Aguilar GS412 or S810?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afroman, Jul 20, 2005.

1. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I need some help. I own an Aguilar GS410 and 2 GS112s. I'm gonna buy a DB750 very soon and I want to get a great big cab to go with it. I have roadies so the size/weight is not so much of an issue, but the lighter the better. I'm gonna get them at a very good price, so forget about the money difference between the cabs. I'm thinking of selling either my 2 GS112s or my GS410, and buy a big cab for large shows. I love the punchyness of 10" speakers and also love the GS112s' warm bottom end. Here's the problem. I like the pair of GS112s but I do find them to be mid-scooped; not so with the 410. The GS412 is very very very tempting, but I'm a little bit scared about it not having the mids I like to cut through a loud drummer and 2 Marshall half-stacks. The 810 would be my obvious choice, cause I just love 810s. But I dont know if the sound quality will be as good as the GS series; and its also 15lbs heavier than the GS412 (not that it matters that much but it does). An obvious choice would be to get a GS212 and pair it with the 410 and have the best of both worlds, but that would be too heavy and I'd really like to have one big, punchy, warm cab to go with the DB750 and keep one of my current cabs for smaller setups.

I use a Stingray 5, Lakland 55-01 and Fender Geddy Lee jazz bass. I like punchy, punchy midrange, warm and tight bass and not too much treble, just smooth highs.

Any help is welcome. I've read all the reviews from Bass PLayer,, Harmony Central and TalkBass, but I didn't find a direct comparison between these two.

Please help.
    Thanks in advance...
  2. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Why not keep the cabs you have now? It seems like you want a mix of 12's and 10's.. Which is what you have. Just use them all at the big gigs.

I think that's a really good combo, you have the punch of the 10's, and richness and round, warm lows of the 12's.
  3. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I know you dont want to hear it, but it sounds like your really looking for a combination of the two. The GS212 might be your best route for tone, because you would get a balance between the two.

If you really dont want that, then I'd suggest the GS412. With slight EQ adjustments, I bet you could get it to cut like you want. I've never heard the S810, but it seems like a possibility that it wouldnt give you the low end you want, even if it did cut through.
  4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I agree. No other Aguilar cab sounds like the GS410. Get rid of it and lost that tone. I'd get either a 212 or another 410 and just bring one to smaller gigs. Seriously--don't lose the 410 if you want to hold onto your mids.
  5. zoran

May 10, 2002

Get another 410. You won't be dissapointed...
  6. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks guys for all the help. I really get what you say about keeping my cabs. I really dont want to use my 2 GS112 live anymore for big shows. It's an strange setup (410 on top of 2 112) altough it does sound good. I really need to get cases for my cabs cause the roadies, well you know, they dont care as much as they should for the gear. Even so, they get dirty and damaged if not protected. Having one big cab would be great cause for me, I wouldn't have to buy the cases that soon; they being so much more tough and big cabs. But eventually I'd end up with the same problem; cases for that big cab too.

Im really thinking of getting either another 410 or a 212. I liked the 212 idea, but some reviews say that people prefer to have 2 112s. I'll probably keep my 112s for practice or small setups if I need to. I'm really gonna have to think about it. I love my GS410 and having another one would probably sound INSANE!!!, but maybe a single 212 to go with it can complement the punch of the 410, and give me a great sounding and reasonably light (70lbs) cab.

Thanks a lot for your help. It was really what I needed. Any more comments are welcome.

Peace.... :rolleyes:
  7. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I play with an S410 and I like it a great deal (and I'm picky). Very warm, a bit mid shy, but not as much as a GS212 I compared it to. I and my bandmates definitely prefer it to the Eden 410xlt I used to use, and I love the smaller size/lighter weight. I think adding an S410 to a GS410 would be killer...

Edit: I have heard great things about the GS112, but I've never played one.

8. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I use 2 GS410's. I love em. I like the Aguilar 10's much more than than the 12's. I'd say get another GS410 or get a S810 for larger gigs and keep the other sets for smaller and medium sized gigs.
  9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Do you have to get an Aguilar cab?

10. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    One cabinet solution: Schroeder 310212....punchy, booty, tremendous capacity, not "light", but what cab with 5,6, or 8 speakers is, right. Not that pricey. Will definitely kick yo butt!!

Two cabinet solution: Schroeder 1210+410....same description as above, 1 12 and 5 10's total, much more focused and cut through than Eden, Aguilar, or SWR 410 cabs, nicer sounding tweeter, giving you the flexibility of a single 47 pound cab, or a 78 pound cab, or 125 total weight depending on the venue.

I've owned the 112 aguilar and have heard several local bassists with the 212 and for my taste, they do not cut through the mix nearly as much as the Schroeders. The negatives of the Schroeder is I feel you better be good and someone with decent technique because you're gonna be heard much more clearly by your bandmates and the audience than you're used to.

Have fun's great to now have different choices.

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Like Larry said.
    I think the Aggie DB750 with the Schroeder 310212 would be un-flippin-believable. If you want it in chunks for "sizability," then 1210, and 21012.

Dang, I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about that!
  12. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    It has to be an Aguilar cab. I've read great things about the Schroeder cabs but they are not an alternative at this time. Besides, I really love how Aguilar cabs sound. Thanks for all your replies and help guys. I'm gonna get the DB750 and try them woth my own cabs to see what I decide to go with.

13. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Im gonna get the DB750 and try it out with my GS410 and my 2 GS112 to see what kind of speakers I like most, or if I like the commbination of the two. Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know what I decide.