I love it, however i'd like to hear what my rig sounds like with a GS412 or two GS412's, like Matt Rubano from Taking Back Sunday.

Anyone care to share their experience?

6. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    You will definetly be heard with the GS 412. As for cutting through better, I have an Aggie S 210 on top to help out a little. The 412 sounds really good by itself, but I prefer the tens to help out on the high mids. I would have to say that tens cut through alot better. If you want alot of thundering low end then the 412 is for you. You could always add a 210 or 410 later if you want.

7. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Maybe that's my next investment. One gs412 in the middle and two gs410's on the sides. ::evil laugh:: :eek:

8. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    You use a GS412 with an S210 on top? That sounds crazy... Got any pics of it? :D

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    to me, if you want the aggie cabs that "cut through" the best, go with the s series 4x10 and/or 2x10. the GS series (tens and twelves) all sound mid scooped to me. The S series seem to have a lot more mids. i think they're awesome cabs.

10. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Maybe I'll just get two of the S810's when they come out. ::even more evil laugh:: :help:

11. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I have not taken any pics yet. This rig is at the practice space so I never think of it.

12. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Really? Have you found it to be a very big difference? Or is it nothing that a little EQing can't fix? :)

Would you say that the GS-series 10's have more midrange than the GS-series 12's?

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the gs 10 cabs have more mids than the 12 cabs but all of the gs series are a littel mid shy IMO

the s series are very reminiscent of the original SWR cabs but are a step above them IMO
    very nice cabs indeed

but you have to try them for yourself

14. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Wish I could... there's only one Aguilar dealer within 200 miles of me, and I own more Aguilar gear than they do. :D

According to the inventory page on their website, they don't have any of the S-series cabs, and I kind of doubt that any other stores up here have them yet either. *shrug* :)

I'm finding my GS212 to be just a little lacking in the mids department, but not too much. I think maybe I'll just stick with my original plan of buying a GS210 to go with it.

15. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I like big low end, but i also like to add some low mid punch for slap. Would the gs412 be good for the low mid sort of growl/punch. I don't know why, but i usually tend to keep my 'punch' pot (or high mids) on my warwick head below 12 o'clock, yet get the punch i'm looking for (with low mids put up). Or do you think a big box shroeder would be better suited? (If you've tried one, as people say they emphasize low mids, but what about general low end?). If you didn't read my other thread, i'm looking at either a gs412 or schroeder big box (21012 most likely) for an old school rock band, kinda zeppelin/sabbath, but not. I don't need to cut through that much often, as it's mainly about big low end, yet i have a few slap breaks where i need to cut through 2 distorted guitar stacks, and at the moment with 2x10/1x15, it's just not happening..

16. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I really think that you need an 8-10---- to really cop Geezer's girth. Maybe 2 of the Schroeders(never heard them), but a sealed 10s box really punches!! The trick is to get enough of them so you get group coupling for that wall of bass sound. That's the ticket!!!

17. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    To my ears, 12's have a natural smooth type growl to them. That is why I like them so much. As for punch, don't get me wrong, there is plenty of punch to the GS 412, just not quite as defined as a cab with tens might be. I was totally satified with just the 412, but I play in a very loud band. I put the S 210 on top so I had some speakers ar ear level so I hear myself better without knocking down the house. :D

As stated before in this thread, 12's are not for everyone. You would have to hear them to know for sure if they are for you.

18. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I was thinking of an 8x10.. But i would rather something smaller. I'm pretty sure if i got the aggy, i'd end up adding some 10's on it one day, most likely 2. (Which i know makes it just as big, but it's more portable still).

19. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Could you tell me what sort of style your band is, other than loud? And apart from the growl, can you get a nice crunch at all from your 412? I'm thinking Justin Chancellor type crunch on aenima (ie. Hooker with a penis), with certain effects etc.