Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Sorry to bug y'all, but I have G.A.S. for and aguilar amp and still have many questions before spending enough cash to buy a small country.

I've been asking about the DB750. I notice they float around used a bunch. I even see one for sale in the forum that was bought from another talkbasser here. If this amp is so great, why such a turnaround on these things?

Also, another route I could take is the DB359. All tube 200 watts. Is this enough power? I curently use an eden navigator/mackie 1400 into a combination of ampeg bxt210m,euphonic audio vl-210, ampeg svt15e, and a hartke 2.5xl. But I generally only use the 210m and the 15, or the vl210 adn the ampeg 210m. 200 watts just doesn't seem like much.
    I have no way in a 100mile radius of trying any aguilar gear out, so that is not an option. (i live in the armpit of michigan)

2. 200 tube watts sounds & FEELS more like 400w of SS. :rolleyes:
    The DB has HUGE transformers to store that power & release it when you need it ! ;)
    However tube amps don't respond as fast as SS. :crying:
    They FEEL different........ :meh: .........
    It's a personal thing............you may like it....or not !
    I like 'em !!!!!!!!! :D

JJ

3. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    If you want to satiate the Aguilar craving, but still want some bite, find a good used DB 680 preamp, and pair it with a QSC power amp. This recipe is similar to a DB 750, but with more EQ options via the 680's expansive tone shaping.

4. I'm looking to get sway from all the knobs and switches I currently have on my eden. expansive tone shaping usually means tons of knobs and dials. THanks for the input though! :)

5. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    then i would look towards aguilar's 659 preamp, its a different beast than the 680, or th 750, but it still has the aguilar sound without all the buttons, a gain and master volume, trebel mid and bass, with a bright and bass switch.

http://www.aguilaramp.com/html/products/db659.html

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the 659 is the same preamp that is in the 359 and 750, although there are some minor internal differences including more tubes in the 750 and 359. That said, they all sounded similar to my ears. The 680 sounds very different, and you don't need to use all of the knobs. My favorite is the 750 due to the huge amount of power that thing kicks out, not just in specs, but in real life. I think the turnaround might be due to the fact thatthe 750 is big and heavy, (although it really isnt all that heavier than a mckie poweramp and a preamp). The other factor may be the preamp section. The 659/359/750 preamp is a bit "fuzzy" and "woolly". Not distorted, but very warm. I personally liek the sound of demeter and alembic preamps better, but the aggie preamp is a darned good one, and seems to really cut through in a band. It's just not for everyone. The 680 is a very different sounding preamp, kind of more "hi-fi". Don't let the extra knobs scare you, you dont have to use them. In a perfect world aggie would have a head with the 680 preamp and the power section of the 750, but that's my perfect world. I think the 359 is a great head too, and it is loud, but i'd still rather have the 750.

7. Thanks for the info!! In your experiences with the aguilar stuff, can the 750 with its woolier sound, still be dialed in for a little bit more of a "clean" and snappy sound? (does the bright switch provide ample boost in the right areas) Also, is the 750 a real "mid" kind of sound or can it be set as a good full sound with gigantic low end?

8. I own several Aguilar amps. My favourite is the DB680+DB728 pairing, but it weighs a frickin' ton once you've loaded it into an appropriate MB SUS-4 shockmount rack. Sometimes it's worth dragging this monster out, but usually I use my DB750. Another option is the DB680 and a PLX as suggested above, which is a bit lighter and more versatile than the DB750 but also more expensive.

Personally I have found the preamp in the DB750 to sound and behave differently from the DB659, although the difference might simply have been the brand of tubes used. While the DB750 has the "signature" Aggie sound I found it to be less woolly than the DB659. Also it does a great job at clean and snappy sound, and dials in the mids or lows as required. The DB750 is massively powerful and sounds great IMHO. That said, it is heavy... the website says 43lbs and the manual states 46lbs.

9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah, what he said. I heard the difference in the preamps, but it was more subtle than the difference between the 750 and say, a 680 or demeter. I did a review of the 750 here on TB because i was so enemored with it after trying it. Pretty much, If i didnt already own a preamp and my stewart 2.1, i would have bought it in a heartbeat. I even brought down my rig to a/b it as i was seriously considering trading for it. I still hope to buy a 750 one day.

10. The DB680 allows you to add either a tube or solid state power amp of your own choosing with as much wattage as you need. It also offers more control and flexibility, as IvanMike noted. However, a used DB680 will run nearly as much as a used DB750 which includes the power section. IMHO either of the two choices would be an excellent way to go.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My back says it's 106 pounds.

12. It actually does feel more like 64lbs than 46. :)

13. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    awwwwwwwwww munji, you're just spoiled by those dinky eden heads. :p

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, cripe, my WT-800 only weighs 26 pounds. Plus, solid-state pounds are lighter than tube pounds. I just bought a couple more PLX amps ... 3400 watts at 21 pounds.

15. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    [ However, a used DB680 will run nearly as much as a used DB750 which includes the power section. IMHO either of the two choices would be an excellent way to go.[/QUOTE]

Actually, having followed used Aggie stuff for some time, the 680 goes for about 1000, where as every DB750 I've seen has gone for 1400 used.

16. Not to split hairs :rolleyes: , but I picked my pristine used DB750 up for $1200... I think 5/6 qualifies as "nearly as much", but then again perhaps I just lucked out.

17. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I would have to agree... I own a DB359 and the 680/728 combo. I initially bought the 359 and LOVE the sound. I felt I needed a little more power and got the 728. I looked at the 659 and I agree the sound is not the same and will leave you looking for something else. I would recommend the DB680 and your power amp. I've owned a demeter and thought it was a great preamp. I like the sound of the 680 much better and it is much more flexible.

The 750 has a lot of power 750 at 4 ohms and 900 at 2 ohms. It's a monster, but sonically the tube power amp does make a difference. If you're playing that loud, the difference will be bearly noticeable. You'll find out, like with the eden, you will find a sound and not make many changes. Get the 680. I've seen some recently on evil bay around 900

18. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Hello all. . . I've been looking for a head lately to replace my pre/power amp rig(s) and have greatly appreciated all of you weighing in on these Aguilar heads/pre's. So, many thanks! :D

That said, today I went to check out a Thunderfunk and AG 500 to run a comparison based on what I was reading in another thread here (bear with me, this is relevant, I promise). Well, after the AG 500 test run I made the mistake of plugging into a DB 750, just "for the fun of it." I must echo IvanMike's sentiments here, and those in his review. I am completely enamoured of the 750... I was actually very surprised at how well the AG 500 imitated its warmth, and I am planning on picking up a 500 mainly because of this. But since then, my mind has been scheming non-stop on how I can finagle my budget enough for a 750 to show up at my door sometime in the very near future. True that the EQ is not as flexible, but the Deep and Bright switches are nice, and oh the tone. . . I've tried the 359 and 680 in the past -- my vote, hands down, is for the 750!

19. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    SOMEONE BUY THIS
    Last I looked this was a pretty good deal, even for the buy it now price. Not even that far off of how much a AG500 is brand new.

20. Is that your db750? I 've been checkin' it out for the past few days. I just don't know if I want to buy used and get NO warranty for that price. If it's yours, please spell out the details(not specs, but ownership ex.when bought/where/date/and service)