Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar Hybrid

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Obsius29A, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Obsius29A

Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    What's the deal with this amp? Anyone play through it yet/have any idea what it sounds like? When I finally upgrade to a bigger rig, I'm going to want a musical, rich (which means the possibility for a sort of saturated sound without harsh SS clipping) sustaining sound for full sounding held notes, clarity for slapping and funky playing. Essentially I'm playing music that could be best described as a cross between Jethro Tull, Dave Matthews, and heavier sound garden.

So far, I've gotten great results from a Fafner whenever I've played one, and I've always wanted it since playing one years ago, but I'm also curious about Aguilar's line. I figure SS would be more appropriate to delivering that full range sound that lends itself to several different techniques of playing, but that a tube preamp wouldn't be a bad idea. So here's basically what I'm thinking:

Could the 359 be enough to give me the different sounds I'm looking for- or is it going to be less hi-fi than I need? Could the hybrid be perfect? It is a higher wattage than the EBS (I'm worried about using a 600W amp, as I think a lot of good tone comes from big power amps, even if not turned up very loud), but if I ever wanted to get a pair of Wayne Jones cabs or EA or something, would it be enough to drive them? What are the advantages of using the Hybrid over using say the 680 preamp and a huge power amp?

Most likely, I'm going to go with a rig of something like 2 Aguilar or Beargentino 1x12s for big sound and relative portability, so power initially probably wouldn't be a problem. But in the future I really am looking into Wayne Jones and I know those need a lot of power. I'd rather not have to go back and redo the amp part of the rig.